Spurrier admits Machen wanted Creyer

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Not to sort of address the current topic of conversation, but speaking of Saban, I heard on the radio yesterday how he is still making excuses for bailing on my Dolphins. Now he is blaming the whole thing on the Dolphins' team doctors.

He said the whole deal as he understood it was that Drew Brees was going to be his quarterback in Miami. He personally spoke with the surgeon who operated on Drew's shoulder, who assured him it was going to be 100%, so Saban was banking his own future with the Dolphins on that.

Then, when the Dolphins doctors had a different opinion and Brees failed their examination, Saban says that pulled the rug out from under him. He literally said something to the effect of, "well if I don't have a quarterback, I'm out of here."

Makes perfect sense. If you can't have the exact QB you want, you should just quit. Everybody knows there's only one QB who can win games in the NFL.
It's easy to say that now that Brees is a known first-ballot HOF'er. Had the Chargers known that, they never would have let him go as a free agent in the first place. NO ONE thought Brees would do what he did, including the Saints. He was a pipsqueak with a noodle arm.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It's easy to say that now that Brees is a known first-ballot HOF'er. Had the Chargers known that, they never would have let him go as a free agent in the first place. NO ONE thought Brees would do what he did, including the Saints. He was a pipsqueak with a noodle arm.

Well, it appears by the crafty investigative work done by GGG, Saban knew.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Yeah, of course hindsight is 20/20, but Drew Brees is a sore spot for Dolphans. We whiffed twice on the guy who could've been the heir to Marino in terms of long-term stability at the QB position. Could've drafted him instead of CB Jamar Fletcher ("Who!?!" Exactly) and could've signed him as a FA instead of Daunte Fuchsing Culpepper. I can just picture the "Miami Brees" t-shirts, with the palm trees blowing in the wind. :(

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

There were all kinds of questions about him at that point that even he didn’t know the answer to.

tenor.gif

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That'll be me for a few hours only, starting at 3:30 PM on Sept. 4th. Would love to see Bam's million-dollar-man embarrassed in his first day "on the job." Turnover Chain! Turnover Chain! :D

Just when we’re making headway, you blow it. Possibly your worst post ever. And that’s like immediately saying which Phil Collins song is the most 80s-pop.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Steve tried to proved that the adage "You Can't Go Home Again" didn't include him, but the blue-nosed
Machen had other ideas. The story that made the rounds back in those days was that Spurrier
sought out Machen at some sort of a gathering and after expressing his desire to return to his
old stomping grounds, was told to "submit his application". Steve retorted "my application is all those
SEC Trophy's sitting in your office". Steve's success against his old school during his stint
at USCe certainly rubbed Gator Nation the wrong way and was in full evidence when the ceremony in
The Swamp following the unveiling of the statues for UF's three Heisman Trophy winners. In contrast
to the thunderous welcome given to Danny and Tim, Steve was given (at best) polite muted applause.
Oh, and Steve didn't appear in person. He sent his daughter in his stead, and a message
from the Old Ball Coach was played on the big board.

00C0C_3dYYRfYzgFsz_09D09D_600x450.jpg

"So, how do you like me now?"

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
5-5 vs Fooley's hires. And one fingernail cockblock from being .500 vs Creyer. At South Cakalaka.

:what:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.