Sous Vide cooking, What are the Pros and Cons?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
interesting.....

Sous Vide Buttery Grits Sous-Vide-Buttery-Grits.jpg

Any Southerner knows that the best grits are cooked low and slow. This technique presents a problem when you’re cooking on a stovetop because, if you’re not stirring constantly, the grits stick to the bottom of the pot and scorch. Cooking grits in the Anova Sous Vide Precision cooker eliminates the problem, yielding soft, creamy grits with almost zero effort.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I have THE solution. Med-Well and Well done people get thinner steaks when I buy them. I know who the culprits are. That way...I can sear them all at the same time. All done at pretty much the same time.

I just went through this with blackening steaks... I bought three different thicknesses... 1", 1.5" and 2". Put them on 1 min after each other (thinnest first), kept them all on one side for the 5 min mark, then flipped, and took the thicker one off after 3 mins, then 4 mins, then 5 mins (thinnest).Wrapped each in foil and let rest for 5,4,3 mins resp.

They came out perfect.

As I tell the kids, "You get what you get and your don't throw a fit!"

:bart:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
interesting.....

Sous Vide Buttery Grits

Any Southerner knows that the best grits are cooked low and slow. This technique presents a problem when you’re cooking on a stovetop because, if you’re not stirring constantly, the grits stick to the bottom of the pot and scorch. Cooking grits in the Anova Sous Vide Precision cooker eliminates the problem, yielding soft, creamy grits with almost zero effort.
What's a grit?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
  • Sous Vide Buttery Grits
Recipe Temp180 F / 82.2 C
Recipe Time03:00
Prep Time00:05
Ingredients for 2

• 2 cups water

• 1/2 cup coarse-ground grits or polenta
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
  • Step 1
    Set the Anova Sous Vide Precision Cooker to 180ºF (82ºC).

• Step 2
    Combine all ingredients in a large zipper lock bag. Seal the bag using the water immersion technique. Place the bag in the water bath and set the timer for 3 hours.
  • Finishing Steps
  • Step 0
    When the timer goes off, remove the bag from the water bath, transfer grits to a bowl, and serve.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
  • Sous Vide Buttery Grits
Recipe Temp180 F / 82.2 C
Recipe Time03:00
Prep Time00:05

I cooked these qrits this morning. I would up the temperature to 195 degrees. At 180 they were too rare and still bleeding.. On a plus side they weren't lumpy .

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I cooked these qrits this morning. I would up the temperature to 195 degrees. At 180 they were too rare and still bleeding.. On a plus side they weren't lumpy .
Add cheese or forget it.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm surprised that you don't douse your grits with milk and sugar. :)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm surprised that you don't douse your grits with milk and sugar. :)
Isn't that what people do to oatmeal?
Course stone ground Cheese grits with crumbled well done bacon in it.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would do the well done 1st, then lower the temp and add the med/rares. That way they all go to sear at the same time. Remember that well done would cook in about an hour at 158 degrees then turn it down to 140 degrees for your medium rare.
This is exactly right and the only way both steaks could really be considered sous vide.
If you are in a hurry cooking Sous Vide steaks then drop a few ice cubes in the water bath.
That could work or you could move the immersion element to another water bath and then move the steak when the temp is right.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gren, I think you may want to actually read what I've posted because your evidently confused on the method/technique I've discussed. And I've sincerely attempted to be clear on the matter.
You've basically presented a method that trades precision for effort. You have one steak sous vide, and the other is started sous vide and finished in the conventional method (and thus gets all of the drawbacks associated with the conventional method, albeit to a lesser degree).

Don't let your feelings get hurt because gren has pointed that out.

Your condescension is inappropriate.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's okay, we went back and forth on this for about 3 pages and if I had 10 - 20 steaks to cook then I would probably do blend of the two different methods. I would hate to see that dreaded gray-bullseye that you see from the grill.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You've basically presented a method that trades precision for effort. You have one steak sous vide, and the other is started sous vide and finished in the conventional method (and thus gets all of the drawbacks associated with the conventional method, albeit to a lesser degree).

Don't let your feelings get hurt because gren has pointed that out.

You have to sear ("effort") ALL of the steaks that come out of the sous vide ("precision"). The " " equals your terms.

The only way to cook multiple steaks, using a sous vide, to different temps is to have multiple circulators/heaters. Gren and I were trying to discuss a way to do it with only one circulator/heater and while each of us have presented options it's up to you how you choose to cook them. I don't give a rip because I do it all the time and it works perfectly for my family & friends. Ask a restaurant how they sous vide and you'll see similar, if not exact, steps as mine.

My feelings are not hurt. I was never condescending to Gren. He admitted that he didn't read my post and I merely brought that back up.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
This is exactly right and the only way both steaks could really be considered sous vide.

That could work or you could move the immersion element to another water bath and then move the steak when the temp is right.

Just know that both methods above would then need 2 hrs to get the steaks internal temp to the desired temp. You would then need to take them out, dry them and then sear them. You're guest's would have left by then.

The method I propose brings all steaks to the bath at the same time, to the grill at the same time and to the table within mere minutes of each other vs hours.

I challenge you to attempt it Gren's way and then my way and tell me how long each of the two methods take to accomplish.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just know that both methods above would then need 2 hrs to get the steaks internal temp to the desired temp. You would then need to take them out, dry them and then sear them. You're guest's would have left by then.

The method I propose brings all steaks to the bath at the same time, to the grill at the same time and to the table within mere minutes of each other vs hours.

I challenge you to attempt it Gren's way and then my way and tell me how long each of the two methods take to accomplish.
There you go again.......:waiting:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.