Stand alone Football Facility

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by Marianna-FL_Gator, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Swamp Queen

Swamp Queen Mrs. Sasquatch
    BANNED

Oxbucks:
    $3,404
    Ratings:
    +8,321 / -70
    I haven't been there in a few months but that's not always an open lot of dirt. I've seen it used for intramurals, random student gatherings and parking for football games. My guess is the Google Maps image was taken after a full football season of cars and various other vehicles parking on it. I just think the whole front of the stadium and green space surrounding it looks great, and a random building plopped down would look silly. I realize you live in Orlando and there is basically no natural space left, but open areas not developed is appealing to many people.

2. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,846
    Ratings:
    +20,753 / -518
    That's fair.
    I just don't see how they make a separate building not attached to the stadium and be in a reasonable location. Who knows what they'll do, if they'll even do it.

3. gardnerwebbgator

gardnerwebbgator Deplorable
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $5,017
    Ratings:
    +9,667 / -407
    Get rid of Stadium Drive between Gale Lemerand and Fletcher Drive? Expand facilties south, but make it work with the College of Engineering on the south side, and make the southeast/east side area more student-friendly perhaps?

4. t-gator

t-gator too sexy for my shirt

Oxbucks:
    $5,119
    Ratings:
    +11,429 / -627
    So what exactly is this that we're building? What is supposed to take place in this building?

5. URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamDubs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $8,846
    Ratings:
    +20,753 / -518
    You don't actually read anything do you? ;)

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $8,644
      Ratings:
      +14,135 / -1,030
      Players lounge damnit...
      [​IMG]

• GatorStud

GatorStud Score Points, Be Happy
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $599
      Ratings:
      +2,543 / -16
      Come on man... it's all about priorities and getting a good education

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $63,463
        Ratings:
        +95,291 / -6,490
        No, its about recruiting and maximizing efficiency. If they have a place to go close to the training facilities to catch that afternoon nap. Their mornings often start at 430-500, the only time the staff can be sure no one has a class. Thenthey go to classes and often workout for hours, most do twice a day. All those little sleeping mats or huge lazy boys are there for a reason. Feed them, let them nap then get them back under the weights. Its amazing we managed to get 20 years behind. Bama, Barnand LSU had this in the 90s.

• Like Like x 1
        • Dislike Dislike x 1
        • List
        • Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,891
          Ratings:
          +2,494 / -128
          I totally expect Foley to halfa$$ this. There is only one all in approach, tear down the old president house and reroute 2nd Ave. around the property. Now you have room to build an all in one facility that overlooks our practice fields. Locker room, coaches offices, meeting rooms, weight room all in one.

The house looks as though it is only used for parties and events anymore and is kind of ran down. You know Ala, Clemson and Fsucks with our tax dollars would do it in a second. Lastly I heard Foley on the Steve Russel show and every time someone brought up football facilities he talked about limited dollars and how softball needs upgrades also, I don't see anything happening for a long time.

• Marianna-FL_Gator

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,134
          Ratings:
          +7,118 / -52
          If Foley said that then he's either lying to Mac about getting him what he needs to succeed or he's losing it. However...if Mac is able to win anyway (without getting the facilities he was promised when he took the job) the first big time program (with all the bells & whistles) comes calling, he'll be gone. Book it!

• TN G8tr

TN G8tr The "Original" TN G8tr
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $2,111
            Ratings:
            +3,692 / -20
            Foley just needs to learn......if Mac wants it, get it. When the W's start raising so will the $$$$'s.

• g8trs99

g8trs99 Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $11
              Ratings:
              +118 / -0
              I like what an earlier poster said about not upgrading the Odome, by building a new complex. However, I do understand that would probably be 12x the cost of upgrading, and UF basketball fans don't support the team like other top programs. (ie UK bringing in 20k a game.) There is not much room for it either. You would have to build out by the hotel and park and ride on 34th which would probably cut student attendance. (If UF could even get the property).
              As far as the football only facility I like the idea of tearing down the old President's home. You would not even have to reroute the road, just build a walk over.

• MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,984
              Ratings:
              +10,980 / -57
              I might be the only one who thinks not upgrading the O'Dome is a bad idea. I'm sure White is already using it as a recruiting emphasis, and by not going through with the renovations it could hurt recruiting. That is not what White needs right now.

I've brought up tearing the old president's home down when the IPF was being discussed. , but many said that won't happen.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $20,738
              Ratings:
              +28,349 / -429
              What are they doing w/ the old president's house now?

The easiest thing to do is give up the O'Dome parking lot (or most of it). It's the most space, close to stadium & practice fields, and probably most cost effective. Sure, it screws the big money boosters who park there but it's a sacrafice to improve/compete w/ the Bama's.

I agree w/ Law, it's ridiculous how far behind we are on facilities. In the 90's everyone used to beat their chests about how great our facilities and stadium were. Now it's practically a joke (compared to many other SEC facilities). We are probably not even in the top 8-10. Even Kentucky has improved it's football facilities to equal or better than ours (sure, their stadium is smaller, but it's nice/new/renovated). And by "facilities" I mean the overall facilities (football, baseball, basketball, other sports).

#54 BMF, Feb 17, 2016
              Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
            • MidwestChomp

MidwestChomp Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,984
              Ratings:
              +10,980 / -57
              The president's house is used for fundraisers and parties. I think groups on campus can rent it out. I like the idea of putting it in the O'Dome lot. Why not just build 2-3 more levels on the parking ramp?

• CU-UF

CU-UF Where-ever law ends, tyranny begins
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $667
              Ratings:
              +1,119 / -212
              The president's house is heavily utilized by the University for various meetings and receptions. It is not going to be torn down. Building in the O'Dome parking lot would probably be the best option. After that I would think the South endzone with a with the building extending over the road toward the engineering building.

The O'Dome renovations are an absolute must.

I still chuckle about the fervor of upgrading facilities. Facilities just dont become obsolete from in one year. 5 years ago it was not a problem and now it sounds like we have crap. I do point to Georgia as a program that is similar. They dont seem to be having problems.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $20,738
                Ratings:
                +28,349 / -429
                Yeah, UGA celebrating their 2 football national championships the last 10 years....and firing their coach..... No problems at all at UGA.

• CU-UF

CU-UF Where-ever law ends, tyranny begins
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $667
                Ratings:
                +1,119 / -212
                I get it, but then again, Bama is the only program that can point to results from facilities. I dont disagree that things need to change, but some of tone of these posts is as if we can't have a viable program in its current state. I'm just saying that Georgia is in a very similar situation facility wise, but has by most accounts been more successful than us.

• BMF

BMF Bad Mother....
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $20,738
                Ratings:
                +28,349 / -429
                UGA's AD is Jeremy Foley's protege....he worked at UF for 20+ years.

• ATXGator

ATXGator Austin Gator
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $955
                Ratings:
                +4,472 / -68