Sport talk radio listeners

Dec 10, 2014
I was listening to the absurdity over every sports talk radio host crying that the slant pass in last night's game was the worst play call in the history of the Super Bowl. Give me a break. It wasn't even a bad call. However, that is not the point of this thread. The conversations just got me to thinking about sports talk radio in general.

I was wondering who on the board routinely listens to sports talk in Florida. Where are you located? Who are the main hosts? How do you like them? I live in Jacksonville, and I'd say are three main guys are Dan Hicken in the morning, and Frank Frangie and Rick Ballou in the afternoon. Hicken is awful. I don't know how he has a job. He's relies on gimmicks and tries to be funny but comes awfully short of being funny or entertaining. When he's not trying to be gimmicky, he can be occasionally insightful, but I'd give him an average at best knowledge of sports. He has a dumb looking face too. If he was only on radio that wouldn't be a problem, but he's on local tv. Rick Ballou is probably the best and has the most worldly experience. His stories can be interesting. Even though he's an FSU homer, he realizes the Gators come first in the broadcast. Frank is dumb. He repeats himself constantly and is a name thrower. Always claims to have inside information without ever offering anything before the fact. They are all on 1010XL, which takes little (if any) calls from listeners. There is merit and drawback to that. A more general problem if that all the hosts just sit around agreeing with each other. It's the same show over and over again. Overall I'd rate radio in Jax mid-level. Better than Gainesville sports talk (the worst) and not as good as Tampa/St. Pete.

I've lived all across the State and just wondering if people on the board have an impression in their respective towns. If you're in Gainesville, WPB, or Tampa/St. Pete, I probably have experience listening to your local guys.

Kyng

Founding Member
The Freak
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2014
Founding Member
I listen to Maddog Sports Radio on XM 85. It's very good. Live hosts from 6 am until 2 am. A ton of guests on the show all the time from players, to coaches, to GM's.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Jacksonville

Dan Hicken & Jeff Prosser - my favorite sports show in Jax. More of an entertainment/sports show than a hard hitting sports for sure, but I enjoy it.

Frank Frangie - even tough he's a Gator grad, he's a blowhard. Self-important. Claims to have "sources" but his scoops are always wrong & seem made up. And he never lives up to the fact he was wrong after the fact.

Rick Ballou - He's a Nole, so I can't stand him. Also a Bostonian, so that annoys me too. Claims to have sources, but is very vague & then claims he was right. For instance, last year he claimed "FSU has a trick play ready for the BCS title game." He gave no other hints, but claimed to know what the play was. Then after the game, he thought he was hot **** because he called the fake punt. :rolleyes:

Dec 10, 2014
Dunder;n166298 said:
Jacksonville

Dan Hicken & Jeff Prosser - my favorite sports show in Jax. More of an entertainment/sports show than a hard hitting sports for sure, but I enjoy it.

Frank Frangie - even tough he's a Gator grad, he's a blowhard. Self-important. Claims to have "sources" but his scoops are always wrong & seem made up. And he never lives up to the fact he was wrong after the fact.

Rick Ballou - He's a Nole, so I can't stand him. Also a Bostonian, so that annoys me too. Claims to have sources, but is very vague & then claims he was right. For instance, last year he claimed "FSU has a trick play ready for the BCS title game." He gave no other hints, but claimed to know what the play was. Then after the game, he thought he was hot **** because he called the fake punt. :rolleyes:

I like Prosser. I feel he's in between a rock and a hard place. He has to be the straight man to Hicken, which isn't fun. He's taken less seriously by proximity. I've only been here for a year or so. How does Frangie have a job?

I can see your points on Ballou. He thinks the world of himself, but at least he has real-world experience. I guess I have a soft spot for him because he could really rub in the poor showing of our football team in, and he doesn't. He also was hilariously spiteful to/about tennessee fans when they were in town for the Gator Bowl.

