SI weighs in on declining college football attendance

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wasn't the streak broken under Muschamp? I might be wrong

I had to google this...but looks like it was under Muschamp. I thought it might have happened under Zook because tickets were so easy to get it was embarassing.

I sat in the Champion's Club at least 5 times during the Zook era and never paid more than $40 for the seats. I sat on the same row as Gale Lemerand the day they dedicated the naming of North-South Drive in his name....he was literally about 10 seats away from me and I paid $40 to sit there (Thanks Ron Zook!).

I remember being handed free tickets before a couple of games during the Zook era. We'd use them to leave the stadium and run to Porpoise - like the old days - and get back in w/ the unused ticket.

Muschamp era begins with end of sellout streak

Muschamp era begins with end of sellout streak

It was the beginning of a new era at Florida and also the end of an old one. Will Muschamp’s debut was a success, but the 137-game streak ended for sellouts at The Swamp. Florida officials were quick to point out Florida Atlantic returned a bunch of tickets, but it’s not like the first time a team has returned tickets. Certainly, when it costs a family of four $200 just for tickets to see the Gators play (not to mention everything else that goes along with a UF game), that family is going to think twice. More annoying was that the game started with thousands of empty seats and by the start of the fourth quarter those seats and many more were empty again. Nice way to welcome your new coach. The Back Nine has decided to blame everything on the economy. Those three interceptions the Gators threw? The economy. Georgia’s defense? The economy.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'll give a potential reason. I would love to be part of civic organization and volunteer at church, SA, soup kitchen, but my job just does not allow it. I have to be on pretty much 7 days a week. I know part is my fault (want to get ahead) but the competition is fierce and mama wants a new pair shoes (this is what prevents me today). Otherwise, I'd tell them to **** off.
There are all kinds of ways to give support or belong.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Honestly? We need to stop acting like this is Boston, piling new on top of old. We need a brand-new football stadium.

And speaking of Boston, there’s no answer as to where we go after we demolish BHG.

Agreed keep the shell but its time for a complete gut renovation. I ordered the seat backs a couple years ago and it was worse. Total rip off. Section 10 at the time and just squeezed like sardines. Miserable times, well Butters was there too. Furthermore the food sucks. WTF the UAA needs to pull the concessions out of the 1980’s.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I had season tickets from 1979 through 2013. There are lots of reasons I stopped going:
Day games are hot, brutally hot.
TV time outs, not only do they kill excitement they are boring to sit through.
There are maybe 1-2 decent games a season.
Honestly, the stadium is kinda low rent.
Chump ball was the last straw.
In the early days we made a weekend out of it either getting a hotel in G'vlle or staying with a friend in Ocala. Once kids came it became a day trip. But the entire Saturday was burned and you didn't get a chance to see other games.
In the 80's it was just a big party and a lot of fun (and I was younger). In the 90's it felt like we were the center of the football universe and in the 2000's for a time we were the center of the football universe. So it was worth the effort to go to see games. Chump killed that and butters just continued the trend. Mullen has made Gator football fun again and I may make a game in the future but I can't see ever buying season tickets again.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I had season tickets from 1979 through 2013. There are lots of reasons I stopped going:
Day games are hot, brutally hot.
TV time outs, not only do they kill excitement they are boring to sit through.
There are maybe 1-2 decent games a season.
Honestly, the stadium is kinda low rent.
Chump ball was the last straw.
In the early days we made a weekend out of it either getting a hotel in G'vlle or staying with a friend in Ocala. Once kids came it became a day trip. But the entire Saturday was burned and you didn't get a chance to see other games.
In the 80's it was just a big party and a lot of fun (and I was younger). In the 90's it felt like we were the center of the football universe and in the 2000's for a time we were the center of the football universe. So it was worth the effort to go to see games. Chump killed that and butters just continued the trend. Mullen has made Gator football fun again and I may make a game in the future but I can't see ever buying season tickets again.

