Show recommendation thread

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
She-Hulk - This show is bad. Really bad. CGI looks like the mid-90's when it first started. The only redeeming quality is the cameo's of other characters (Hulk, Abomination, Wong) and moving their stories forward. I think they knew that it was bad which is why they have so many cameos. All they had to do was just focus on the show and instead they decided to go woke and have non-stop talk about man splaining, how horrible/unfair being a woman is, etc. They also skipped 10 years of Hulks growth and gave her all the ability with no struggle or training. As she said it getting whistled at by a construction worker is worse than being hunted, having half your friends die, living on an alien planet for 3 years, etc.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
She-Hulk - This show is bad. Really bad. CGI looks like the mid-90's when it first started. The only redeeming quality is the cameo's of other characters (Hulk, Abomination, Wong) and moving their stories forward. I think they knew that it was bad which is why they have so many cameos. All they had to do was just focus on the show and instead they decided to go woke and have non-stop talk about man splaining, how horrible/unfair being a woman is, etc. They also skipped 10 years of Hulks growth and gave her all the ability with no struggle or training. As she said it getting whistled at by a construction worker is worse than being hunted, having half your friends die, living on an alien planet for 3 years, etc.
Exactly. That is why they have 45 minutes of open closing credits, to hide the 15 minutes of show.

The rings of power is not much better starting out. Hopefully dragons is better. Bunch of directors need drag on the chopping block.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Exactly. That is why they have 45 minutes of open closing credits, to hide the 15 minutes of show.

The rings of power is not much better starting out. Hopefully dragons is better. Bunch of directors need drag on the chopping block.

Tried the first rings of power last night. So boring so far

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
O.A.T.S. Studios Vol. 1 <Netflix> (2017+)

Apparently, this Oats studio started a series for "Neill Blomkamp's disturbing vision of the future on Earth, a computer generated film", which put out the series in 2017 (link for THOSE shows released in order). They follow the premise of a future wear remaining human is a privilege, and some people lose it (ie criminals) and have their mind transferred to an android of sorts with no explanation of what happens tot he bodies or why (presumably, sold so others can move to a younger healthier body). I say 'presumably, because the 'Vol 1' now showing on Netflix is NOT that link I embedded in the second sentence.

What's showing on Netflix is a series of shorts, generally apocalyptic and with most set in the future. The opening live action episode ''Rakka' has Sigourney Weaver leading a military group against some alien reptiles. Episode two 'Firebase' is, I think the only episode, set in the past - Vietnam/Korea specifically, with some local who's family gets killed by we don't know which side, and he 'evolves' into the River God destroying everyone and everything. After that, the episodes somewhat bounce around, so there isn't any real continuity OTHER THAN sprinkling in a few from the OG series about 'Adam' and the brain-to-android future. Of course, they don't give us the first few episodes of that series and instead drop in a few along the way, so we have no context or real means to connect these 'related' Adam episodes. Frustration is mild, but exists.

Net effect is a series of stand alone episodes, some of which are quite funny. For example, 'Cooking with Bill' appears to be an 80's infomercial with a few clips of him and 'Karen' trying to demo products that go horribly wrong (almost on par with Beaker and the Muppet show). My favorite was 'God: Serengeti, Chicago', where we find God in his study readying some book with a large diorama taking up most of the room. The first clip is of a large city (Chicago) where God looks over all the little people in their city, and then orders his butler to light the tall building on fire. God muses what must be going through their minds, and the butler is noticeably concerned for them but God treats them as toys for his amusement with other dire consequences. The second clip 'Serengeti' is more about cavemen and God messing with them via his butler. Oh, there is also 'Kapture' episode with two clips of military nerds trying out new weapons on unsuspecting volunteers. I mean, there's some humor in some, but the rest are more bleak and end of world type stuff. Nearly all of it is pretty well done, and the 'Adam' episodes are of such CGI quality I had a hard time believing they were CGI at times.

