Stand your ground shooting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gator Fever, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Gator Fever

Gator Fever Senior Member

Oxbucks:
    $4,439
    Ratings:
    +8,498 / -333
    https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand...r-in-deadly-fight-over-parking-space-sheriff/

An argument over a handicapped parking spot at a convenience store in Florida led to a fatal shooting and the man who pulled the trigger won’t be arrested under the state’s “stand your ground” self-defense law, authorities said.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told reporters during a Friday press conference that Thursday’s shooting death of Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old father of three, is “within the bookends of stand your ground and within the bookends of force being justified,” the Tampa Bay Times reports.

“I’m not saying I agree with it, but I don’t make that call,” Gualtieri told reporters, adding that his agency will now forward the case to the State Attorney’s Office for a final decision.

Surveillance video obtained by The Post shows McGlockton walking up to Michael Drejka, 47, who was arguing with McGlockton’s girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, 24, over a handicapped parking spot at the Circle A Food store on Sunset Point Road in Clearwater on Thursday....

The couple’s two other children – a 4-month-old and a 3-year-old – were inside the car with Jacobs, she said. She is now in the process of hiring a lawyer to determine her options and next move, she told the Tampa Bay Times, adding that she wants justice on McGlockton’s behalf.
    -------------------------

Looks like the right decision legally was made here. Now would I have shot the guy as long as he didn't come forward to attack me again - no I would have just pointed the gun and saw if that got him to get away from me and then called the cops.

This is definitely one of those cases a lefty state attorney's office would have charged the guy before the stand your ground law however.

2. Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey Your mother makes me sammiches
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $42,685
    Ratings:
    +67,337 / -3,242
    Im all for having less shytheads in the world.

Edit: just realized this is a white shooter.... here we go. I blame Drumpf!

• Slug

Slug I fcuking hate people.
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $3,189
      Ratings:
      +4,283 / -70
      Black lives matter! Lol.

• alcoholica

alcoholica Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
      $3,887
      Ratings:
      +10,688 / -466
      I was always taught not to pull your gun unless you were going to use it. If he shot immediately, there would be less discussion about stand your ground.

• Bait'n Gator

Bait'n Gator Go away..... bait'n
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $3,580
        Ratings:
        +4,638 / -114
        I wish it were legal to shoot every ******* who parks in handicap illegally or parks at the front door across multiple parking spots because their too sorry to walk an extra 40 feet. Not fatally shoot them but maybe just in the leg or in the ass. Just make it were they can legally park handicap next time.

As far as this incident goes, it looks as if the wannabe handicap was walking away when he shot him, if so then I believe the shooter may be in trouble and rightfully so.

• GR8 2B

GR8 2B A Florida Gator
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $2,909
          Ratings:
          +3,795 / -65
          What a tragedy. After reading the article, the first thing that came to my mind was, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". Young Britany played her stupid game by parking illegally and not moving when Drejka said something to her about it. McGlockton played his stupid game by getting physical to an extreme with Drejka over a verbal argument instead of just leaving. Drejka played his stupid game by getting into a verbal argument with Britany over a parking spot instead of calling the police, then escalating to deadly force. Stupid all the way around, and flat-out disgusting.

#6 GR8 2B, Jul 21, 2018
          Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
          • oxrageous

oxrageous It's Good to be King
            Administrator

Oxbucks:
            $22,936
            Ratings:
            +38,319 / -1,257
            Yeah, I just can't help but think a parking spot isn't worth dying over.

• Okeechobee Joe

Okeechobee Joe Lost Ball in High Grass
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $4,768
              Ratings:
              +9,272 / -31
              Sometimes it's better just to keep your mouth shut.

• Gator Fever

Oxbucks:
                $4,439
                Ratings:
                +8,498 / -333
                Generally I agree with that but there are times I think displaying a gun to someone would get the job done and most people probably don't want to live with knowing they killed someone when it might have been avoided.

I guarantee you in this media environment this guy would have got charged with manslaughter or something if not for Florida's stand your ground law. Just listen to the lefty's version of events in the video and a jury can never know how fearful a person was at that point so it would have been BS to even charge someone without that law. I remember FL had quite a few cases in the media like this where people were getting their names dragged through the mud and getting killed financially with lawyer fees etc. before this law took effect.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $7,783
                Ratings:
                +16,161 / -146
                Exactly, especially when carrying. That gun in your pants isn't a license to get in someone's grill.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $2,956
                  Ratings:
                  +7,371 / -585
                  The shooter has been causing problems for a while.and was looking for a fight. Not sure he should be carrying at all. Anyone instigating a confrontation while carrying should be charged. It will stop these cowboys. It's for self defense. When you go looking for a fight you are no longer protected; It was barely a shove. This law needs to be repealed or amended. Feared for his life. Total bull****. I hope they get him somehow.

