SI weighs in on declining college football attendance

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
I had season tickets from 1979 through 2013. There are lots of reasons I stopped going:
Day games are hot, brutally hot.
TV time outs, not only do they kill excitement they are boring to sit through.
There are maybe 1-2 decent games a season.
Honestly, the stadium is kinda low rent.
Chump ball was the last straw.
In the early days we made a weekend out of it either getting a hotel in G'vlle or staying with a friend in Ocala. Once kids came it became a day trip. But the entire Saturday was burned and you didn't get a chance to see other games.
In the 80's it was just a big party and a lot of fun (and I was younger). In the 90's it felt like we were the center of the football universe and in the 2000's for a time we were the center of the football universe. So it was worth the effort to go to see games. Chump killed that and butters just continued the trend. Mullen has made Gator football fun again and I may make a game in the future but I can't see ever buying season tickets again.

This matches my path almost exactly. It was an electric social event from Pell through Meyer decades. The game time experience declined under Chump, and all of sudden you start contemplating the oppressive heat, the lack of elbow room, the long drive home... my kids and wife couldn’t see why it should take precedent over other things to do on a Saturday with dad. Fooley’s back-to-back dumbass hires lost a generation of little Gators. White is damaging hoops the same way if something isn’t done soon and done right. Lessons from the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb