• A

• B

• C

• D

• F

Results are only viewable after voting.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I watched Allen a couple of times at STA. Keep in mind that they recruit nationally and have 4* & 5* recruits all over the field so a huge talent advantage over most teams they play plus a very well-honed system. He was ok in that scenario. But his arm didn’t look strong nor was he particularly accurate.

The hope would be he could be an efficient McElroy-type. That’s unlikely anywhere and not the direction Mullen will go. His only hope is to follow Alex Smith’s path. Smith was a pocket passer who adapted to Meyer’s & Mullen’s system, learned to run and was an accurate passer. And he’s tough as nails. Allen needs to put on 50lbs of muscle, become a sharp reader of defenses pre-snap and decision maker post-snap, run and improve his accuracy.

Not impossible but that’s a lot to learn and he’s competing with Jones who has all of that already plus better physical tools and Franks who has much better size, arm and some experience (not saying that makes him ready or capable.)

I wish the kid luck, but that is one tall order. Even Trask, who was like number 9 million in the recruiting rankings doesn't have that many hurdles to overcome.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
This is from a Q&A on Will Miles site:

Does Scarlett retake the starting job? @wes_yount

Jordan Scarlett is a good running back, and based on 247Sports composite rankings, he has the highest rating of any of the running backs on Florida’s roster (117th nationally). But he’s only averaged 5.0 yards per carry in his career, which is good but not spectacular (for reference, Georgia had three players who averaged more than 6.0 yards per rush in 2017).

There were 122 backs (who qualified for the NCAA rushing title) who averaged more than 5.0 yards per carry in 2017. There were 281 backs who qualified, which puts Scarlett’s performance as slightly better than average.

He’s also going to be competing for carries with Malik Davis, Lamical Perine, Adarius Lemons, Dameon Pierce and Iverson Clement. This doesn’t even take into account the carries that will undoubtedly go to Kadarius Toney, Emory Jones and Justin Watkins.

I think people are underestimating two things about Scarlett. First, it is really difficult to take a year off from a sport and remain healthy, let alone play well. But second – and perhaps more relevant – is Scarlett was really bad at pass protection in his first two seasons. If that doesn’t improve – based on the increased discipline I expect to see – Mullen isn’t going to let him play, let alone start.

Couldn't agree more. Classic example of a good but not great player. IMO, he seemed better than he really was because of the absolute lack of anything resembling a "really good back" prior to his coming on board. If he wins the starting job, I hope he does well. I just honestly think that there are better, more dynamic players already on the roster .

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Couldn't agree more. Classic example of a good but not great player. IMO, he seemed better than he really was because of the absolute lack of anything resembling a "really good back" prior to his coming on board. If he wins the starting job, I hope he does well. I just honestly think that there are better, more dynamic players already on the roster .

May he become the next Wayne Williams, a good SEC RB that disappeared when Emmitt broke a 74-yard TD run against Tulsa in his first home game. (He was inexplicably barely used in the opener at scUM.)

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I watched Allen a couple of times at STA. Keep in mind that they recruit nationally and have 4* & 5* recruits all over the field so a huge talent advantage over most teams they play plus a very well-honed system. He was ok in that scenario. But his arm didn’t look strong nor was he particularly accurate.

The hope would be he could be an efficient McElroy-type. That’s unlikely anywhere and not the direction Mullen will go. His only hope is to follow Alex Smith’s path. Smith was a pocket passer who adapted to Meyer’s & Mullen’s system, learned to run and was an accurate passer. And he’s tough as nails. Allen needs to put on 50lbs of muscle, become a sharp reader of defenses pre-snap and decision maker post-snap, run and improve his accuracy.

Not impossible but that’s a lot to learn and he’s competing with Jones who has all of that already plus better physical tools and Franks who has much better size, arm and some experience (not saying that makes him ready or capable.)

