Spurrier's Orlando Apollos roll the Atlanta Legends 40-6

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I did not watch nor had any interest to be honest. So I was reading some of the thread and although it is not "He Hate Me" XFL gimmicky, it clearly has its gimmicks. such as you can't rush more than 5 guys?? So in essence that is not blitzing as 5 O-Linemen can block 5 rushers? and you can't overload players on defense to create a rushing advantage?? is that true? sounds like gimmicks to me!!!
Since you aren't watching and never will, why do you care?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What the hell are you talking about? I’m stuck watching the west coast game. Bercovici was lit up blitz after blitz.
It is a rule that you can't rush more than 5. So you can blitz but you can't bring the house

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This was cool, though I can't imagine a good defense allowing that much time for it to play out.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You guys need to read more. Blitzes are limited to only 5 people and they have to be lined up close to the OL.

Things like corner or safety blitzes are NOT allowed.
Defenses run a 3-4 or a 4-3. Anytime you run more than that at the QB it’s a blitz. The announcers were stating all night that the defense was blitzing here and blitzing there. Sure, they limit it to 5 players so you can’t bring the house, that doesn’t mean they aren’t blitzing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Defenses run a 3-4 or a 4-3. Anytime you run more than that at the QB it’s a blitz. The announcers were stating all night that the defense was blitzing here and blitzing there. Sure, they limit it to 5 players so you can’t bring the house, that doesn’t mean they aren’t blitzing.
Yeah, but it DOES mean that you touch yourself at night.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
And yet somehow the line was much different.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is a rule that you can't rush more than 5. So you can blitz but you can't bring the house
NFL doesnt do that anyway. Those QBs would chew that up once they see a LB or safety trying to cover a receiver.

What the NFL often does is overload a side and disguise a zone blitz well so that the OL thinks a DE is coming when he will actually drop into coverage late, but they very rarely send more than one extra blitzer in NFL without dropping a DL into coverage.

I think this is primarily meant to allow the teams not to need a huge amount of practice. I think they only practiced a few weeks. NFL does 50 weeks or so. It costs $$$.

HS and college all star games do the same for the same reason. Regardless the defenses tend to have advantages when the offense hasn't practiced much.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Went to the game. It's a pretty good game experience for the fan with very few TV timeouts to sit through. All football should run the clock the way they do. Lack of kickoffs and point afters were another fan favorite. Two challenges and they went pretty fast. We in the stands had no idea what the defensive formation calls were about which were called at least twice. Stadium was maybe half full but weather might have kept some away. - a well attended O&B game. Lots of fans in Gator gear. At one point fans on the east stands tried to get the Orange and Blue chant going.

. Spurrier can barely walk. He shuffles from side to side. Typical Spurrier play calling, opened with a long sideline pass, went for the endzone after a turnover etc.. Appelby came in for the last series and I told my friend this wouldn't go well. After getting a first and goal we went backwards 4 plays in a row just like Mac taught him. Other than Appleby the play wasn't bad. i.e they didn't look like rejects out there.

One other thing, despite getting 100's of emails from the Apollos I didn't notice the logo which has a figure shooting an arrow. Fans would get up after each first down and do the arrow thing. I thought they were doing it as an homage to Spurrier- don't know if he had any say in the logo.

Gator-Don

The Master of Sparks and Fire
Lifetime Member
Jun 1, 2016
I think the league could work but they're gonna need some more star power. They need to get tebow and Johnny Manziel. Heck, bring in Michael Sam. Grab some headlines.
Get rid of the no blitz rule , the no kickoff rule and get rid of the inside look at the replay booth. They're trying to be too gimmicky with that crap.

The XFL doesn't want to be a minor-league NFL, they want to go head to head with them. I'm quite sure the XFL will win out.

I agree. They are going all out trying to make sure they aren't dreaming of becoming the next AFL. It all seems well thought out. Development league with somewhat more restrictive rules to reduce injuries etc.

I do think that the ESPN site and the Fox Sports sites should at least mention what is happening this weekend. All I found was crickets chirping and a zillion soccer scores from places I've never heard of.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Espn in particular never covers anything on CBS, even the big SEC game.

It is just who they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.