Spring Garden-It's time for show and tell

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_0564.jpeg IMG_0563.jpeg

Happy Birthday to me! I spent some time in the garden watering, putting down the straw and then watering some more. The green sprouts in the middle are potatoes that I didn’t harvest last year. I planted more that should be ready in September.

San Marzano, Roma, slicing Tomatoes
Squash
Zucchini
Jalapeño
Okra
Cucumber
2 Green beans, blacks beans, creamer 8’s, cowpeas
Red potatoes and Yukon golds

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The garden is coming along nicely but we are really dry so I’m watering a lot.

Pics from around the garden.

This year I’m staking up most of the zucchini and squash. I’ve seen a lot of people do it and it seems to work well. We shall see

IMG_0816.jpeg

Majority of our Yukon and red potatoes were volunteers from last year. They did get shifted over a few rows after seedy tilled and chopped them up. Rows are a bit crooked but we will have a bump crop! They are crowded but I’m watering them a lot.

IMG_0817.jpeg

Lots of beans this year. Black turtle, creamer 8’s, and two types of green beans.

IMG_0818.jpeg

Planted some slicing tomatoes (pictured) Romas, San Marzano, grape and yellow fruit.

IMG_0820.jpeg

One of the 4 blueberry plants are starting to turn. They are big and juicy. I love this early producer. So do the birds. Some have figured out how to get inside the net.

IMG_0828.jpeg IMG_0826.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_2137.jpeg

IMG_2128.jpeg

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2020.jpeg

IMG_1990.jpeg

A few of my amazing sunflowers this year. Unfortunately a quick storm came through last night and broke half of the. A couple were over 10 feet tall but not bullet proof.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The garden has reached that time where I call it “survival of the fittest.” The weeds are getting taller than the plants but there’s still vegetables to harvest. It’s been another good year and always something to learn. Next month we will have apples and I’ll make sauce with them.

IMG_2982.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_2996.jpeg

IMG_2967.jpeg

IMG_2961.jpeg

IMG_1942.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Did you use a telephoto lens or is that just an incredibly fearless Goldfinch?
I don't recall which camera I took that photo with as I was trying out a few at the time. However the iPhone 14 lens is pretty spectacular. It was definitely a zoom lens though. I bought something to take to Alaska that had a 40x zoom.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't recall which camera I took that photo with as I was trying out a few at the time. However the iPhone 14 lens is pretty spectacular. It was definitely a zoom lens though. I bought something to take to Alaska that had a 40x zoom.
Great pics. Love those creamer snaps too!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We used to have 2 apple trees but one was killed when another tree landed on it during a storm. Our neighbor planted several apple trees and has bees so ours has been prolific. We picked and peeled about 40 apples yesterday. Made apple sauce to freeze and canned 10 pints of pie filling for pies this winter. Never tried this before but was pretty easy.

IMG_3241.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg

IMG_3245.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
True baby carrots....not those fakey chopped down big ones!

My wife got the equivalent in potatoes this year.
Did she do the potatoes in the ground or in a container?

We went digging today for Yukons and reds and hit the mother load and had to stop for now. Hopefully we can get the rest before frost sets in. They will also grow back next summer.

IMG_4083.jpeg

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Did she do the potatoes in the ground or in a container?

We went digging today for Yukons and reds and hit the mother load and had to stop for now. Hopefully we can get the rest before frost sets in. They will also grow back next summer.

View attachment 62454
In a container. We don't have any true ground garden. We have boxes for most everything, but they are on the ground, not raised.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
In a container. We don't have any true ground garden. We have boxes for most everything, but they are on the ground, not raised.
I’ve seen a lot of people grow potatoes this way but they are usually smaller. Find a way to make the container as big as possible and let it go for longer than you think is my only suggestion. They say wait a few weeks after the plant dies back but I wait longer than that. They also like a lot of water.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Had to bring in the orchids as they do not like the cooler nights. Have them in the garage now and the Vandas are putting on a show.
20231231_175141.jpg

20231231_174622.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
IMG_5326.jpeg

I think this is supposed to be a Christmas cactus but it blooms from Thanksgiving to Easter. It was in a small pot when I received it after mom passed. It’s a dramatic plant that doesn’t like to be touched. Leave it alone and ignore it and it does best. It goes outside all summer long. I love the color inside during the doldrums of winter.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
View attachment 66854

I think this is supposed to be a Christmas cactus but it blooms from Thanksgiving to Easter. It was in a small pot when I received it after mom passed. It’s a dramatic plant that doesn’t like to be touched. Leave it alone and ignore it and it does best. It goes outside all summer long. I love the color inside during the doldrums of winter.
How often do you water it?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
How often do you water it?
About every 10 days. A friend gave me a small white one in the early summer but it was dead by September. I think I gave it too much attention or the white isn't hardy. I've heard of people gifting a cutting to family members from some that are 100 years old. When an arm breaks off I stick it back in the dirt or a bowl of water and it just grows.

When the summer is over I let it sit in the garage for a month. The dark is what stimulates the blooms for winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator