SI weighs in on declining college football attendance

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Oh......and play like you have seen a football before.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How many home sellouts did we have during Spurrier’s reign? We had a ton of them in a row.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All of them.....Just win, Baby!

It was the same during Meyer’s time. Probably not much different when Zook was around. If you went to a game, it was presumed the student section would be filled. Alums have ALWAYS showed up.

What happens when we all die?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was the same during Meyer’s time. Probably not much different when Zook was around. If you went to a game, it was presumed the student section would be filled. Alums have ALWAYS showed up.

What happens when we all die?

Wasn't the streak broken under Muschamp? I might be wrong

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The last part of the article basically confirms what a lot of us have felt all along. Obviously there is an ebb and flow based on program competitiveness and on field performance - good teams for the most part are a better draw then meh teams, but outside of that the cost to get a ticket, park, buy a drink and a hot dog and for those that aren't local, stay the night in a hotel and front the gas money plus spend basically 70% of a weekend in transit is an increasingly hard sell compared to watching it on a flat screen 65" ultra HD with all the accompaniments you'd like from the comfort of your own couch, plus any other game you'd like to watch and not having to spend the rest of the weekend traveling.

People were willing when it was cheaper, and when the TV alternative just wasnt very good. But those days are pretty much over.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He’s like the younger brother who you have to kick the shyt out of every once in a while. But there’s still Christmas and Thanksgiving together.
You better be doing some curls. Those are impressive biceps but you dont fight w beach muscles.

And bring a friend.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't the streak broken under Muschamp? I might be wrong
The streak broke during a cupcake game at some point in the middle of Muschamp’s tenure, can’t remember which.

All schools just need to start focusing on a more comfortable game experience for fans. Stop forcing them to squish into narrow seats on bleachers and start putting in chair backs throughout the stadium. I love going to games, and we’ve only missed one home game since Mullen was hired, but sometimes they are absolutely miserable whether we win or lose.

We can talk about punishing student blocks who don’t show up, or lowering ticket prices, or selling beer, or lowering concession prices and improving the quality of food all we want. All of those are just stopgaps. When you can sit at home on the couch in the air conditioning, watch the game on a giant HDTV, and make your own food, why spend the money and effort to sit on a hard ass bleacher for 3.5 hours? And this is across the board, not just Florida. People aren’t as interested in going to games anymore because more often than not it’s not as convenient as staying home.

So once we get over our pride about max capacity in the stadium, we can lower the capacity and make it a better experience for those who want to go. The glory days of 90K plus attendance figures are gone, and they aren’t coming back.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The streak broke during a cupcake game at some point in the middle of Muschamp’s tenure, can’t remember which.

All schools just need to start focusing on a more comfortable game experience for fans. Stop forcing them to squish into narrow seats on bleachers and start putting in chair backs throughout the stadium. I love going to games, and we’ve only missed one home game since Mullen was hired, but sometimes they are absolutely miserable whether we win or lose.

We can talk about punishing student blocks who don’t show up, or lowering ticket prices, or selling beer, or lowering concession prices and improving the quality of food all we want. All of those are just stopgaps. When you can sit at home on the couch in the air conditioning, watch the game on a giant HDTV, and make your own food, why spend the money and effort to sit on a hard ass bleacher for 3.5 hours? And this is across the board, not just Florida. People aren’t as interested in going to games anymore because more often than not it’s not as convenient as staying home.

So once we get over our pride about max capacity in the stadium, we can lower the capacity and make it a better experience for those who want to go. The glory days of 90K plus attendance figures are gone, and they aren’t coming back.

This speaks to access among other things, which includes those awful metal seats. There was a time when UF home games were blacked out. It was show up or listen to Otis Boggs.

And, yes, as usual, I fossilize myself in making a point.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
What in the hell ever happened to the concept of going to a football game to watch football?
That was my first thought this morning. The last few years at the games I saw a lot of nonsense and blllsht. I was thinking I was at some triple A baseball game trying to get asses in the seats. I am there to see some football and hopefully a big win. Sas is riight about the seats. Need chair backs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was my first thought this morning. The last few years at the games I saw a lot of nonsense and blllsht. I was thinking I was at some triple A baseball game trying to get asses in the seats. I am there to see some football and hopefully a big win. Sas is riight about the seats. Need chair backs.

Honestly? We need to stop acting like this is Boston, piling new on top of old. We need a brand-new football stadium.

And speaking of Boston, there’s no answer as to where we go after we demolish BHG.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
none of my business but how is that gonna help you fight someone?
He has beautiful biceps, Im told.

maybe it would intimidate someone who doesn't know any better.

sun's out, guns out!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
what year was it when they stopped allowing the students to sell their tickets?

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He has beautiful biceps, Im told.

maybe it would intimidate someone who doesn't know any better.

sun's out, guns out!

You ever notice most of the people that wear those tank tops are doing it ironically? And yeah if they’re large some ppl might be intimidated by that...just like really loud ppl seem to intimidate others a lot...weird

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The last part of the article basically confirms what a lot of us have felt all along. Obviously there is an ebb and flow based on program competitiveness and on field performance - good teams for the most part are a better draw then meh teams, but outside of that the cost to get a ticket, park, buy a drink and a hot dog and for those that aren't local, stay the night in a hotel and front the gas money plus spend basically 70% of a weekend in transit is an increasingly hard sell compared to watching it on a flat screen 65" ultra HD with all the accompaniments you'd like from the comfort of your own couch, plus any other game you'd like to watch and not having to spend the rest of the weekend traveling.

People were willing when it was cheaper, and when the TV alternative just wasnt very good. But those days are pretty much over.
It’s why I stay home. But I I don’t have a 65 inch set...it’s 75. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb