Soccer fans are apparently outraged about something

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I heard it on the radio today. Evidently the European leagues are being reformed and/or some kind of new super league is being formed, and fans are all up in arms about it. I found the discussion hard to follow due to having two fully functional testicles.

Discuss...if you got the ghey.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Big gay soccer fan here, and proud of it.

Super league sounds cool to me because I only watch the bigger games anyway. Honestly don't know much about it so I don't want to get too involved in the discussion, but if you need any advice on nail polish colors, posh sunglasses, most effective lubes, or anything else in the soccer-loving i.e. "gay" department, I'm your man.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I heard it on the radio today. Evidently the European leagues are being reformed and/or some kind of new super league is being formed, and fans are all up in arms about it. I found the discussion hard to follow due to having two fully functional testicles.

Discuss...if you got the ghey.
It’s a pretty big deal. Club soccer is divided into leagues for each Country. England has the premier league, Spain has La Liga, etc.

When the domestic league season is over the top teams from each league that year compete in the champions league. The champions league determines the best club team in all of Europe.

What’s proposed is the top teams from each league (Man U, Barcelona, Chelsea, etc) will form their own Super League. If this happens the domestic leagues are worthless and the Champions League will probably die.

It’s like Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, etc all bail on their conferences. Now the SEC is left with garbage like Vandy, Miss St, and UF.

The financial implications of this are HUGE.

UEFA said any players who join this super league can’t compete in World Cup.

This could ruin global soccer

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a pretty big deal. Club soccer is divided into leagues for each Country. England has the premier league, Spain has La Liga, etc.

When the domestic league season is over the top teams from each league that year compete in the champions league. The champions league determines the best club team in all of Europe.

What’s proposed is the top teams from each league (Man U, Barcelona, Chelsea, etc) will form their own Super League. If this happens the domestic leagues are worthless and the Champions League will probably die.

It’s like Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, etc all bail on their conferences. Now the SEC is left with garbage like Vandy, Miss St, and UF.

You actually knew all this without having to look it up? Are you a communist?

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016

Wow if UEFA said that about the world cup I would imagine it's not gonna get off the ground.

I do think the european soccer leagues are kind of silly in some ways. The bottom half of each of these leagues is filled with teams that don't have any championships and can rarely even compete for one.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Like Towels and Sporks I am a flaming soccer fan as well.

UEFA is pissed because they decided to revamp the Champions League and the top notch teams said no we want more money. The perception is the teams are doing this for greed and are a bunch of elitists. The top flaming German teams already said no to the super League.

The argument for the league is that the top flight teams don't want to play the little sisters of the poor in the Champions League. They are doing this because they claim they need to the cash to survive. They already lined up JP Morgan to loan them 3 billion bucks.

UEFA said they will ban ESL players from the World Cup competitions, European competitions, and international competition, as well as the teams may get thrown out of their domestic league competitions. I find this ridiculous. There already is the Champions League and the 2nd tier UEFA Europa league.

UEFA is just pissed they didn't think of it and want the cash too.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
All I know is JP Morgan is bankrolling it, and there’s controversy that it will likely kill the smaller teams. Hopefully that doesn’t make me too gay.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If watching guys in short shorts run around pretending to be injured from the smallest contact is wrong, then I don’t want to be right.

Maybe we can save time and space by going ahead and merging this with the Savage/Oiled Up Shirtless Guys thread.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

Gotta say, you did a lot better job of breaking it down than the two chuckleheads I heard on local sports talk radio today. Your SEC analogy was on point.

So if I understand correctly, it's like if all the perennial CFP teams made their own league and played each other for the "championship" every year, no longer bothering with the formality of having to earn their way in by beating lesser teams during the regular season?

Question: If this league is going to be made up of the same top teams that make the Champions League every year anyway, then what's the point? Why do they feel like they need a new league?

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I respect all you homos for coming out, and I mean that. Don't be shy! Work it, girls! Throw your shoulders back and sashay down that runway!

1516132355.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gotta say, you did a lot better job of breaking it down than the two chuckleheads I heard on local sports talk radio today. Your SEC analogy was on point.

So if I understand correctly, it's like if all the perennial CFP teams made their own league and played each other for the "championship" every year, no longer bothering with the formality of having to earn their way in by beating lesser teams during the regular season?

Question: If this league is going to be made up of the same top teams that make the Champions League every year anyway, then what's the point? Why do they feel like they need a new league?

I think the whole thing centers around expanding to an 8 team playoff.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015

You’re seeing it correctly, and appreciate the compliment.

The reason is that every game would be huge. A lot of teams in the premier league play in a small fan base: ever heard of Wolverhampton or Burnley?

The super league would only be huge big market teams for huge TV money.

Not only that, but it would be international too so, all of England would pull for Man U when they take on Barcelona.

Also, sometimes a small team will make it out of their domestic league, but very rare. All time great gambling story was when Leicester City won the premier league a few years back. 5,000-1 odds. £100 bet got you half a million quid.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
You’re seeing it correctly, and appreciate the compliment.

The reason is that every game would be huge. A lot of teams in the premier league play in a small fan base: ever heard of Wolverhampton or Burnley?

The super league would only be huge big market teams for huge TV money.

Not only that, but it would be international too so, all of England would pull for Man U when they take on Barcelona.

Also, sometimes a small team will make it out of their domestic league, but very rare. All time great gambling story was when Leicester City won the premier league a few years back. 5,000-1 odds. £100 bet got you half a million quid.
Ahh, okay. Thanks again.

So I guess a lot of the uproar is from fans of the smaller market teams, whose reaction is presumably, "so you're telling us we have no longer have a chance?"

Maybe they'd be a little less pissed if there was a way for other teams to earn their way in to the Super League, to replace a team not performing as well. Isn't that the way it usually works in those leagues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.