SI- Ranking all 69 Power 5 Schools Based on Desirability Ratings

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Ranking all 69 Power 5 schools by college sports value - Sports Illustrated.

Interesting topic and read. Nice to UF still considered a top 10 job.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Gene Smith Shares Importance of USC, UCLA Additions for Ohio State and the College Football Landscape

Desirability Ratings: Measuring Each Power 5 School’s Conference Value​

In the midst of another realignment era, we break down all 69 to determine which would be most coveted if conferences were starting over.

Since the afternoon of June 30, when the college sports landscape abruptly lurched and shifted again beneath our feet, everyone has stewed over what the future will hold. When the realignment tremors subside, how consolidated will the elite level be? How many schools, in how many conferences, will command the highest revenue shares and (at least in theory) the best chance to win national championships?
The only certainty at this point is that the Big Ten and Southeastern Conference are the biggest and richest, pumping up their membership to 16 each in the coming years with the additions of USC and UCLA in the Big Ten and Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. The question is how serious they are about continuing to get bigger and richer, and which acquisitions might further their power grab. Everyone is weighing options, as the 37 Power 5 schools remaining in the Atlantic Coast, Big 12 and Pac-12 jockey for position.
So this latest existential crisis in college sports seemed like a good inflection point for examining who really brings what to the table among the 69 schools currently in the Power 5, or ticketed to arrive in 2023. If you were to blow up every league and hold a draft to redistribute the balance of power, what does your draft board look like?
Maybe it would look like Sports Illustrated’s Power 5 Desirability Ratings—sure to infuriate, possibly to educate. Regardless, this is an attempt to apply some metrics to the debate. We ranked all 69 schools (see below for full list) against one another in five areas, some of which we know move the needle in terms of adding value to a conference, and some of which get a lot of lip service by leaders.

The categories:
In-depth analysis, unrivaled access. Get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED's best stories every weekday. Sign up now.
  • Football ranking: This is a five-year average of the Sagarin ratings from 2017 to ’21, using only the current and future Power 5 schools. Sagarin’s numbers are by no means infallible, but they do rank everyone and have been in popular use for a long time, so they’ll serve the purpose here. The top school: Alabama, to the surprise of no one. The worst: Kansas, also the surprise of no one.
  • Academic ranking: This is simply the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s national universities rankings, released in 2021. University presidents like to talk about this metric. So do TV execs, when they’re trying to justify moving UCLA into the same league with Michigan and Northwestern. The top academic school among the Power 5: Stanford. The school at the bottom: West Virginia.
  • All-sports ranking: This is the Learfield Directors’ Cup Division I standings for the 2021–22 academic year, which rates performance in 19 sports, with the mandatory sport counters being baseball, men’s and women’s basketball and women’s volleyball. The top overall athletic program: Texas, for the second straight year. The laggard of the Power 5: Cincinnati, which didn’t have much to back up that breakthrough football season.
  • Football attendance: This was an average of home-game attendance (via NCAA data) from 2017 to ’21, tossing out ’20 since that season was heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. How big is your stadium? And how many fans do you bring to it for home games? Size matters. The top draw: Michigan in the Big House. Fewest butts in seats: Duke, which last year averaged a sad 15,424 fans per home game.

• Broadcast viewership: This was the total number of football games that drew one million or more viewers: from 2017 to ’21, also tossing out ’20 due to the wide disparity in number of games played across the country. Citing media markets can be misleading; Rutgers being in the New York market doesn’t mean the Scarlet Knights are delivering an audience. The number of games watched by a million or more people better illustrates which teams are actually bringing eyeballs to screens. The program with the most games that reached the one million benchmark: Oklahoma. The programs few have tuned in to watch in recent years: Oregon State, Rutgers and Duke.
The overall top pick in a blow-it-up-and-start-over iteration of big-time college athletics would be Ohio State. The Buckeyes check all boxes: football excellence, quality academics, all-sports success and a massive alumni base/fan following that fills the stadium and watches the broadcasts. They narrowly outscore Big Ten counterpart Michigan.

Sports Illustrated’s Power 5 Desirability Ratings​

Overall rankingSchoolFootball rankAcademicsAll sportsAttendanceViewershipTotal
1.Ohio State220(t)432(t)31
2.Michigan168315(t)33
3.Notre Dame658162(t)37
4.Texas12(t)14177(t)41
5.Georgia3191885(t)53
6. Florida1811(t)51212(t)58
7.Wisconsin817231512(t)75
8.Oklahoma552(t)1013181
9.USC30101223(t)984
10.Alabama155(t)214485

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
We are a Top school.
Yet where are the other ELITE public universities...maybe Wisconsin? Why can't we be more like OSU...a very good school with HUGE enrollment but not elite...what does elite gain you?
Again what's the objective?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We are a Top school.
Yet where are the other ELITE public universities...maybe Wisconsin? Why can't we be more like OSU...a very good school with HUGE enrollment but not elite...what does elite gain you?

Clearly to upset you.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We are a Top school.
I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. I want UF to be an elite school. Be elite academically. And be elite athletically.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ranked 18 in football, 11 in academics, and 5 in all sports. I thought UF would have a better ranking in all of these categories.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Wisconsin at #7?

Spock Encerio GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ranked 18 in football, 11 in academics, and 5 in all sports. I thought UF would have a better ranking in all of these categories.

I was thrown off by the football ranking as well. Unless you’re creating a factor that considers path to success(East, SEC, NC), or current state of rivals like um and uga and the impact it has on our own recruiting, there is no chance 17 schools are a better football destination. I’m not sure there’s 5.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I was also thrown off by those numbers but then I read that it was a composite score based off the last 5 years, minus '20 due to COVID, and I was like "oh ok".

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. I want UF to be an elite school. Be elite academically. And be elite athletically.
What is elite academically? So an Ohio State grad is so much less than a UF grad today...how?

If you meet the standards, you should get in...The rest is fluff

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I don’t want retards in the school.
Have you seen this site?...Better yet, check out TOS Country/Swamp Gas...no don't...it's mostly window lickers.

So you're cool with elite Wasserman-Schultz, Morgan & Morgan, Nikki Fried...

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I was also thrown off by those numbers but then I read that it was a composite score based off the last 5 years, minus '20 due to COVID, and I was like "oh ok".
Even so, I'd expect us to be at least a little higher in those 3 categories.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You just can't help yourself...
NOPE... I don't want UF becoming a Vandy, Tulane, Duke, or UC Berkley. Wisconsin struggles with this feces.

We can be both...Top Football/Basketball/Baseball/ Swimming and Top Academically....And they can add more slots without lowering standards...and @Detroitgator when you meet the requirements but all places are filled...how does losing those students make you more elite?

They no longer take all JUCO's only some A.A.s.

What does being Top 10 vs Top 20 get you? And here is another tid bit...I read it's UF's alumni networking (one of the most active alumni bases) that helps with jobs MORE than ranking...You add more alumni (within reason) you add more potential networking...FACT

In my field...aTm is very effective.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You just can't help yourself...

This from Inc.

Instead, you're likely to consider only candidates with credentials from solid schools. And if you compare these grads to Ivy Leaguers, the jump in performance was just one percent.

"We found that graduates from higher-ranked universities tend to excessively focus on the instrumental tasks, often at the expense of paying insufficient attention to interpersonal relationships. In some instances, graduates from top universities tend to be less friendly, are more prone to conflict, and are less likely to identify with their team."

Each individual candidate and company is different, so there are no definitive answers, except perhaps a reminder not to be dazzled by big name schools. Think carefully about the trade-offs you're likely facing. For many positions, a worse degree is the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb