Spring Garden-It's time for show and tell

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Yes I did!
Also, Oleander caterpillars ate every leaf off of the vine last summer before I could kill them all. It actually looked better last spring.

Pesky little bastards...
1679150319304.png

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Also, Oleander caterpillars ate every leaf off of the vine last summer before I could kill them all. It actually looked better last spring.

Pesky little bastards...
View attachment 55802
Ouch!
I don’t think we have those but something similar. I wrapped my hand around a vine that had one and the spikes went in like fiberglass. It was awful.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Ouch!
I don’t think we have those but something similar. I wrapped my hand around a vine that had one and the spikes went in like fiberglass. It was awful.
I removed everyone by hand with tweezers! Took me a couple of afternoons. Like everything else here in Florida it got lots of sun, rain and a little fertilizer and it's coming back nicely.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Don't know if you noticed, but I added a white plant in there to mix it up this spring.

That looks great. I got a later than usual start on pruning this year(last weekend) and was hoping my backyard would look great today. But no. Still a few weeks out.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
That looks great. I got a later than usual start on pruning this year(last weekend) and was hoping my backyard would look great today. But no. Still a few weeks out.
Shouldn't be too bad, plenty of warm weather to come. I got everything done earlier this year on a whim.
Even my easy to grow knockouts have come back nicely...

20230319_192013.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Two years ago I grew black beans and dried them. They’ve been really good for black beans and rice.

This year I’m going to do cowpeas/creamer/zipper thanks to @cover2 for mentioning them. Hope they are as prolific as the black beans.

400D7672-A6AD-430D-92C5-8947FDF7D538.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Mandevilla...

Just came across this photo on my hard drive of an Alice Du Pont Mandevilla that I found at Lowes on clearance a few years ago. (petunias at the base) Didn't know what it was going to look like when I bought it but it was an expensive plant marked down. I love mandevillas so I gave it a try. I bought plastic chains at lowes so they are light weight and hooked them to the gutters. It hasn't caused any damage but I can understand why someone would be reluctant to try. It somewhat hid the electric and cable boxes from the main portion of the porch .

FRUG2990.JPG

Last edited:

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Just came across this photo on my hard drive of an Alice Du Pont Mandevilla that I found at Lowes on clearance a few years ago. (petunias at the base) Didn't know what it was going to look like when I bought it but it was an expensive plant marked down. I love mandevillas so I gave it a try. I bought plastic chains at lowes so they are light weight and hooked them to the gutters. It hasn't caused any damage but I can understand why someone would be reluctant to try. It somewhat hid the electric and cable boxes from the main portion of the porch .

View attachment 56172

Great looking plant and vase! I didn't spend too much on everything, vase, plant, potting soil, and trellis were just over $50 bucks. The wife loves it as she sees it everyday entering and exiting the garage.

Is that plant still in that location?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Great looking plant and vase! I didn't spend too much on everything, vase, plant, potting soil, and trellis were just over $50 bucks. The wife loves it as she sees it everyday entering and exiting the garage.

Is that plant still in that location?
Thanks! I’m guessing you are in FL so yours can survive in the winter.
We are in KY so everything in the large planters gets filled with annuals so it changes every year by what’s on clearance. I love it when a cold snap comes through in late April and flower go on clearance for 50% off. I always hang ferns though.

C3A7EF8D-F141-4095-8B6E-69E1DA4195F7.jpeg

3E6EF6E3-6649-4BBF-9B3D-99F98E230C7F.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks! I’m guessing you are in FL so yours can survive in the winter.
We are in KY so everything in the large planters gets filled with annuals so it changes every year by what’s on clearance. I love it when a cold snap comes through in late April and flower go on clearance for 50% off. I always hang ferns though.

View attachment 56181

View attachment 56182

I don’t know who that person is sitting on the porch, but you may want to let them know there’s an alligator swimming nearby.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Seedy tilled up the garden for me. Making it slightly smaller than in the past. He found a bunch of potatoes that didn’t get harvested. :lol: I set them aside hoping they will grow eyes and I’ll just plant them again. We are still a month away from planting so he will till a few more times. Asparagus should come up in two weeks or so.

DF4CB9EA-DC06-4926-8CA6-93C1BE08DD00.jpeg

D2060F81-5B3E-4FAB-8208-A166EC918FD0.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Busy time of the year around the farm. Trying to get my pots planted on the porches, garden planted and the blueberry net up before the blueberries ripen. The birds will steal every single one of them if we don’t cover them.

The green stuff in "rows" are potatoes that re-seeded themselves. I have more to plant too. Looks like I'll need to explore dry canning potatoes this year to preserve some. I got the beans in the ground yesterday morning at 6:30am before the rain came in. Green beans, black beans and trying two types of cow peas. I'll do the tomatoes, squash, zucchini and okra later this week.
IMG_0074.jpeg

The netting just arrived from amazon but Seedy built the frame on Saturday.

IMG_0001.jpeg

This beast was left from the wind storm a few months ago. Started a fire on the underside and it's burning like a chimney now. Guess I'll babysit it all week why I do yard work.

IMG_0064.jpeg

Last edited:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Mrs. Altitude decided plants got too expensive last year and has started seeds for peppers and tomatoes this year. The problem, we really don't have a place for all of them. They start in the bedroom picture window and move to the master bath jet tub (we never use it for a tub).

Lots of plants, so now I am working on adding more planter box space.

IMG_20230510_193029288_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230510_193044334_HDR.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Mrs. Altitude decided plants got too expensive last year and has started seeds for peppers and tomatoes this year. The problem, we really don't have a place for all of them. They start in the bedroom picture window and move to the master bath jet tub (we never use it for a tub).

Lots of plants, so now I am working on adding more planter box space.

View attachment 57420

View attachment 57421
Good looking starter plants!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.