Stand alone Football Facility

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While I was looking down last night, I found myself wishing something would "stand alone". I guess we can't have everything.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
I agree but that article says they wont even choose the engineer until February and won't start construction until a year from now. Seems like they don't have it all worked out. Heck, it took Butler like 10 years to even start the big new plaza they just built in GNV.
Ox had this one wrong on both counts. Getting this done in 2.5 yrs isn't surprising in the least, and UF doesn't "cheap out" on construction projects. There's a lot that goes into building facilities on campus, and some of it is like developing in the private world (SOME! I said "SOME"!). There's a UF Master Plan that has to be complied with (or maybe amended), and they'll issue RFPs for various professional consultants and contractors, review/rank/select the professionals/contractor(s), negotiate contracts, budget (get cost estimates, then refin budgets, etc.). A year of design/engineering/permitting/selecting and 12-18 months of construction wouldn't surprise me. FYI, I'm not a UF employee (or any govt), but I've worked closely with UF's Planning, Design and Construction Division on a lot of projects. They know what they're doing, and they're more organized and as experienced as the vast majority of private developers you'll ever come across. They've delivered a ton of incredible, sophisticated facilities in recent years, and they'll do this one well.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ox had this one wrong on both counts. Getting this done in 2.5 yrs isn't surprising in the least, and UF doesn't "cheap out" on construction projects. There's a lot that goes into building facilities on campus, and some of it is like developing in the private world (SOME! I said "SOME"!). There's a UF Master Plan that has to be complied with (or maybe amended), and they'll issue RFPs for various professional consultants and contractors, review/rank/select the professionals/contractor(s), negotiate contracts, budget (get cost estimates, then refin budgets, etc.). A year of design/engineering/permitting/selecting and 12-18 months of construction wouldn't surprise me. FYI, I'm not a UF employee (or any govt), but I've worked closely with UF's Planning, Design and Construction Division on a lot of projects. They know what they're doing, and they're more organized and as experienced as the vast majority of private developers you'll ever come across. They've delivered a ton of incredible, sophisticated facilities in recent years, and they'll do this one well.

That may be true, but that is just about the ugliest thing imaginable. The track needs to be moved as we don't have enough room for practice fields and a proper facility.

Also, our own Sandy D'Alemberte decreed FSU would not build anything on their campus that was not collegiate gothic about 20 years ago and we should do the same as the flagship University.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Holy cow he's right! :facepalm:

Vince Lombardi would have thought it was the shiznet.

cfttb5pk5at9o5ifco8y

They can't be serious. That might be the ugliest rendering I've seen in ages. My uncle, God rest his soul, was an architect and developer. He designed things like that in the sixties. He regretted those buildings to his dying day. The "ghost" football players are the ones who won't sign up because they can't stand the way the building looks.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like something you would envision the Brady dad building back in the day.
/giphybradybunch

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
And yet.... unfortunately, he is.

And if somehow he and SOS encourage supporters to pony up most of the 60 million it will be a great thing he is still around. Now he can also be a good resource for the new guy to get to know his way around and get introduced to the say Bull Gators. Otherwise he should be retired. No matter what anybody might post he is a great Gator and wants good things to happen, note "wants".

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That building looks exactly like the cheapest shyt we can build type creation I'd expect from Fooley. Exactly what I'd expect.

Since we apparently still dragging our feet 2 years later I hope we can just scrap that design and come up wuth something decent looking and of appropropriate curbside appeal.

I know its never going to be a Bammer style Taj Majal with a golden fountain but cant it look like something other than a govt building from the 70s?

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody have pictures of other school's facilities to compare?

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think we should stick with Mike Brady as our architect to have some symmetry with all of the other facilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.