Single plane swing

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Any golfers here ever experiment with the single plane swing like Bryson DeChambeau uses? The old Moe Norman method? DeChambeau is such an interesting cat. I love the way he approaches the game but I've never actually tried to perform that sort of golf swing.

On my last work trip I got to watching youtube vids and came across a bunch of stuff on the single plane swing including some interviews with Bryson and others who use it. After watching all that I got the itch to give it a try. Today I got to the range and set up like an old man with everything in one line at address, my right hand way under the club in a crazy strong grip, and started hitting balls with that "down the line" swing where the clubhead doesn't really turn over. Took a little getting used to, but after a while I'll be damned if the ball doesn't go dead straight just about every time.

The thing that really surprised me though was the power. I've always hit the ball pretty hard and I thought that losing a lot of the "lag" and not turning the club over at impact would make the ball just flutter out there, but in fact it compresses just as much and I didn't lose any distance.

I only hit short and mid-irons today. Not sure if I want to try and bring this swing out on the course just yet. One thing I noticed is that due to the different motion I got a sore muscle in my right side so I quit swinging much earlier than I usually do. Normally I can hit a couple hundred balls without breaking a sweat. Also, after I stopped hitting full swing shots I did go to the short game area and tried to use the single plane swing. It took some getting used to, but after fooling with it for a couple dozen shots, I was impressed at how much easier it was to get consistent contact and distance control.

So before I try to keep doing this I was wondering if any of you golfers have ever tried this? Did it work for you? What issues did you have?

BTW, for those that don't know, Bryson's irons are all the exact same length and weight. The only thing different from club to club is the loft. Not ready to go to that level yet but a few manufacturers are making sets like this now.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I wonder what a simulator would show about the two different methods, one might be easier to do consistently.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
How'd you do that with different length clubs? And Alex I like you and all that. But you really deserve a facepalm.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How'd you do that with different length clubs? And Alex I like you and all that. But you really deserve a facepalm.

The single plane swing and single length clubs are two different things. Bryson just combines the two ideas. Basically in the single plane swing you hold your hands a lot higher at address to mimic the plane you’re at during impact, and you keep the club face pointed down the target line as much as possible throughout. It’s sort of like hitting a gigantic putt.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The single plane swing and single length clubs are two different things. Bryson just combines the two ideas. Basically in the single plane swing you hold your hands a lot higher at address to mimic the plane you’re at during impact, and you keep the club face pointed down the target line as much as possible throughout. It’s sort of like hitting a gigantic putt.

Well yeah but I damned near broke my hip trying Moe's stuff. Of course at my age I could break my hip walking. I have so many years of pounding balls that muscle memory makes it damned near impossible to change anything. It took me six months every day and a million balls to change from Jack Nicklaus upright to something mortal humans can do.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I could beat you with one brain tied behind my back.

Uhhhh, that’s not your brain.

I mean, you DO think with it sometimes, but it’s definitely not a brain.

And technically it’s called “tucking”, not tying it behind your back.

Alex.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I play 5 to 10 times per year and I have the same swing I developed at the age of 14 ( think Johnny Miller :lol: ) I'm now 57 and there's zero chance I would give this a try.
Big DeChambeau fan though.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well yeah but I damned near broke my hip trying Moe's stuff. Of course at my age I could break my hip walking. I have so many years of pounding balls that muscle memory makes it damned near impossible to change anything. It took me six months every day and a million balls to change from Jack Nicklaus upright to something mortal humans can do.
Man I swear I got a broken rib or something after hitting shots like that today! I don't think its inherently bad if you work up to it but I'm so used to hitting a bunch of shots the old way I used completely different muscles today and wrecked myself. I hope I'm just sore and didn't actually injure something but my right ribcage feels like I got hit by a truck. Thanks Bryson!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator