Stadium Upgrades & Golf Course (Stricklin Interview)

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
There was an interview in the paper today with Stricklin, two things stood out:
  • The reason why any upgrade to the stadium would result in a reduced number of seats is because BHG is grandfathered for ADA compliance. In order to make the upgrades they want to make, the stadium loses the grandfathering and has to be fully compliant and seats would go from 16.9" wide to 19" for ADA... that's 8,000 seats gone right there. Also have to widen aisles. I remember everyone complaining about the seat # reduction, but I hadn't heard anyone say it was due to ADA compliance.
  • I said about 2 years ago that there was no way the golf course survives on campus. The real estate is just too valuable to not develop. The interviewer asked Stricklin about land recently deeded to UF west of Gainesville and its possible use for a new golf course. Stricklin dodged on that one.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
  • I said about 2 years ago that there was no way the golf course survives on campus. The real estate is just too valuable to not develop. The interviewer asked Stricklin about land recently deeded to UF west of Gainesville and its possible use for a new golf course. Stricklin dodged on that one.
When Junior first decided to go to UF in 2019 is when I actually started paying close attention to the campus. I remember asking Mrs G how long she thought the golf course would last given it’s location and size and given that it looked to me UF was running out of space. As she hates any changes to her beloved alma mater (though she’ll sometimes concede necessity after the fact), she gave me a bunch of reasons why it would never happen. Not being a total idiot, I didn’t argue.

One football weekend last fall we were hanging out with a sorority sister of hers from Gainesville who is now a big booster and pretty well wired. Mrs G asked her about the golf course. The friend laughed and said it’s gone and probably sooner rather than later. I pretended not to hear the conversation…….

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
  • The reason why any upgrade to the stadium would result in a reduced number of seats is because BHG is grandfathered for ADA compliance. In order to make the upgrades they want to make, the stadium loses the grandfathering and has to be fully compliant and seats would go from 16.9" wide to 19" for ADA... that's 8,000 seats gone right there. Also have to widen aisles. I remember everyone complaining about the seat # reduction, but I hadn't heard anyone say it was due to ADA compliance.
I think the stadium up grade would be a nice trade off for any seat reduction.
My seats are in South Endzone Chairbacks which we love but did sit in Alumni section a few years back and I’m pretty sure the guy sitting by me ass was bigger that 16 inches. If I had to sit that packed in all the time I would probably drop tickets.
Besides very rare now that Fl has a packed stadium, I vote for full chairbacks.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In the Marine Corps, they gave us terrible quarters and living conditions, terrible food, outdated equipment and put our bases in the most hellish places on the planet like 29 Palms, Yuma AZ and Cherry Pt, NC. I think that the idea there was to make Marines so goddam pissed off all the time that when we had to fight somebody, we took out all our anger on the enemy.

I think noon games and Florida Field are pretty much the same thing.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We could probably squeeze in a few more fans if we simply built a cage dome over the top of the stadium and let people watch from above as well as from the sides like in a traditional stadium. Here is an artists rendering of what I'm talking about.
iu

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

My understanding is that the new golf course may be built as part of the new development west of Haile Plantation and will include all the latest amenities including housing for the various golf teams competing with UF but my information is a couple of years old so it may not be true anymore.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My understanding is that the new golf course may be built as part of the new development west of Haile Plantation and will include all the latest amenities including housing for the various golf teams competing with UF but my information is a couple of years old so it may not be true anymore.

Source?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Confuse us says: The secret to being a bore is to have no secrets.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My source is not official as much as a proposal that was developed a few years ago for the large parcel of land near Parker Road and Archer Road.
It never went beyond the proposal phase and it went dormant.

Just recently, the residents of Haile have been made aware that discussions have restarted for the development of that area. I don’t know for certain that the golf course is still part of the plan but it was definitely in the previous proposal that was at some stage of progress.

Supposedly we should get more insight sometime this year.

I did not intend to come across as “Mr. Insider” on this, I just thought I would share what I have been told. Take it for what it is worth.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My source is not official as much as a proposal that was developed a few years ago for the large parcel of land near Parker Road and Archer Road.

Just recently, the residents of Haile have been made aware that discussions have restarted for the development of that area. I don’t know for certain that the golf course is still part of the plan but it was definitely in the previous proposal that was at some stage of progress.

I did not intend to come across as “Mr. Insider” on this, I just thought I would share what I have been told. Take it for what it is worth.
Bullschit. You wanted to be Mr. I've got a guy. Admit it. You just want to be the guy who says, "I told you so."

I'm just hacking you DGD.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Something else to consider when evaluating what I shared.
This proposed development and potential UF golf course would be located just south of Oakmont.
A certain former UF football coach that is an avid golfer lives in Oakmont.
You don’t think he may have known about this when he built his house do you??????

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Something else to consider when evaluating what I shared.
This proposed development and potential UF golf course would be located just south of Oakmont.
A certain former UF football coach that is an avid golfer lives in Oakmont.
You don’t think he may have known about this when he built his house do you??????

It’s definitely possible. They should hurry. It seems every week there’s a new development breaking ground in that whole Parker/Archer and down to 91st and 24th. I’ve not personally heard of what you’re suggesting, but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Not sure why Oakmont didn’t include a golf course all along.

Also, I don’t want you to be alarmed, but you’re talking to yourself again.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s definitely possible. They should hurry. It seems every week there’s a new development breaking ground in that whole Parker/Archer and down to 91st and 24th. I’ve not personally heard of what you’re suggesting, but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening. Not sure why Oakmont didn’t include a golf course all along.

Also, I don’t want you to be alarmed, but you’re talking to yourself again.

I find it easy to reach agreement when I talk to myself.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
The seat loss would in part be to ADA, but from emails my mom and aunt got a few years ago, it seems like west side would be upgraded to some sort of chair backs as well.

RiverRat, I definitely like our secondary south endzone seats with chair backs compared to the west sideline due to size as well. Though I have nostalgia towards Section 9 as it’s where my grandfather sat for decades and we are with old friends and the like.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
The seat loss would in part be to ADA, but from emails my mom and aunt got a few years ago, it seems like west side would be upgraded to some sort of chair backs as well.

RiverRat, I definitely like our secondary south endzone seats with chair backs compared to the west sideline due to size as well. Though I have nostalgia towards Section 9 as it’s where my grandfather sat for decades and we are with old friends and the like.
Back in the day the more the merrier, but now I need a little comfort, been in the south Endzone since 84 and the chairbacks are really nice. Befor that was in section 72 row one I think, could talk with the players.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So long story short, we’ve gotten fatter and need wider seats and the UF golf team is moving to Ironwood…got it!

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Moving the golf course is an absolute thing. They were trying to buy Gainesville CC, but the owners didn't want to sell. A few years back some members bought the course so they could have whatever access they wanted. I understand they changed some rules but don't know what they were. A group tried to get them to sell the tennis courts off, but they didn't want to lose control of the property. As the ownership group gets older UF could circle back, but sounds doubtful.

Turkey Creek was also looked at but quickly dismissed, from my understanding. I'm sure Ironwood and Meadowbrook were considered, but I doubt either got serious consideration. Ironwood makes a lot of sense if the city decides to release some assets.

I also heard that converting the golf course wouldn't be easy due to the existing neighborhood, but that it wouldn't be difficult either. Just too much land to not make whatever accommodations necessary.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I'd like all the seats to be "seat backed" I'd consider reducing the student section to bring in more revenue.

It depends on who your target crowd is? What's the objective?

If they can pack it...Expand If not, make it as accommodating as economically possible.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It would be nice to have all the seats "backed" like most stadiums are going to now. There are many upgrades that need to be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator