Spurrier admits Machen wanted Creyer

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier: Well, after the Washington thing folded up after two years, the Florida job was open, but the thing about it, we had a president who came from Utah, Mr. [Bernie] Machen, and obviously Urban was at Utah and they went 12-0. So, it was logical for him to come here. The president wanted him, so I can understand it. So, that's what happened.

One-on-One with Steve Spurrier

"GOAT" Fooley is down to one good hire.

Question and answer period is over.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So you're telling me the guy who knew and had worked with Meyer, and saw him take Utah to an undefeated season, wanted to hire him? This is exactly the type of riveting information that keeps me logged on.

You may have outdone your Dak Prescott thread from Sunday.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
So you're telling me the guy who knew and had worked with Meyer, and saw him take Utah to an undefeated season, wanted to hire him? This is exactly the type of riveting information that keeps me logged on.

You may have outdone your Dak Prescott thread from Sunday.

Did you read the article? Its basically saying that because Machen wanted Meyer it gave him (SOS) the opportunity to go somewhere else (USC). Then further down he says "Florida could have hired me, but they chose Urban Meyer (laughing) back in [20]05".

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Did you read the article? Its basically saying that because Machen wanted Meyer it gave him (SOS) the opportunity to go somewhere else (USC). Then further down he says "Florida could have hired me, but they chose Urban Meyer (laughing) back in [20]05".

And as controversial as this may seem, it was probably the right move for all parties. Spurrier himself has said that 12 years at a place is probably long enough. Why chance that you soil the incredible run you had and leave on a less than positive note. Rarely can you "go home again". He got the chance to do something he wanted to do at Usce, and we got two titles out of it. I think that's a win-win. But I still don't see how any of this is groundbreaking, thread-starting worthy in 2021.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
And as controversial as this may seem, it was probably the right move for all parties. Spurrier himself has said that 12 years at a place is probably long enough. Why chance that you soil the incredible run you had and leave on a less than positive note. Rarely can you "go home again". He got the chance to do something he wanted to do at Usce, and we got two titles out of it. I think that's a win-win. But I still don't see how any of this is groundbreaking, thread-starting worthy in 2021.

Because there are people who actually think Foley was the guy behind the Meyer hire. He was just a proxy.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Weve had two different kind of numbnuts opinions floating around, first is that it was the Mighty Fooley, GOAT of all GOATs, who made the hire and Mauchen had nothing to do with it.

The second was that SOS.didnt want to.come back bc racism or something utterly stupid that never nade the slightests sense (KC and a few others).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Yeah, I dont know, maybe maybe not. Its a hard thing to think about because its very subjective. Meyer won two nattys during that time but he also has the blood of our program on his hands too. While I dont think SOS wins those two nattys, I do think he might have a got one and Im very sure we wouldn't have had the dumpster fire program we had starting in 2011 through 2018 and then just average till now.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Munchkin set our once revered University on the path to the shiit show we have today in regards to no alcohol on campus, no respect for legacy admissions, questionable desire to win at football and basketball and a bunch of nerd students that don’t really care…,fuchs him and Urban Cryer!

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
Morning again, in Gatorchatter...

giphy.gif

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Joe Manchin? I thought that was what the thread was about seeing the title!

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
An infamous quote uttered at a Senate oversight hearing by a female former presidential candidate comes to mind...but I don't want to get political. :whistle:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
So Supperior says Machen wanted Leyer. Okay breaking news, we all knew that. but for the nutswingers still sucking Fooley's kokk and holding onto the notion that Fooley hired Leyer, does this not say what I said at that time. Fooley was errand boy and told to get on plane and not to come back until Leyer signs.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So Supperior says Machen wanted Leyer. Okay breaking news, we all knew that. but for the nutswingers still sucking Fooley's kokk and holding onto the notion that Fooley hired Leyer, does this not say what I said at that time. Fooley was errand boy and told to get on plane and not to come back until Leyer signs.

Sent by grocery clerks to collect a bill.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Because there are people who actually think Foley was the guy behind the Meyer hire. He was just a proxy.

Who are these people? Do yourself a favor and cut them out of your life, permanently.

Foley hired Zook, Muschamp and McElwain, inherited Spurrier and was basically gifted Meyer. It's amazing what a little timing and presentation can do for perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.