Special teams

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Here we go, my first new topic, I hope it's a good one.

Our views about the offense - no need to beat a dead horse
Our views about the defense - they should be fine
Our views about special teams - ???

Let's say we're down by 2 with 3 seconds left - are we confident that our kicker (whoever he is) can make a 40yd FG?
What about punting and the return game?

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We simply didn't block enough (if any I can't remember) kicks last year. Muschamp prior to last year was pretty good at this, and we should bring this back into our arsenal. Our best kicker looks like Velez, not Hardin, from what I have seen in practice threads. Debose returning will help in this area as well.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Abbot and Velez are the two kickers that are pulling away. I never even heard of Abbot until around a week ago. But he may very well be the starter by the end of camp. Obviously, our scholarship kickers really suck.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hardin seems to have lost his confidence, hope he can get it back.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think special teams will be very improved from last year, but probably not outstanding like it was in 2012. As long as the offense improves enough to where our special teams aren't constantly relied upon to win football games, then we'll be OK. I don't think our special teams will lose us many games even though it is possible that a made or missed field goal could determine the outcome of a couple of games this year..

It's reported that the kickers are doing a better job with field goals, but none of our kickers are reliable as Sturgis. I'd say our kickers are average. Other than field goal kicking, the other special teams units should be elite. There are plenty of great athletes, including the school's leading kick returner, to return kicks and punts. And I also think that Christy will be back to 2012 form punting the ball. Kick-offs and punt coverages have always been strong at UF, and I see no reason for that to change.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I guess I am on the bus of anyone but Hardin. To be honest, I'm not sure I trust any of our kickers enough in that situation unless were in the middle of the field, even then I don't know.

I agree with JC Gator, we need to get back to getting guys off the edge and getting pressure on the kicker or punter. Even if they don't block it, having pressure on them can cause bad kicks and etc.

We should be in good hands in the kick returning game as long as Debose stays healthy, as for punt returner, I have no idea who is going to be running those back.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I have no idea on kicker. Hardin was a top recruit, but doesn't seem to have "it". If Valdez or Abbott can put it together then that will definitely help. It sounds like Christy has gotten his confidence back from a punting perspective.

From a punt return perspective.. I am really hoping true freshman Brandon Powell can be a threat here. Maybe it's just the name, but from the one article that said he did some returning I have a feeling he could have a Brandon James type skill. I feel our punt returns have been an issue recently, so having a dangerous punt returner would be great.

From a kickoff return perspective... If Debose is truly healthy that should be a huge help. Alvin Bailey maybe also? It will be interesting to see who is involved in returns.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Abbot and Velez are the two kickers that are pulling away. I never even heard of Abbot until around a week ago. But he may very well be the starter by the end of camp. Obviously, our scholarship kickers really suck.
Abbot was the kick off man at VA Tech. They say he had a boomin leg, but then again, so does Hardin. Is it accurate? We'll see.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
QueenCityGator;n28412 said:
Let's say we're down by 2 with 3 seconds left - are we confident that our kicker (whoever he is) can make a 40yd FG?

Hopefully we get an idea of our kicking situation later on in the season, which will help make that decision. But what if the above scenario plays out in Tuscaloosa? I say go for the kick regardless.

Let's just hope this doesn't happen during the first three games.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Have you seen anything on Hardin? Everything I've seen has been Velez and Abbot. Neck and neck.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hardin was leading going into the open practices but not by much. I do know that several sources and WM have stated that the kicker are having trouble due to snaps and holds. Evidently Crowfoot is our best holder and Farris is doing the long snapping, and Farris is struggling. After sunday WM said that they're experimenting with different combos,so I would expect the competition to go to the end. And on Monday, Hadin missed 1 Abbot missed 1 and Velez was 3-3, I think Hardin was 7/8 and Abbot 5/6. Hardin has actually straightened out his problems with his kicking,for the most part, now it's just confidence. The punting will be fine and with Gunther back in charge of the ST's I would expect cover, etc to be back where it belongs. He is a major upgrade on Choate IMO.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
chferg said:
I guess I am on the bus of anyone but Hardin. To be honest, I'm not sure I trust any of our kickers enough in that situation unless were in the middle of the field, even then I don't know.

I agree with JC Gator, we need to get back to getting guys off the edge and getting pressure on the kicker or punter. Even if they don't block it, having pressure on them can cause bad kicks and etc.

We should be in good hands in the kick returning game as long as Debose stays healthy, as for punt returner, I have no idea who is going to be running those back.
I am on the bus of if you score TDs, instead of relying on 50 yard field goals, it doesn't matter if the kickers aren't good.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle said:
I am confident that if we are down by two with three seconds to play, we will not be punting.
th

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
Hardin was leading going into the open practices but not by much. I do know that several sources and WM have stated that the kicker are having trouble due to snaps and holds. Evidently Crowfoot is our best holder and Farris is doing the long snapping, and Farris is struggling. After sunday WM said that they're experimenting with different combos,so I would expect the competition to go to the end. And on Monday, Hadin missed 1 Abbot missed 1 and Velez was 3-3, I think Hardin was 7/8 and Abbot 5/6. Hardin has actually straightened out his problems with his kicking,for the most part, now it's just confidence. The punting will be fine and with Gunther back in charge of the ST's I would expect cover, etc to be back where it belongs. He is a major upgrade on Choate IMO.
That's a lot of detailed information. Good show sonoma!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
This.

I think people are down on Hardin because we had such high hopes and expectations for him - being the #1 kicker recruited that year. From all I've read and heard, the PK competition is still very much in progress and no one has distinguished themselves.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ray Finkle said:
I am confident that if we are down by two with three seconds to play, we will not be punting.
Seriously dude I just spit Bud Light all over my laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.