Show recommendation thread

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m liking this new Keifer Sutherland show on Paramount+, Rabbit Hole. Has Charles Dance from Game of Thrones as well.

And yes, Tulsa King and Mayor of Kingstown are both excellent as well.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I don't know how this series will turn out but the books were great (wool series). I don't have apple TV (I've always hated everything apple) but if it receives good reviews I may watch it.

Ohh I have a thing for Rebecca Ferguson.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We're about 6 episodes into Mayor of Kingstown, very good (another Sheridan show), very dark with some brutal scenes.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We went and saw Covenant on Tuesday night (with Jake Gyllenhaal, written/directed by Guy Ritchie). Really good movie, lots of action.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We went and saw Covenant on Tuesday night (with Jake Gyllenhaal, written/directed by Guy Ritchie). Really good movie, lots of action.
I really like Guy Ritchie movies and I like the subject of this movie, but was REALLY worried that it would be a schitshow... glad to hear you liked it, I might try to go see it on the big screen.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I really like Guy Ritchie movies and I like the subject of this movie, but was REALLY worried that it would be a schitshow... glad to hear you liked it, I might try to go see it on the big screen.
At the very end they put up some notes on the screen, something like, "After 20 years, the US pulled out of Afghanistan on August XX, 2021" then the next was, "After 30 days the Taliban regained control of the country". That seemed like a direct shot at the current administration, which was surprising.

It also showed that there were several thousand interpreters that assisted the US during this time and that many of them never got visas, were killed by ISIS/Taliban, and/or were in hiding.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
At the very end they put up some notes on the screen, something like, "After 20 years, the US pulled out of Afghanistan on August XX, 2021" then the next was, "After 30 days the Taliban regained control of the country". That seemed like a direct shot at the current administration, which was surprising.

It also showed that there were several thousand interpreters that assisted the US during this time and that many of them never got visas, were killed by ISIS/Taliban, and/or were in hiding.
OK, I went to see it this afternoon... here's my quick take:
  • I'm not going to nit pick stuff because Ritchie made the point that needed to be made, and he made it well.
  • Ritchie wrote the story to take place "pre-collapse," and I get why he did that for a movie.
  • He did Jake Gyllenhaal's character well, but he really nailed the Terp, and the actor playing the Terp nailed his role (even if he is an Iraqi by birth).
  • I liked that more than half the movie was focused on the Terp and why we should care about them.
  • I liked that it showed the utter frustration and hopelessness that Gyllenhaal's character had to deal with in relation to the State Dept and the SIV "process." You have no idea how bad it was for more than 10 years in real life, but you get a feel for it.
  • It really pissed me off all over again, so, "mission accomplished" Guy Ritchie.
Just some other notes for everyone regarding SIVs:
  • The program started in 2009.
  • No visas were issued until I think 2014.
  • Well under 50,000 have been issued between Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Of the 100,000 Biden and crew flew out of Kabul in the end, and that they claim as the most successful airlift ever, less than 10,000 were SIV applicants let alone recipients.
  • In both Iraq and especially Afghanistan, the State Dept made sure that they got their people out. They never did, nor do they to this day, give a single fuk about Dept of Defense/OGA applicants. During/immediate post collapse, State also gave almost exclusive focus to women and women's groups (like the girl's teenage soccer team) because they got high profile press internationally.
  • The press has focused on "interpreters" because the SOCOM community has pushed it, and that is good (and it's what this movie is about, a SOCOM/ODA Terp). Again, State made sure they got their terps/clerks/janitors, and everybody else out, DOD/OGA left to their own devices, and that's kind of what the movie highlights. What has really gotten left out is all the Afghans that were either Afghan NDS or supported US OGAs. We worked post collapse to get as many of them and their families out as possible, with ZERO official help from the USG (but individuals did help out a LOT, at least as much as they could). Far more of them have been hunted down than terps.
  • Someday, I hope that a good movie is made about what we did as TF Pineapple... it is truly unbelievable (and Glenn Beck was a big help). I have never been part of a more amazing coalition/matrix of people, operating globally basically on whatsapp and signal, accomplishing what was accomplished in especially the first 30-90 days post-collapse.
  • I was able to get my two most important families out (no help from USG)... they have been applicants since 2015. One of them is currently living in Turkey, the other in UAE... State Dept "still working on it."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
OK, I went to see it this afternoon... here's my quick take:
  • I'm not going to nit pick stuff because Ritchie made the point that needed to be made, and he made it well.
  • Ritchie wrote the story to take place "pre-collapse," and I get why he did that for a movie.
  • He did Jake Gyllenhaal's character well, but he really nailed the Terp, and the actor playing the Terp nailed his role (even if he is an Iraqi by birth).
  • I liked that more than half the movie was focused on the Terp and why we should care about them.
  • I liked that it showed the utter frustration and hopelessness that Gyllenhaal's character had to deal with in relation to the State Dept and the SIV "process." You have no idea how bad it was for more than 10 years in real life, but you get a feel for it.
  • It really pissed me off all over again, so, "mission accomplished" Guy Ritchie.
Just some other notes for everyone regarding SIVs:
  • The program started in 2009.
  • No visas were issued until I think 2014.
  • Well under 50,000 have been issued between Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Of the 100,000 Biden and crew flew out of Kabul in the end, and that they claim as the most successful airlift ever, less than 10,000 were SIV applicants let alone recipients.
  • In both Iraq and especially Afghanistan, the State Dept made sure that they got their people out. They never did, nor do they to this day, give a single fuk about Dept of Defense/OGA applicants. During/immediate post collapse, State also gave almost exclusive focus to women and women's groups (like the girl's teenage soccer team) because they got high profile press internationally.
  • The press has focused on "interpreters" because the SOCOM community has pushed it, and that is good (and it's what this movie is about, a SOCOM/ODA Terp). Again, State made sure they got their terps/clerks/janitors, and everybody else out, DOD/OGA left to their own devices, and that's kind of what the movie highlights. What has really gotten left out is all the Afghans that were either Afghan NDS or supported US OGAs. We worked post collapse to get as many of them and their families out as possible, with ZERO official help from the USG (but individuals did help out a LOT, at least as much as they could). Far more of them have been hunted down than terps.
  • Someday, I hope that a good movie is made about what we did as TF Pineapple... it is truly unbelievable (and Glenn Beck was a big help). I have never been part of a more amazing coalition/matrix of people, operating globally basically on whatsapp and signal, accomplishing what was accomplished in especially the first 30-90 days post-collapse.
  • I was able to get my two most important families out (no help from USG)... they have been applicants since 2015. One of them is currently living in Turkey, the other in UAE... State Dept "still working on it."
Good stuff Deet! Glad you went and watched, I think it was a damn near homerun for Ritchie, and it was sort of outside of his wheelhouse. Gyllenhaal's character (and acting) were very good, imo - and outside of his character, there really weren't any "big name" actors in this.

