Smart TV reading app?

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, Hobby and Computer Tech' started by jdh5484, Mar 11, 2021.

1. jdh5484

jdh5484 Just Beat UGa
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,466
    Ratings:
    +7,078 / -136
    I've googled this issue and I'm coming up empty. Maybe I'm not using the right search words.

Problem: A family member's eyesight is failing. A few years ago he read 3 print newspapers each day. Now he can only read the headlines. Unfortunately, he's computer illiterate (in his 90s) and can't use a mouse or keyboard ... otherwise, I would hook up a computer to his 60" smart TV and use it as a display. Then I could get the digital editions of the newspapers. I also got him a smart tv so he could use voice commands to search for shows but he really can't do that either. He screws up his request ... tries to be conversational.

Question: Is anyone here aware of any reading app for a smart tv or a way to get digital newspapers to the tv so they can be read while browsing? (similar to browsing digital editions on the computer but instead of a mouse, using a remote to navigate.

Sounds simple but the only thing I've been able to find is a TV app for the Washington Post that is really a beta version.

Suggestions? Ideas?

2. Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $13,026
    Ratings:
    +21,107 / -154
    Use phone or tablet and cast/screen share to the smart tv. You can do books, newspapers... from app on the device cast to the tv. That's all I got

• jdh5484

jdh5484 Just Beat UGa
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $4,466
      Ratings:
      +7,078 / -136
      Thanks for the response. He can't navigate a smart phone... or tablet ... or Alexa. He can do a remote (the same one he's had for years).
      It may just come down to a caretaker turning pages for him on a cell projected to the TV.

With the printed newspaper going the way if the dinosaur, and the crappy quality of network/cable news, and the aging boomer demographic, I think a digital version of the newspaper (without all the pop up ads you see on a computer) that can be navigated using the TV remote may keep that industry alive.

Not helping now though.

• Detroitgator

Detroitgator Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $13,026
      Ratings:
      +21,107 / -154
      Yup, only one I've seen do it right is my favorite Pakistani newspaper "Dawn." It's online,, but they do it ePaper so it's more like a pdf or kindle, but on the web.
      Dawn-ePaper | Mar 12, 2021 | Page Front Page

• CDGator

CDGator Well-Known Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $4,866
        Ratings:
        +7,352 / -94
        I’m sorry JDH, our family has been there and it’s so frustrating. Whoever can design these items for the elderly will make a fortune. It’s getting better but not there yet.

• grengadgy

grengadgy Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $347
          Ratings:
          +2,398 / -155
          The key thing here is "SMART TV" aren't that smart. Like Detroitgator says a smart phone is getting very close to what you want but at 90 years old he will have to have help in projecting it to a big screen tv.

Alexa will play Podcast on Fox News, CNN etc for hours on end.

• CDGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $4,866
            Ratings:
            +7,352 / -94
            We used Alexa for @Seedy’s mom and renamed it “computer” then put up a sign that said “computer call...” for her to remember what to say. It worked for a time and she could be left alone. Eventually her voice was too feeble for it to hear her. Alexa has a lot of great features but may not be right.

I was thinking an Apple TV with the iPad that pushes it to the tv but that would still require assistance.

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $347
              Ratings:
              +2,398 / -155
              :lmao2: I renamed all my Alexas to "Computer" and that works until my brother-in-law calls for computer help and then it always ends up in a 3-way conversation.

#8 grengadgy, Mar 13, 2021
              Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
              • CDGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $4,866
                Ratings:
                +7,352 / -94
                We were given an Alexa as a gift and it was novel for a while but disconnected it. Have you ever logged into your Amazon account and delved into the history and what it has searched for?

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $347
                  Ratings:
                  +2,398 / -155
                  Sure.....Have you ever seen a record of your browser search history and wondered what the hell was I looking for that day?

As far as Alexa remembering.......Just say Alexa, Delete everything that I have said today , I wish Google was that easy.

#10 grengadgy, Mar 13, 2021
                  Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
                  • CDGator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $4,866
                    Ratings:
                    +7,352 / -94
                    Yes but the difference is that Alexa picks up conversations and random words as opposed to an intentional search. :lol:

• grengadgy

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $347
                    Ratings:
                    +2,398 / -155
                    Alexa: If I say any bad things today, I want you to erase them......

Yes Master.......