No nudity. Good quality (mostly) on the visuals, and decent writing. Not a total waste of your time, but you might want to read the imdb link in the title to pick-and-choose which episodes you actually choose to watch, unless you like a crapshoot. 6.5/10

I think the original Adam series, if watched in succession, might be pretty darn good. I may see if I can download it somewhere.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
Larry Sanders Show. 90s, hilarious.

tumblr_msip19satS1rcoly3o1_400.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're on season 3 of Marcella (Netflix) - it's a British cop show. Marcella is the main character and has a couple of screws loose, decent show. I'd give it a B. The third season kind of goes in a different direction, gets a little weird.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I've been watching DARK on Netflix. It's dubbed in English (which I don't like). Time travel. Lots of twists and turns. It's giving me a headache trying to figure out who's who at what age. People go back and forward with themselves at different ages in the same time. Three seasons. I'm on season 3 now.

It kind of has the feel of LOST ... hope it's not a stupid ending.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I've been watching DARK on Netflix. It's dubbed in English (which I don't like). Time travel. Lots of twists and turns. It's giving me a headache trying to figure out who's who at what age. People go back and forward with themselves at different ages in the same time. Three seasons. I'm on season 3 now.

It kind of has the feel of LOST ... hope it's not a stupid ending.

Got thru s2 and threatened to watch s3, but never have gone back for it. As you say, very confusing. I don’t mind subtitles, and I think the story has potential, it’s just hard to follow at times.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Got thru s2 and threatened to watch s3, but never have gone back for it. As you say, very confusing. I don’t mind subtitles, and I think the story has potential, it’s just hard to follow at times.
I watched 3 episodes into season 3. They went too far. Now there's a parallel world, same characters but different mix of marriages and kids, that goes along with the original world. Also, now the time line gies from the 1820s to 2060s. There was no need to expand like that.

I would need a mainframe computer to keep up with who's kid is who's parent.

I may watch the last episode just to see how they explain all this stuff.
submit season 4 GIF by Black Sails

Last edited:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I watched 3 episodes into season 3. They went too far. Now there's a parallel world, same characters but different mix of marriages and kids, that goes along with the original world. Also, now the time line gies from the 1880s to 2060s. There was no need to expand like that.

I would need a mainframe computer to keep up with who's kid is who's parent.

I may watch the last episode just to see how they explain all this stuff.
submit season 4 GIF by Black Sails
Spoiler Alert: Bobby isn't dead, Pam was just dreaming it all.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Watched Season 5 of Cobra Kai over the weekend...it's entertaining enough and the episodes fly by, but starting to get a bit contrived at this point.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I wound up watching all of S3. The last episode made sense of it all. Not sure it was worth the journey.

7/10

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Was this covered already?
iu

FYI - a fantastic show by the creator of The Wire.
Several actors from the older series are in this one.

And this guy is incredible. I'm glad to see him getting more lead roles.

Jon-Bernthal-We-Own-This-City-Wayne-Jenkins.jpg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Several friends have said they don’t want to watch Yellowstone because of Kevin Costner. They are missing out. I too feel it is the best show EVER! The writer actually plays a character in later seasons. I think it’s in Season 3. He’s a bad actor though. He tried to pitch the series to HBO and they said no thanks, nobody would want to watch that.

View attachment 39355
Lol. I thought he was a real horse show dude which is why he was such a bad actor. I almost turned it off because of constant show horse footage. Once youve seen one or two horse "slides" and horse "sheep dogs" you've seen enough.
Him being the writer explains it. Those scenes stuck out like Coppalas daughter in the Godfather.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Was this covered already?
iu

FYI - a fantastic show by the creator of The Wire.
Several actors from the older series are in this one.

And this guy is incredible. I'm glad to see him getting more lead roles.
Jon-Bernthal-We-Own-This-City-Wayne-Jenkins.jpg

Yep…Jon Bernthal…breakout role was Shane on Walking Dead then he played Punisher in the Netflix series

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.