Speaking of septic tanks

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah I don’t really have any evidence of where it is. But with the large Oaks in the front lawn there aren’t many locations it could be.
In any case if it’s only $200 to pump I prolly should have it done? Or might it cause other problems?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah I don’t really have any evidence of where it is. But with the large Oaks in the front lawn there aren’t many locations it could be.
In any case if it’s only $200 to pump I prolly should have it done? Or might it cause other problems?
Have it pumped since you are completely unsure. You should be able to get the permit for the county with the original installation of the septic and that would show you leach lines. You can also have a Septic Company mark the field with a survey.

Septic pumping here run $495 for 1500 gallon tanks, which are a basic, typical size.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
How much does pumping run?
I think we paid about $350 the last time it was done. Brownies is a very good company if you're in the Orlando area but they may not be the cheapest. We use them because they know our system and they installed the new drain field(leachfield).

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If your drain field is giving out you have to pump more frequently because it won't soak up the effluent as well and the tank(s) will back up faster. If you're having issues in the house, slow flushing toilets and such then it can be a couple of things.
Could just need the sludge pumped out.
Could have tree roots growing into the tank .
Could have a failing drain field.(Worse case scenario)
Does your system have a pump or gravity fed? Effluent(sump) pump could be bad.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
That's the shiity price.
emoji15.png
:rimshot:

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If your drain field is giving out you have to pump more frequently because it won't soak up the effluent as well and the tank(s) will back up faster. If you're having issues in the house, slow flushing toilets and such then it can be a couple of things.
Could just need the sludge pumped out.
Could have tree roots growing into the tank .
Could have a failing drain field.(Worse case scenario)
Does your system have a pump or gravity fed? Effluent(sump) pump could be bad.
Technically the drainfield doesn't soak up the effluent, it spreads the effluent over a large area to drain (hence the name) off and percolate into the soil.
If he doesn't know what a leach line is how do you expect him to know if his system drains via gravity?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Technically the drainfield doesn't soak up the effluent, it spreads the effluent over a large area to drain (hence the name) off and percolate into the soil.
If he doesn't know what a leach line is how do you expect him to know if his system drains via gravity?
He must be a damned recluse that never walks around his property if he's lived there for 6 years and doesn't know sh!t about his septic system(pardon the pun) :lol:

He would know if he had a pump if he's ever looked at his breaker panel plus there would be a plug/alarm switch somewhere on the outside of his house too.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There's not a greener spot in the lawn. I assume there's no pump because there is no evidence of a pump.
Honestly the only proof I have of a septic tank is that my water bill is only $15/mo.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
There's not a greener spot in the lawn. I assume there's no pump because there is no evidence of a pump.
Honestly the only proof I have of a septic tank is that my water bill is only $15/mo.

Even in the winter, my drain field is green. The county will know where it is. Check with them. Or get a steel rod and go out in your yard and stick it in the ground. When you hit concrete below the surface, you found your tank.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
How deep are they. I'm assuming mine may be deeper of that's possible since I don't see a hump or get a greening effect.

I do have some experience with septic. My grandmother lived on a lake and had septic in the back, in the rainy season/when snows melted and the lake rose the back yard was... unpleasant.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
How deep are they. I'm assuming mine may be deeper of that's possible since I don't see a hump or get a greening effect.

I do have some experience with septic. My grandmother lived on a lake and had septic in the back, in the rainy season/when snows melted and the lake rose the back yard was... unpleasant.

Shallow. A foot or less. I don’t have a visible hump on either of my tanks. I’m in north central Florida just west of Gainesville. It’s all sand and easy pushing the rod in.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Your tank has an opening with a lid(think manhole cover but concrete)that the grass has grown over so it most likely won't be more than 6" deep. The tank will be somewhere between the house and the drain field but relatively close together. There may also be a cleanout somewhere between the house and tank that is sometimes covered with a patio stone or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb