Snap Count vs. Ole Miss

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
The lure of the switch-up dual threat QB. I love much of what I've seen from Emory, and I think we're in good hands when it's his turn. But if he were in the middle of a record game, and it was tied, I'd be just as upset about seeing him trot off to be replaced by Trask for a play or two. Probably was the turning point in the Lsu game last year.

Outside of Tebow spelling Leak in 2006, I don't think I've ever seen it work. Sean Payton likely cost his team with it on Sunday as well. But they seemingly can't resist.
It’s infuriating.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting that we felt the need to play the starting OL on 100% of the plays, but pulled our starting QB for 11% of the plays in a contested game while he was in the middle of a record setting performance.

I think it’s more about keeping Emory engaged and game ready if anything happens. It’s not like they’re worried about burning his redshirt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it’s more about keeping Emory engaged and game ready if anything happens. It’s not like they’re worried about burning his redshirt.

he is one nasty hit away from seeing real playingtime.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

he is one nasty hit away from seeing real playingtime.

But that’s not unique to UF. All teams are, and have always been, a play away from relying on a second string QB. And I agree with the idea of getting him engaged at times and having him go through reps. It just seems as if Mullen tends to pick the wrong time time to do so. Tied and in a suddenly tense setting isn’t the time to roll the backup out, imo.

If we want to get him substantial reps against a team like OM, we should put them away by the third and give him a whole quarter to himself, as it’s always been done. If we can’t do that with Grantham then we should get a new DC, not alter how games are traditionally played.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But that’s not unique to UF. All teams are, and have always been, a play away from relying on a second string QB. And I agree with the idea of getting him engaged at times and having him go through reps. It just seems as if Mullen tends to pick the wrong time time to do so. Tied and in a suddenly tense setting isn’t the time to roll the backup out, imo.

If we want to get him substantial reps against a team like OM, we should put them away by the third and give him a whole quarter to himself, as it’s always been done. If we can’t do that with Grantham then we should get a new DC, not alter how games are traditionally played.

I agree on the Grantham piece. Problem is that Ole Miss should have been getting thumped. Ole Miss and South Carolina May be our 2 best opportunities to get PT for Emory this year. There aren’t going to be many chances with this only SEC schedule.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think more snaps for Pierce and Davis and less for Wright. Wright had one nice reception with shifty moves but otherwise goes down too easy on contact. I wouldn’t mind seeing Clement and Lingard get those snaps either.

EJ got 8 snaps. I have no issue with the count or the timing. Need to keep him engaged....and ready. Most coaches only use mop up time. I like a few meaningful snaps.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Outside of Tebow spelling Leak in 2006, I don't think I've ever seen it work. Sean Payton likely cost his team with it on Sunday as well. But they seemingly can't resist.
The OG multiple qb system was Johnson and Brindise.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think more snaps for Pierce and Davis and less for Wright. Wright had one nice reception with shifty moves but otherwise goes down too easy on contact. I wouldn’t mind seeing Clement and Lingard get those snaps either.

EJ got 8 snaps. I have no issue with the count or the timing. Need to keep him engaged....and ready. Most coaches only use mop up time. I like a few meaningful snaps.

Wright has supposedly been electric in practice.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was pleasantly surprised that Dean played well. I thought Chatfield looked pretty good too.
Burney was less than impressive. I would like to see Diabate get more of his snaps.
I'm kind of surprised that Reese played as much as he did, that means I at least didn't notice him getting burnt.

Going to have to go back and watch it.

Boy, LaCedric Brunson was noticeable when he was on the field. I think he screwed up badly on all four plays. 2 star whisperin, right @Ancient Reptile ? Along with CJ McWilliamson.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting that we felt the need to play the starting OL on 100% of the plays, but pulled our starting QB for 11% of the plays in a contested game while he was in the middle of a record setting performance.
75f6a5aaaf313f.gif

He is growing though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So.... he is going to be a redshirt soph again next year, right?

Guarantano at Tinerc will get year 8.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I dont recall seeing Dexter after his interception. Wonder why

I saw one of his HS coaches this morning. He wondered the same thing. He has spoken to him since the game and he’s not injured or anything.

He’s a major disruptive force. Surely he could have affected the game. In the 11 snaps he had a sack and INT.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think I just read that he threw for almost 300 yards against South Carolina

he looks alright against south carolina... of course in pure muschamp fashion, he gave him every opportunity to do so.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think I just read that he threw for almost 300 yards against South Carolina

I was flipping back and forth and watching with my kids, but what I saw from him looked pretty pedestrian. He seems similar to Franks in that I've seen no growth at all(which is really crazy considering the whole 7 years thing). Their running game with Gray and Chandler looked solid.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I saw one of his HS coaches this morning. He wondered the same thing. He has spoken to him since the game and he’s not injured or anything.

He’s a major disruptive force. Surely he could have affected the game. In the 11 snaps he had a sack and INT.

I'm not sure about Humphries, but Jalen Lee was injured/out for the opener. If those two aren't going to get reps, Dexter needs more than 11, especially w/ all the passing they were doing - we need fresh players to rush the passer. If Campbell comes back, I think we are fine along the DL. If he doesn't return, we need at least 2 of Dexter, Lee, Humphries to get meaningful reps this year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah but they'd be expecting that. Jokes on the Rebels. Spent the rest of the afternoon nervously awaiting his return while carving up our secondary, all for not. Checkers and chess, my friend.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Fathead plays a lot of games with the defensive line. it's probably a relatively complicated play book for those guys.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree on the Grantham piece. Problem is that Ole Miss should have been getting thumped. Ole Miss and South Carolina May be our 2 best opportunities to get PT for Emory this year. There aren’t going to be many chances with this only SEC schedule.

Arkansas, Vandy, and maybe Mizzou could also provide Emory with lots of pt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.