Not sure what to think of Allen. I mean just watching that mess Franks showed on the field makes you think he could grow into a better option than him but he really isn't suited to Mullen's offense unless he is a better runner than it appears. Alex Smith was able to take the beating playing QB at Utah but most QBs would get injured taking those crazy hits Smith took there all the time due to his running ability not being the best. I guess it wouldn't shock me if he somehow found himself 2nd string to Jones if Franks can't get his mess together.

Will this old recruit take the starting job? Jones is a true freshman and Franks looked clueless last season. Crazy thought but you never know I guess as Mullen said the job is open for someone to take it.

Last edited:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Not sure what to think of Allen. I mean just watching that mess Franks showed on the field makes you think he could grow into a better option than him but he really isn't suited to Mullen's offense unless he is a better runner than it appears. Alex Smith was able to take the beating playing QB at Utah but most QBs would get injured taking those crazy hits Smith took there all the time due to his running ability not being the best. I guess it wouldn't shock me if he somehow found himself 2nd string to Jones if Franks can't get his mess together.
I'm still a little troubled by Allen's back injury. Seems to me that we need a durable, mobile QB in this system. Some problems simply become chronic, nagging issues. I feel bad for the kid because he seems like a hard charger.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

The only thing I’ll say is I saw a pic of Allen standing with his Dad right before leaving for UF and the kid looked big... like he had definitely been hitting the weights and probably aided by some creatine. So I’d imagine after spending a year on a college campus (even without creatine, the banned substance for NCAA athletes) he’s probably gotten a lot stronger and added even more muscle.

The question isn’t “can” he can put on weight.?. The question is does the kid have “any” wheels to be a serviceable QB in DM’s system.?. I’ve never seen any evidence that he does....it doesn’t mean he doesn’t... But I’ve never seen one thing suggesting he’d be any kind of running threat (ala John Brantley) My impression of him is he’s a straight up pocket passer.... unlike Alex Smith who, while he may not have previously been considered dual threat, DID possess the athleticism to become one when asked to.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'm not expecting much from Allen, but I'm not writing him off. The kid is an athlete and I'm hoping he's more coachable than Franks seems to be. There was a story about him growing up; around the age of 13 or so he went and played in - basically - an all-black pop-warner league (he was the only white kid on the team and was the starting QB). He did that for 3 years. I imagine the kid knows how to run! I'm not sure if the Alex Smith comparison works w/ him....as we've never seen him play (college football). But I wouldn't be surprised to see him beat out Franks and be the #2. Regardless of what happens, I don't expect to see all three of Franks, Allen, and Trask on the 2019 roster (hell, one of them may not be on the 2018 roster).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Jay disagrees. In fact, he still thinks Scarlett is better than Sony Michel... :D

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Trask will likely never play here. That being said, all of donkeys criticism is really unwarranted. The kid may not be an SEC QB but he is a damn good passer and a good gator. I hope he gets a few clean up downs in a couple of cupcake games. I like the kid. He is a better passer than our last few QBs.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The only thing I’ll say is I saw a pic of Allen standing with his Dad right before leaving for UF and the kid looked big... like he had definitely been hitting the weights and probably aided by some creatine. So I’d imagine after spending a year on a college campus (even without creatine, the banned substance for NCAA athletes) he’s probably gotten a lot stronger and added even more muscle.
Keep in mind he's been with one of the worst S/C programs for more than half the time he's been here. Maybe he's been getting stronger and adding muscle since January, but I wouldn't assume it was happening over the fall unless he was getting trained off campus like we've heard rumors about

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Trask will likely never play here. That being said, all of donkeys criticism is really unwarranted. The kid may not be an SEC QB but he is a damn good passer and a good gator. I hope he gets a few clean up downs in a couple of cupcake games. I like the kid. He is a better passer than our last few QBs.

Agree on Trask. He may just end up being a Brian Schottenheimer type, who knows he won't play...but wants to be a coach and get the experience of being involved in an SEC program. Who knows? He should have never been signed in the first place. The UF's of the world don't give scholarships to 2-star QBs.

