oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is a continuation of this thread, which had become bloated:

http://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-s...oops-nfl-coach

Some information is trickling in from several different sources. Not surprisingly, they seem to conflict with each other. :lol:

The first is this, and this is a direct copy and paste:

It looks like the next coach is coming from the Professional Ranks. Foley wants somebody very, very soon.

To me, the only logical choice from the NFL that I can see Foley really being interested in is Dan Quinn, but that's just my own speculation.

Here's the second rumor:

You may be shocked by this, as I was, but, don't be shocked if Petrino is our next coach. He has a pretty powerful supporter or two. I couldn't believe it. How could they even consider him? Stoops is lobbying for the job, too. I don't think that surprises you.

UPDATE:

- A call has been made to Chip Kelly's agent as he is the only candidate out there who may disrupt the Stoops eventuality.

- Barring from a stunner from Kelly, Stoops is the guy. Foley first contacted him after the Mizzou loss to gauge interest. At that time, Stoops and/or his reps made it known the interest was mutual.

- If the money works out (it will) Stoops will named the coach well before the bowl game.

- The really intriguing part is that Spurrier is aware that all of this going down, which explains his reactions after the game Saturday. As you know, Spurrier and Stoops are tight and Stoops surely spoke with Spurrier over the last few weeks.

- Moreover on Spurrier, he is planning to retire after the season and wants to be involved at UF in a mentor role, or certainly a support role for Stoops, Foley, etc. NOT a coaching role. Spurrier loves UF as much as you and me and is ready to see us back on top.

- Also, and this keeps coming up, but there's something cooking with Chizik, certainly not as head coach but an assistant. I've seen his name several times as being mentioned as part of a possible Stoops staff. T Rob and Lawing also likely retained.

- While Treon was a nice story and a lifeline for Muschamp for a few weeks, and while Treon still has a future at UF as a skill player, Stoops is keenly aware already that Will Grier is the future at QB.

NEW UPDATE:

Jimmy Sexton (Bob Stoops agent) and almost every college coach's agent has not been called. Period. So it looks like it is not a college guy at all.

Foley has actually talked to both Kelly and Harbaugh.

Bob Stoops is actually saying that Foley HAS his man. Which leads me to believe that it is a pro guy.

NEW NEW UPDATE - It's source wars! :lol:

Well first of all, your last source indicated that Jimmy Sexton is Bob Stoops' agent and has not been contacted. I believe that Sexton has not been contacted because he is not Stoops' agent. It is Neil Conrich who HAS been contacted. The coach that I told you had been reached out to after the Missouri game was indeed Bob Stoops. It's not a lock as you know nothing in coaching ever is. But it is not a long shot either.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Keeping T Rob would be very important for recruiting. Lawing and Summers should both be retained. If Stoops is the man, I would keep Roper over Chizik, less roil on the offensive side with once again another OC, Chizik would be here for maybe 3 years then bail for HC job.

A pro coach will appeal to the recruits. Hopefully he is named soon, Too many big time recruits out there sitting on the fence still, that we need.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I would love to see Chizik return to his alma mater as a Defensive assistant for a long term position

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to triple down that it's Stoops with Spurrier as administrator in charge of quotes and hangin' around with Stoopsie.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shanahan or Gruden.

FWIW, one of the UF planes flew roundtrip from GNV to Dulles early this morning and back late this afternoon. We know Foley and Bernie weren't on it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n109009 said:
Shanahan or Gruden.

FWIW, one of the UF planes flew roundtrip from GNV to Dulles early this morning and back late this afternoon. We know Foley and Bernie weren't on it.
Who the hell is there?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n109016 said:
Who the hell is there?

I couldn't guess anyone. Shanahan still lives in Denver, I believe.

If Foley is going the NFL route, it can't be someone currently employed since he wants to fill the position soon.

We don't have any four or five stars in suburban DC we are looking at do we?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I could see Spurrier return in some type of Admin role...I could totally see that

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n109021 said:
I couldn't guess anyone. Shanahan still lives in Denver, I believe.
I've got a Gator windbreaker in my closet that came out of Shanahan's garage in Denver around 1998. In was in a pile he was getting ready to throw out. I lived in Denver from 1996 to 2001 and my bosses wife was the Shanahan's housekeeper. She grabbed it because she knew I was a Gator fan. It goes to show he still has Gator gear.

In fact, I'd say that story is proof he's going to be our next coach.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Only coaches within a decent geographic footprint of Dulles would be John Harbaugh, Dana Holgerson, and Randy Edsall at Maryland.

No football recruits in the area on UF's radar either.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n109030 said:
I've got a Gator windbreaker in my closet that came out of Shanahan's garage in Denver around 1998. In was in a pile he was getting ready to throw out. I lived in Denver from 1996 to 2001 and my bosses wife was the Shanahan's housekeeper. She grabbed it because she knew I was a Gator fan. It goes to show he still has Gator gear.

In fact, I'd say that story is proof he's going to be our next coach.

WOW

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n109028 said:
I could see Spurrier return in some type of Admin role...I could totally see that

I couldn't. Steve's not a details guy, he's a big-picture guy. Mismatch if you ask me.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n109033 said:
Only coaches within a decent geographic footprint of Dulles would be John Harbaugh, Dana Holgerson, and Randy Edsall at Maryland.

Marshall's HC?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
GMDGATOR;n109042 said:
Marshall's HC?

Morgantown, WV is a three hour drive, Huntington is about 90 minutes further than that.

Yeah, KC....comic gold. Hell, at least we can discuss stuff now without the Muschamp bile, it is a bit neat to speculate anyway.

Or maybe Foley sent the plane to pick Corrine Brown up to give our guys a pep talk heading into the final two games.....she just won yet another term.....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's between Kelly, Harbaugh, Patterson, and Petrino.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n109032 said:
Watching this speculation is comic gold!

Heck of a lot more interesting than Muschamp football, eh? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member