Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is a continuation of this thread, which had become bloated:

http://gatorchatter.com/forum/main-sports-forum/112874-sources-coaching-rumors-part-iv

Some information is trickling in from several different sources. Not surprisingly, they seem to conflict with each other. :lol:

The first is this, and this is a direct copy and paste:

It looks like the next coach is coming from the Professional Ranks. Foley wants somebody very, very soon.

Here's the second rumor:

You may be shocked by this, as I was, but, don't be shocked if Petrino is our next coach. He has a pretty powerful supporter or two. I couldn't believe it. How could they even consider him? Stoops is lobbying for the job, too. I don't think that surprises you.

UPDATE:

- A call has been made to Chip Kelly's agent as he is the only candidate out there who may disrupt the Stoops eventuality.

- Barring from a stunner from Kelly, Stoops is the guy. Foley first contacted him after the Mizzou loss to gauge interest. At that time, Stoops and/or his reps made it known the interest was mutual.

- If the money works out (it will) Stoops will named the coach well before the bowl game.

- The really intriguing part is that Spurrier is aware that all of this going down, which explains his reactions after the game Saturday. As you know, Spurrier and Stoops are tight and Stoops surely spoke with Spurrier over the last few weeks.

- Moreover on Spurrier, he is planning to retire after the season and wants to be involved at UF in a mentor role, or certainly a support role for Stoops, Foley, etc. NOT a coaching role. Spurrier loves UF as much as you and me and is ready to see us back on top.

- Also, and this keeps coming up, but there's something cooking with Chizik, certainly not as head coach but an assistant. I've seen his name several times as being mentioned as part of a possible Stoops staff. T Rob and Lawing also likely retained.

- While Treon was a nice story and a lifeline for Muschamp for a few weeks, and while Treon still has a future at UF as a skill player, Stoops is keenly aware already that Will Grier is the future at QB.

NEW UPDATE:

Jimmy Sexton (Bob Stoops agent) and almost every college coach's agent has not been called. Period. So it looks like it is not a college guy at all.

Foley has actually talked to both Kelly and Harbaugh.

Bob Stoops is actually saying that Foley HAS his man. Which leads me to believe that it is a pro guy.

Bob Stoops has not and will not be offered. Period. All energy used to follow the Bob Stoops trail is a waste of energy.

NEW NEW UPDATE - It's source wars! :lol:

Well first of all, your last source indicated that Jimmy Sexton is Bob Stoops' agent and has not been contacted. I believe that Sexton has not been contacted because he is not Stoops' agent. It is Neil Conrich who HAS been contacted. The coach that I told you had been reached out to after the Missouri game was indeed Bob Stoops. It's not a lock as you know nothing in coaching ever is. But it is not a long shot either.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just read that stuff again. Talk about being all over the place. I think the Freeze source is likely to be the more credible one.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Wow!! Up to five threads on the coaching rumors! Can we get up to six or even seven before he's named?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thank God for the update synopsis... 3:1 :lol:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
IF Foley had his guy, they would have been talking, and an answer would have come today-tuesday imho. And this is strictly on believing that his guy had his final game this weekend. If not, then Foley's guy is still coaching next week (Stoops, Patterson, Rodriguez, Gundy) or in the NFL (Harbough, who is being shopped by San Fran and is probably fed up with their bs by now). All the guys who just finished coaching until their bowl: Mcelwain, Graham, Freeze, Hudspeth.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Gator98MD;n119781 said:
Our hire may not excite people in the end. This is my concern

Only one man has had mutliple shots at this job: Stoops.

I'm sure Foley is reminding everyone else this is their one time shot at one of the top 3 jobs in the country.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin;n119777 said:
IF Foley had his guy, they would have been talking, and an answer would have come today-tuesday imho. And this is strictly on believing that his guy had his final game this weekend. If not, then Foley's guy is still coaching next week (Stoops, Patterson, Rodriguez, Gundy) or in the NFL (Harbough, who is being shopped by San Fran and is probably fed up with their bs by now). All the guys who just finished coaching until their bowl: Mcelwain, Graham, Freeze, Hudspeth.

Harbaugh is clearly done in San Fran and looking for a change and would certainly be a homerun hire for UF. My worry would be, I could easily see him bolting back to the NFL in a few seasons. I'm really hoping for some stability and longevity with our next coach.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n119785 said:
Harbaugh is clearly done in San Fran and looking for a change and would certainly be a homerun hire for UF. My worry would be, I could easily see him bolting back to the NFL in a few seasons. I'm really hoping for some stability and longevity with our next coach.
Harbaugh still has a year left on his contract. The Jets or Raiders are expected to trade multiple draft picks to the 49ers to get him after the season is over, which would have to include a contract extension. He isn't even a possibility.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The Original DC;n119785 said:
The word on Harbaugh is he burns himself out coaching. He's even more nuts about it than Meyer was. He's so intense and that's what the problem is apparently.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Welp, Auburn just fired their D Coordinator. I'm thinking Muschamp may have his next job before we have our next coach. He looks to have his pick of TAM, Auburn and SC. I'll say this, Malzahn or Sumlin coaching an offense with Muschamp locking down the defense for them is scary.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@BruceFeldmanCFB: With #Auburn canning DC Ellis Johnson, I'd expect Will Muschamp to be the prime candidate for the vacancy.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The fact that the 49er's are actually trying to get rid of a VERY good coach tells you how much of a headache he must be. Good NFL coaches are hard to find and when you get one you keep him.

So, "we don't want him anyway".

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Will going back to Auburn would not surprise me at all. Would not want to go up against Gus' offense and Wills defense

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Slevin;n119808 said:
Will going back to Auburn would not surprise me at all. Would not want to go up against Gus' offense and Wills defense

These teams are getting absolutely dialed-in with their coaching. Saban's defense with Kiffin's offense and now possibly Malzahn's offense with Muschamp's defense. Damn.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you don't think he is just as bullheaded with the defense as he was with the offense? I think he has and probably will be living off of reputation versus results...which is lucky for him.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
Wasn't Ellis Johnson at USCe before as d-coordinator? Any chance Spurrier hires him back instead of making a play for WM?

dubster1

Chip Kelly is a done deal
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
The Original DC;n119809 said:
These teams are getting absolutely dialed-in with their coaching. Saban's defense with Kiffin's offense and now possibly Malzahn's offense with Muschamp's defense. Damn.
Now that would be lethal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member