This is something that, honestly, is so shameful on our State Dept - the southern border is currently wide f*cking open, but we can't give out visas to these folks?? Love hearing about your experiences - although it makes me angry hearing about the pushback/lack of support you've received. I just don't get what the State Dept is thinking here. (also - what happened during the Trump admin that these people didn't get their visas?).

I think you need to write up a script for the TF Pineapple movie!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Isn't that a movie. If only we had a thread for movies. Cause it would be absolute anarchy to post a film review in the TV show thread. But, alas it's another omen. The break down of societal norms. Lowering of IQs. Cats sleeping with dogs. The world's coming to the end I tell ya.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Isn't that a movie. If only we had a thread for movies. Cause it would be absolute anarchy to post a film review in the TV show thread. But, alas it's another omen. The break down of societal norms. Lowering of IQs. Cats sleeping with dogs. The world's coming to the end I tell ya.

Chaos
:panic:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We finished it. Really enjoyed it. Since Renner got runover by the snowplow, I'm guessing they're going to cancel this or shelve it for a year or two, which sucks.
So now snowplows are like guns? They just do things autonomously?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Son now snowplows are like guns? They just do things autonomously?!?!?!?!?
Did you read the story? He got runover by his own (unmanned) snowplow. Classic case of not using the emergency brake. lol

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Did you read the story? He got runover by his own (unmanned) snowplow. Classic case of not using the emergency brake. lol
I'm familiar with the story, but I'd say he effectively ran over himself through dumbassery! It wasn't like his multi-ton snowplow, that he was driving and fell out of, "went rogue" on him! :lol:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm familiar with the story, but I'd say he effectively ran over himself through dumbassery! It wasn't like his multi-ton snowplow, that he was driving and fell out of, "went rogue" on him! :lol:
Yes, he stopped it, got out (and didn't set the brake properly) and it ran his ass over, breaking 30+ bones. He's in rehab now, I saw a post of him walking on a treadmill, so I don't see him filming another season for a while, unless he's way ahead of his rehab schedule.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.