• Gator Fever

Oxbucks:
                  $4,439
                  Ratings:
                  +8,498 / -333
                  BS imo. You have a right to defend yourself and its not instigating gun play getting on someone verbally for parking in a handicapped spot when they aren't supposed to be doing that. The guy killed picked the wrong guy to physically attack that day. Barely a shove my butt.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Facepalm Facepalm x 1
                  • List
                  • NVGator

NVGator Member
                    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                    $5,080
                    Ratings:
                    +8,753 / -404
                    Here’s an interesting twist.... the guy shoved the other guy to the ground, victim pulls a gun and points for fear of his life. However, he doesn’t shoot right away and instead talks more smack about being a tough guy with a gun. NOW, role reversal, and the initial shover feels threatened and pulls his own gun, shoots, kills old man on the ground. Would that not be a Stand Your Ground situation?

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $2,956
                      Ratings:
                      +7,371 / -585
                      As a gun owner you have to be more responsible. This guy has been playing parking god for a while and he finally got the chance to use his weapon. His life was not in danger. He's a coward and should have never had a carry permit to begin with.

If you are walking around getting into verbal altercations it is only a matter of time before one becomes physical. You'd agree with that I'm sure. You have the gun and power. I hope he gets charged and this law is needs serious amending.

I have no problem with you carrying at all btw.

• ChiefGator

ChiefGator A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!

Oxbucks:
                        $2,480
                        Ratings:
                        +3,744 / -324
                        I would not get into an argument over a handicapped space, although it is not an excuse to use one if there is no other parking, that is just stupid. I don't think anybody should attack and shove to the ground a person over an argument, that is what got that fool shot. I would be afraid that he might kick me or do other massive harm. I don't carry a gun, because I don't have the hand eye coordination that I would demand. I suspect this is not only a "stand your ground" issue but rather a self defense issue. After all he was on the ground he could not retreat.

I kind of wish the older person was black and the younger one white then perhaps nothing would be so news worthy.

• ChiefGator

Oxbucks:
                          $2,480
                          Ratings:
                          +3,744 / -324
                          Back in the day the police had a policy, don't draw your weapon unless you are in physical danger, and if you do draw your weapon kill the person threatening you.

If I had a gun that would be my policy, here I can't really say what I might have done other than I would not be arguing over such a space, even though I have a plate to use such.

• ChiefGator

Oxbucks:
                            $2,480
                            Ratings:
                            +3,744 / -324
                            Where did you get the idea that he was causing problems for a while etc. ? I went back into the article and saw none of that.

That law was to protect mostly women who in defending themselves from men did not retreat, but rather defended themselves aggressively. The law needs no changes, and this case could be a standard self defense case. She should have moved her car and he should not have shoved a person he did not know to the ground or really anybody.

• T REX

T REX Well-Known Member
                            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                            $2,956
                            Ratings:
                            +7,371 / -585
                            The owner of the shop was on TV saying this guy has been a troublemaker for a while. He's a trigger happy coward. Shove equals death. Sounds right. They teach you at your CWP classes...make sure you say how in fear of your life you were when you shoot.

It's a bad law. It needs changes. You think that shooting was justified? In this forum I am not surprised.

• Gator Fever

Oxbucks:
                            $4,439
                            Ratings:
                            +8,498 / -333
                            Some state attorneys were basically using the theory you have a duty to retreat when it becomes possible to do so during the encounter. A bunch of state attorneys would have likely charged this guy and probably lost in court before the stand your ground law.

I could care less if this guy was an idiot he was justified by the law and the guy shot should have used sense before violently attacking someone like that where no physical confrontation was taking place.

• EyeDocGator

EyeDocGator Politically Incorrect
                              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,786
                              Ratings:
                              +5,079 / -93
                              I need some clarification. My understanding of "stand your ground" is that in some states the victim must attempt to escape an attacker before defending himself. "Stand your ground" eliminates this requirement. The video, in this case, shows an individual thrown to the ground and the attacker advancing. There is no possible way the person on the ground could have escaped. Why is "stand your ground" even discussed in this case?

The question is whether this shooting was actually self-defense. Being thrown to the ground is not sufficient reason to shoot someone. Fearing for your life because of a real threat is justification. It is entirely possible that the shooter did not perceive the individual retreating. This is probably the most stressful situation in the shooter's life, and the entire episode only took a few seconds. I doubt the shooter gets charged, and if charged I doubt he gets convicted.