On the bolded part, here's a HUGE problem this program has had under both Muschamp and Butters: blowing out cupcakes. We just didn't do it!! Lost to Ga Southern, went to the wire w/ Jacksonville State, overtime vs. FAU, lost to Vandy (and had several dog-fights), had tough wins vs. Kentucky, etc.

Cupcake games allow starters to sit....and young players the opportunity to play in a real game in the Swamp. It's one of the many reasons teams like Alabama, FSU, Clemson, and Ohio State have great depth (along w/ great recruiting). But this has been an issue for 8+ years. These teams are at an advantage, when their starter goes down they aren't plugging in a player that's barely stepped on the field. This is something I hope we see w/ Mullen. I don't care about a 24-17 game vs. LSU, those are great football games. I do care if we beat UAB or Jacksonville state 24-17!

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Agree on Trask. He may just end up being a Brian Schottenheimer type, who knows he won't play...but wants to be a coach and get the experience of being involved in an SEC program. Who knows? He should have never been signed in the first place. The UF's of the world don't give scholarships to 2-star QBs.

On the bolded part, here's a HUGE problem this program has had under both Muschamp and Butters: blowing out cupcakes. We just didn't do it!! Lost to Ga Southern, went to the wire w/ Jacksonville State, overtime vs. FAU, lost to Vandy (and had several dog-fights), had tough wins vs. Kentucky, etc.

Cupcake games allow starters to sit....and young players the opportunity to play in a real game in the Swamp. It's one of the many reasons teams like Alabama, FSU, Clemson, and Ohio State have great depth (along w/ great recruiting). But this has been an issue for 8+ years. These teams are at an advantage, when their starter goes down they aren't plugging in a player that's barely stepped on the field. This is something I hope we see w/ Mullen. I don't care about a 24-17 game vs. LSU, those are great football games. I do care if we beat UAB or Jacksonville state 24-17!

Couldn't have said it better myself....so I won't try.

I will say that in the Spring game Trask didn't look like he had left the marching band behind to wander down onto the field.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Well unlike with Mac if he truly is in any contention for the job in the Spring I think Mullen at least gives him a chance to compete in the game.

Mac was so intent on us not seeing how lost Franks was he had Franks going against walk on and 3rd string DBs etc. in his passes while Trask was literally fed to the wolves.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Trask has decent size. In Mullen's offense he could be used in a Tebow 2006 role to get the "tough" yards and still provide a passing threat.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don't care so much about Trask himself getting some late game mopup plays. I'd just like to actually see a game where we have that luxury. Seems like all of our warmup games over the past 5 years have either been cancelled, losses or nail biting wins. My kids barely even know how to do the wave because the whole place is so tense the entire game.

Unfortunately though, while I agree on the personal shots, in some people's eyes, Trask is always going to represent everything that was wrong and bad about the previous staff. He never should've been a scholarship player here. So on the bright side for him, he got extremely lucky and has probably had a lot of fun at UF, not to mention the great education. I doubt any criticism, warranted or not, matters to him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trask has decent size. In Mullen's offense he could be used in a Tebow 2006 role to get the "tough" yards and still provide a passing threat.
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

So the guy who didnt play in HS bc he couldnt run is our next running QB?

You people are hilarious.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The overriding worry is : does Trask, as a foolish "penny stock", keep a useful player out by occupying that player's scholarship ?
But still, we don't know if Trask might be a bruising runner while being an effective passing attack.?? Right up Mullen's alley ?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Along with anyone else with half a brain, I'm not exactly holding my breath on Trask ever becoming an SEC quality QB. But he looked better to me in that first Spring game than FF did - of course that isn't saying much. As a matter of fact, Trask looked better that Franks the last game of last season - again, that isn't saying much. The more I talk, the worse feel about our QB situation. Maybe I'll just shut up for a while.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

So the guy who didnt play in HS bc he couldnt run is our next running QB?

You people are hilarious.

Short yardage... not like he needs to do anything fancy... just go forward. Plus he is more expendable for getting hurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.