Hotrod

Founding Member
R.I.P.
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Lynch could have been stopped, I wasn't looking for a pass, but NE saw the formation and knew what was coming and played it perfectly, Carroll will regret that call the rest of his life. Seahawks fans will feel like they were kicked in the balls for the next week. :facepalm:

Attachments

• conv_1587.jpg
    conv_1587.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 52

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I moved out of state a year or so ago but lived in Tampa for 13 years. I found local talk radio in Tampa to be absolutely awful. Granted, I primarily listened to 620 WDAE so there may be good shows on the other station.
The morning slot was always bad to include Dan Sillya$$. The afternoon was Big Dog and all he cares about is the Bucs. The Gators were ignored and so I ignored talk radio for the most part

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Hotrod;n166375 said:
I don't think Lynch could have been stopped, I wasn't looking for a pass, but NE saw the formation and knew what was coming and played it perfectly, Carroll will regret that call the rest of his life. Seahawks fans will feel like they were kicked in the balls for the next week. :facepalm:

The squawks were lucky to be there in the first place. Nevermind the lucky deep ball that fell into the gut of the fallen wr... was there a single pass during that final drive that didn't involve a Pats DB stepping in front of the wr? There should've been an INT back at midfield.

I feel bad for Russel Wilson because he's the only prominent player on that team (that I can think of) who handles himself like an adult. The look on sherman's face after the INT was priceless. Looked like he just witnessed his dog getting shot. Also, a little karma for the wr who decided his TD dance during the biggest, most-watched game of the year was to "take a dump" in the Pat's endzone. I think Ox's "insufferable seahawks" description nails it.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1010XL app listener here. Enjoy listening to it in the mornings out here especially while out playing golf. Frangie's a dork, no doubt. Ballou is certainly annoying but I'll give him some credit for having a decent take on most things. Blaylock sounds hot. Feel sorry for Hicken and his wife boning Surfer dude.

o

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Dont get to listen as much as I used to when back home. But always liked Hicken, he is more of an entertainer. Not to mention he can party. Never will forget seeing him after UF's first NC in NoLo the morning after at the airport. PRICELESS!

BTW it was a terrible call, the amount of time, TO's, and LYNCH. You have to give him the ball at least one time. Carroll and staff Muschamped it.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Horrible call, absolutely terrible. Not necessarily passing the ball, but that play was horrible. At least run a play action rollout or something similar. It was designed for a WR who usually plays only ST. They deserved to lose

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I don't listen, but the one play to always run in such situations is the play action roll out option. With a mobile QB is puts immense pressure on the defense and with all the options is the best play. Throwing over the middle in the limited area there is risky. Now if it had worked nobody would be talking about it even though it was not the best play. A little better throw and some better catching would have made it a success. Great defensive effort.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Double Gator Dad;n166538 said:
I moved out of state a year or so ago but lived in Tampa for 13 years. I found local talk radio in Tampa to be absolutely awful. Granted, I primarily listened to 620 WDAE so there may be good shows on the other station.
The morning slot was always bad to include Dan Sillya$$. The afternoon was Big Dog and all he cares about is the Bucs. The Gators were ignored and so I ignored talk radio for the most part

The main problem is that 620 dominates down here, every once in a while a secondary station becomes good. But Dan is now gone after go partially racist one morning, but the Big Dog talks either golf or Bucs and if he doesn't have a logical argument to counter what you say he starts screaming into the mic. He also is a big defender of the Big 10 and scum, who he admits to loving.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hotrod;n166375 said:
Good so they will know the pain and misery us Packers fans felt

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like to get a National perective on Sirius 91 with Taylor Zarzous and Greg McElroy

Dec 10, 2014
TheDouglas78;n167068 said:
The main problem is that 620 dominates down here, every once in a while a secondary station becomes good. But Dan is now gone after go partially racist one morning, but the Big Dog talks either golf or Bucs and if he doesn't have a logical argument to counter what you say he starts screaming into the mic. He also is a big defender of the Big 10 and scum, who he admits to loving.

Really? I feel like when I was down there Duemig was nothing like that. When I was driving back to St. Pete from Gainesville for the Gator's second national championship win in BBALL, Duemig was the only person who was commenting on how every ticky tack foul was called on our bigs and nothing was called on Oden in an attempt to keep OSU in the game. I wasn't complaining about the victory, but that crap really chapped me during that game. I was glad somebody pointed it out, and how if Oden couldn't play a solid game against the Gators (with discernible future NBA talent) then he should never be a number one pick. I do remember him talking a lot of Golf. That was awful. Glad Dan is gone. He and his show were train wrecks.

Dec 10, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n167069 said:
Good so they will know the pain and misery us Packers fans felt

I'm a Packer fan. Having to go through that game after going through the UF/FSU game four weeks earlier was just miserable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.