And there are still people that think Foley is the GOAT of AD's. smh

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah but your blacksmith bills were much higher.
You don't get to be old bein' no fool.......Richard Pryor. the next line was "there are lots of young folks dead as a mtthhrffkkrr."
Graduated from UF in 78 (and then again in 84). I have read about blacksmiths but never really saw one.
original.jpg

I have observed there are a few posters in here that do not hesitate to take shots at those of us with more "experience". All I can assume is they are aware of us and see what they may become one day and it causes some anxiety. When I was growing up you respected and listened to older people. They knew and saw stuff we had no clue about. Wisdom does come with age (at least if you are paying attention). Im not saying I am a fount of knowledge or sage about life but I tried to pay attention. I always thought it was amazing my dad or grandfather could talk to Civil War veterans. I was fortunate to talk to many combat vets from WW2. Living or oral history is the best.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You don't get to be old bein' no fool.......Richard Pryor. the next line was "there are lots of young folks dead as a mtthhrffkkrr."
Graduated from UF in 78 (and then again in 84). I have read about blacksmiths but never really saw one.
original.jpg

I have observed there are a few posters in here that do not hesitate to take shots at those of us with more "experience". All I can assume is they are aware of us and see what they may become one day and it causes some anxiety. When I was growing up you respected and listened to older people. They knew and saw stuff we had no clue about. Wisdom does come with age (at least if you are paying attention). Im not saying I am a fount of knowledge or sage about life but I tried to pay attention. I always thought it was amazing my dad or grandfather could talk to Civil War veterans. I was fortunate to talk to many combat vets from WW2. Living or oral history is the best.
A sense of humor helps. I'm younger than you, but at 50+ I've been fielding jokes about my age for quite some time... from my kids, friends and coworkers. What's really freaking me out is that I'm one of the oldest members of my unit these days, including the command. Eek.

Anyway, I roll with the punches because that's really all I can do. I find other avenues to counterpunch to keep it fun. This board should be no different.

BTW - your post could've been a LOT shorter if you just said, "Get off my lawn!"

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Completely agree with everything you said, CG. I was smiling while typing all of it. And I do get wordy at times. Back to topic. I discovered SI in our school library at 17 and was hooked for the next 40+ years, I had it lapse recently and when they offer it cheap I will buy it again. The writing and format is not what it used to be.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
original.jpg

Not laughing at you, laughing with you. I am not that far behind.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
A sense of humor helps. I'm younger than you, but at 50+ I've been fielding jokes about my age for quite some time... from my kids, friends and coworkers. What's really freaking me out is that I'm one of the oldest members of my unit these days, including the command. Eek.

Anyway, I roll with the punches because that's really all I can do. I find other avenues to counterpunch to keep it fun. This board should be no different.

BTW - your post could've been a LOT shorter if you just said, "Get off my lawn!"

You're in your 50s? I thought you were younger than me. Btw, June 13th is the date....in Arlington.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ok so I looked it up. The sellout streak ended the first game of Muschamp’s tenure against FAU. FAU returned a bunch of tickets that weren’t picked up and that was that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just to be clear, I was born in 1878 and washed horses for Henry Ford to get through college.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well it's true that you can age just by association....I've not been frequenting the board as much over the last 3 weeks or so and my knee has quit aching, my vision got a little clearer and AARP quit sending me junk mail...

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You're in your 50s? I thought you were younger than me. Btw, June 13th is the date....in Arlington.
I joined late. I was a Senior Chief before I caught up with my peer group, agewise.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Well it's true that you can age just by association....I've not been frequenting the board as much over the last 3 weeks or so and my knee has quit aching, my vision got a little clearer and AARP quit sending me junk mail...
Yes, we've ALL experienced that during the same time frame. Not sure the correlation is quite what you think it is. I wonder what the common denominator might be?

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Completely agree with everything you said, CG. I was smiling while typing all of it. And I do get wordy at times. Back to topic. I discovered SI in our school library at 17 and was hooked for the next 40+ years, I had it lapse recently and when they offer it cheap I will buy it again. The writing and format is not what it used to be.
The Athletic provides the quality of journalism you’re looking for.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Ok so I looked it up. The sellout streak ended the first game of Muschamp’s tenure against FAU. FAU returned a bunch of tickets that weren’t picked up and that was that.

Look at the link I posted in post #84, it says the streak ended on Muschamp's very first game as UF coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb