Sous Vide cooking, What are the Pros and Cons?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to also point out, that even if we were to specifically discuss thin steaks and a 1 hour bath, then the difference in time that it takes to change the bath water temp (your suggestion) is waaaaaay longer than it would take to simply sear steaks to a different doneness (my suggestion).

But, nobody needs to buy thin steaks. That's ludicrous.
If you are in a hurry cooking Sous Vide steaks then drop a few ice cubes in the water bath.

If your cold steaks doesn't cool it fast rnough.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
If you are in a hurry cooking Sous Vide steaks then drop a few ice cubes in the water bath.

If your cold steaks doesn't cool it fast rnough.

Yeah, that would work.

But you do realize that you will then have to wait 2 hours before you pull them, dry them and sear them? Meanwhile, all the guests have gone home.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to also point out, that even if we were to specifically discuss thin steaks and a 1 hour bath, then the difference in time that it takes to change the bath water temp (your suggestion) is waaaaaay longer than it would take to simply sear steaks to a different doneness (my suggestion).

But, nobody needs to buy thin steaks. That's ludicrous.
If you buy thin steaks ... just sit them in the sun. No need for emersion or searing.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You would start your sous vide steaks after your guest arrived?

!st cook your welldone steak 1 hour then throw in your rare/medium and cook your 2 hours and meanwhile your welldone would finish up tenderising . 3 hours total and about the time your guest arrives you are ready to sear on your grill because the profane torch would take to long and your guest would all be gone home.

There are several ways this could be handled but no way is perfect.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

!st cook your welldone steak 1 hour then throw in your rare/medium and cook your 2 hours and meanwhile your welldone would finish up tenderising . 3 hours total and about the time your guest arrives you are ready to sear on your grill because the profane torch would take to long and your guest would all be gone home.

Mine is. Try it.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

No, I wouldn't.

I was referring to your method of doing a group of steaks in a bath to the higher temp and then having to add ice cubes for a second, or third group of steaks to the bath at a lower temp...and THEN having to wait for the required 2 hrs. for the new group of steaks to reach a desired internal temp.

For my method, I simply put all the steaks in the sous vide around lunch time and go to the beach. When the guests come over, I'm out of the shower, two drinks in and able to smooze (sp) and when everybody is ready, and all the fixins are done, then I sear the steaks. Takes anywhere from seconds per side to 1 or 2 minutes per side, depending on how they want their steak.

Easy peezy lemon squezy.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
No , no it's not.. Your rare steak is perfect but you going to ruin somebody's sous vide steak that was perfect before your guessing game with a torch.
Are you kin to Crete? :)

If it's more than medium-well then there is no such thing as "perfect"; sous vide or no sous vide.

Also, there is no guessing if you also use a probe like any good chop house or steak house also uses.
:exactly:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So you have 3 people that wants a rare steak. You put 10 steaks to cook rare and you finish on the grill. 3 rare, 4 medium rare, 1 medium and the last 2 welldone. Easy peezy

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I have THE solution. Med-Well and Well done people get thinner steaks when I buy them. I know who the culprits are. That way...I can sear them all at the same time. All done at pretty much the same time.

I just went through this with blackening steaks... I bought three different thicknesses... 1", 1.5" and 2". Put them on 1 min after each other (thinnest first), kept them all on one side for the 5 min mark, then flipped, and took the thicker one off after 3 mins, then 4 mins, then 5 mins (thinnest).Wrapped each in foil and let rest for 5,4,3 mins resp.

They came out perfect.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually the only perfect sous vide steaks were the rare 3 steaks and that enters more guesswork with each steak's degree of doneness.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
If it's more than medium-well then there is no such thing as "perfect"; sous vide or no sous vide.

Also, there is no guessing if you also use a probe like any good chop house or steak house also uses.
:exactly:
You like probes ...:fear:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But you haven't, you can do a perfect rare :waiting:
Each steak after the rare ones the probably of error increases. How hot the grill affects how fast the medium/ well done steak finishes.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Each steak after the rare ones the probably of error increases. How hot the grill affects how fast the medium/ well done steak finishes.

Gren, I think you may want to actually read what I've posted because your evidently confused on the method/technique I've discussed. And I've sincerely attempted to be clear on the matter.

But, I really don't care how you cook your steaks and was just trying to provide some clarity, and ease, when using the sous vide technique that I've enjoyed. Others have too. I didn't create it, just followed it. If you have a different way then please press on with that method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.