Show recommendation thread

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Ted Lasso - a really enjoyable series. Two thumbs up. Good, well written, clean, crisp, funny entertainment.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The Diplomat on Netflix didn't suck balls. Light geopolitical drama with that chick that used to be kinda hot but then cut her hair. Comically diverse cast but they don't make a thing of it. Nice to see Pee Wee Herman working again.:lol2:
Her husband is the star of the show though. Steals every scene he's in. Good for falling a sleep on the couch.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I tried to watch the first episode of White House Plumbers with Woody Harrelson. Based on the guys behind Watergate working for Nixon. First episode was horrible to get through.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I tried to watch the first episode of White House Plumbers with Woody Harrelson. Based on the guys behind Watergate working for Nixon. First episode was horrible to get through.
Nixon agrees.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I guess this is the TV show thread so here goes.
My dad said two things that made me go :huh" in my 63 years with him. One was that Let It Be by the Beatles was the greatest song. I still wonder if I heard him say it. The other was he loved the Big Bang Theory. He was 85 then. I watched lots of TV when I was young and there wasnt "much TV" We had two channels. NBC and CBS. But it seemed like much of it was good. i wont bore you with the usual litany of sitcoms and characters. But I will reveal this about what I think are the most iconic characters the last 60 years. Three that standout and two you cant really ignore.
Barney Fife (ErnestTBass was amazing)
Cosmo Kramer
Sheldon Cooper.
They began Andy Griffis with Andy as the comedian (as he was in life) but it became quickly apparent Barney was the one to perform comedy. Show was written wonderfully and took its time to make you laugh or think. Not frantic like now days. Knotts was amazing..............
Kramer evolved on the show along with his hair. You could not take your eyes off him when he burst in. He was out there and enthusiasm was his schtick. His lines were all time great. They need a reunion show. Btw Kramer was the only real person on the show you could actually like.
Sheldon Cooper: Im reading the tell all about the show now. What an amazing character they created and they KNEW he was the one the minute he audtioned. He worked his ass off to be Sheldon. Chuck Lorre is a genius. THe cast and writing were as good as it gets. They cared about each other. Penny and Leonard actually were a couple the first few years. The smithsonian now has some of their set and stuff.
Archie Bunker stands alone as the transition from funny to "funny and this is our world who's side are you on".
Lucy Ball is the best woman hands down for comedy on TV. Carol Burnett is the only one I can think of to be #2.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I guess this is the TV show thread so here goes.
My dad said two things that made me go :huh" in my 63 years with him. One was that Let It Be by the Beatles was the greatest song. I still wonder if I heard him say it. The other was he loved the Big Bang Theory. He was 85 then. I watched lots of TV when I was young and there wasnt "much TV" We had two channels. NBC and CBS. But it seemed like much of it was good. i wont bore you with the usual litany of sitcoms and characters. But I will reveal this about what I think are the most iconic characters the last 60 years. Three that standout and two you cant really ignore.
Barney Fife (ErnestTBass was amazing)
Cosmo Kramer
Sheldon Cooper.
They began Andy Griffis with Andy as the comedian (as he was in life) but it became quickly apparent Barney was the one to perform comedy. Show was written wonderfully and took its time to make you laugh or think. Not frantic like now days. Knotts was amazing..............
Kramer evolved on the show along with his hair. You could not take your eyes off him when he burst in. He was out there and enthusiasm was his schtick. His lines were all time great. They need a reunion show. Btw Kramer was the only real person on the show you could actually like.
Sheldon Cooper: Im reading the tell all about the show now. What an amazing character they created and they KNEW he was the one the minute he audtioned. He worked his ass off to be Sheldon. Chuck Lorre is a genius. THe cast and writing were as good as it gets. They cared about each other. Penny and Leonard actually were a couple the first few years. The smithsonian now has some of their set and stuff.
Archie Bunker stands alone as the transition from funny to "funny and this is our world who's side are you on".
Lucy Ball is the best woman hands down for comedy on TV. Carol Burnett is the only one I can think of to be #2.
Never saw Kramer but certainly agree with the rest.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Wife & I never watched Seinfeld either, don't recall exactly why. Just never have tuned into much of anything on NBC other than a few sporting events.
I never watched it when the show was actually on NBC, got absolutely hooked when it went to syndication. WKRP was the same way... a little too young to care about it when it was on prime time, but the summer between my junior and senior year of HS, it was on every night on channel 50 (tv dial wise, not cable) opposite local news and I got hooked... loved that show. In hindsight, WKRP was almost like The Office in the way it was done.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I never watched it when the show was actually on NBC, got absolutely hooked when it went to syndication. WKRP was the same way... a little too young to care about it when it was on prime time, but the summer between my junior and senior year of HS, it was on every night on channel 50 (tv dial wise, not cable) opposite local news and I got hooked... loved that show. In hindsight, WKRP was almost like The Office in the way it was done.

I did basically the same thing as you but with Taxi. Never watched it until was on in syndication and airing at like 5 pm before the 6 pm news.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017

Andy Griffith Show, not Griffis.

Although I have some cousins named Griffis in Bradford county.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

Same. Never really watched Seinfeld until my 30’s but can’t not watch it now. Cheers was also one I caught later in my 20’s.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The Diplomat on Netflix didn't suck balls. Light geopolitical drama with that chick that used to be kinda hot but then cut her hair. Comically diverse cast but they don't make a thing of it. Nice to see Pee Wee Herman working again.:lol2:
Her husband is the star of the show though. Steals every scene he's in. Good for falling a sleep on the couch.
Thanks for suggestion. Four episodes in and it’s not bad.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Has anyone mentioned Jury Duty with James Marsden? Daughter says it's good, I'm intrigued. It's Basically "The Truman Show Does Jury Duty," but the one juror (think Truman) is actually a regular dude that has no idea everyone else is an actor.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
1685227616154.jpeg

Has anyone tried Loudermilk on Amazon? We made it to season 2. It’s definitely watchable with some funny parts. Not the worst show ever. So far I’d give it a 6.5/10. Loudermilk heads up a rehab support group. Every episode is based around a therapy session.

Last edited:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
View attachment 57982

Has anyone tried Loudermilk on Amazon? We made it to season 2. It’s definitely watchable with some funny parts. Not the worst show ever. So far I’d give it a 6.5/10. Loudermilk heads up a rehab support group. Every episode is based around a therapy session.

I’ll check it out. Ever since Office Space I try to see most of what he’s in.

Last episode of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel was poo. Such a good show to go out on a stinker.

Last episodes of Barry and Ted Lasso this week.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Apple TV Foundation
Watched season one of Asaac Isimovs The Foundation. Disappointing. They switched all the male characters in the book to females in the series, all black, and took liberties with the storyline that have nothing to do with anything. Making classic Sci-Fi into PC garbage is just sad.
sad star trek GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb