Stiff QB Daniel Jones taken in top 10 of NFL Draft

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
If so, they had better believe they are going to take the next Lawrence Taylor soon, too.
Good point. Phil rarely had to win games for them; their defense was unbelievably stout. Hell, they even won a Super Bowl with Jeff Hostetler as QB one year when Simms was hurt.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They've spent the last 5 seasons rolling with a 45 year old, career-mediocrity QB who would've been benched years ago if he'd had any other last name. They would've fallen "full bloom" in love with DelRio if they'd seen clips of him.
I've never been more embarrassed for a grown man crying as much as I was for eli when he got benched. Dude was and at the same time saying how tough he was. Lol

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
jones must have banged heversle's boyfriend :grin:

Lol. You got me, Dirty! :eek: That’s it.

C’mon...the dude is just mediocre. I’m calling it like it is. The post was originally meant to highlight the fact that NFL teams still over value measurables and potential as opposed to intangibles and production. This is why Franks will play in the NFL and get drafted higher than anyone expected if he has a good year. A lot of you subscribe to this mentality as well, which is why you assume Kyler Murray is gonna be a bad NFL QB. He doesn’t fit the mold of a prototypical QB and is short, thus he’s gonna be the next Johnny Manziel.

Wrong.

The dude is elite in every category except for size. He also doesn’t take a lot of hits at all and is very good at throwing on the run. He is the exact kind of quarterback a team with a struggling O-line needs. I don’t have an issue with Jones personally, but if anybody thinks he wasn’t a reach at #6 overall in this draft, you must be delusional.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He’s in a better situation than Murray. Other than the Jones pick, the giants have had a very good draft. But, the overreacting media isn’t honest enough to say that. It is more fun to mindlessly pile on.

Glad you’re not a GM. You must be related to Gettleman. You can’t have a “good draft” if you whiff on your QB of the future. The Giants won’t be nearly as good on defense for Jones to be a Trent Dilfer. They’ll be drafting in the same position or higher next year. I guarantee it.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He's also staring down the receivers. Defenses will love that.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Glad you’re not a GM. You must be related to Gettleman. You can’t have a “good draft” if you whiff on your QB of the future. The Giants won’t be nearly as good on defense for Jones to be a Trent Dilfer. They’ll be drafting in the same position or higher next year. I guarantee it.

The problem is this was a joke QB draft. Any of these guys in last years draft are a 3 round pick. Giants failed to secure their future last year with a multitude of quarterbacks available and then they reached for this guy. All the quarterbacks in this draft had their warts and there was no guy in this draft that is going to step right in an be the man. They did over draft and will over pay for Jones. Just like the Redskins over-drafted and paid for the quarterback from Ohio State and the Cardinals who are extremely mismanaged over paid for Kyler Murray.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is this was a joke QB draft. Any of these guys in last years draft are a 3 round pick. Giants failed to secure their future last year with a multitude of quarterbacks available and then they reached for this guy. All the quarterbacks in this draft had their warts and there was no guy in this draft that is going to step right in an be the man. They did over draft and will over pay for Jones. Just like the Redskins over-drafted and paid for the quarterback from Ohio State and the Cardinals who are extremely mismanaged over paid for Kyler Murray.

I agree that it was a weak QB draft. That said, if you’re picking at 6, there’s no excuse to not improve your team by getting an elite player at another position. There’s no excuse. Either you’re trying to tank for next season or just incompetent.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Lol. You got me, Dirty! :eek: That’s it.

C’mon...the dude is just mediocre. I’m calling it like it is. The post was originally meant to highlight the fact that NFL teams still over value measurables and potential as opposed to intangibles and production. This is why Franks will play in the NFL and get drafted higher than anyone expected if he has a good year. A lot of you subscribe to this mentality as well, which is why you assume Kyler Murray is gonna be a bad NFL QB. He doesn’t fit the mold of a prototypical QB and is short, thus he’s gonna be the next Johnny Manziel.

Wrong.

The dude is elite in every category except for size. He also doesn’t take a lot of hits at all and is very good at throwing on the run. He is the exact kind of quarterback a team with a struggling O-line needs. I don’t have an issue with Jones personally, but if anybody thinks he wasn’t a reach at #6 overall in this draft, you must be delusional.

Jones was a reach, Murray an even bigger reach. The guy should have gone undrafted. He’ll be playing baseball in 3 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that it was a weak QB draft. That said, if you’re picking at 6, there’s no excuse to not improve your team by getting an elite player at another position.
This was just a pretty weak class all around, IMO.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jones was a reach, Murray an even bigger reach. The guy should have gone undrafted. He’ll be playing baseball in 3 years.

Have you actually watched him play or are you just being a contrarian? The dude is a beast. Won at every level he’s played. There’s no reason to assume he won’t excel in the NFL in an offense he’s already comfortable running. Will the Cardinals be good? I have no idea. David Johnson has to play like he did a few years ago, the O-line has to be rebuilt, and the defense has to be a lot better. But, QB won’t be their issue. Murray is a unique talent.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Have you actually watched him play or are you just being a contrarian? The dude is a beast. Won at every level he’s played. There’s no reason to assume he won’t excel in the NFL in an offense he’s already comfortable running. Will the Cardinals be good? I have no idea. David Johnson has to play like he did a few years ago, the O-line has to be rebuilt, and the defense has to be a lot better. But, QB won’t be their issue. Murray is a unique talent.
There’s no reason? You probably thought Doug Flutie would dominate the NFL, too.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
There’s no reason to assume he won’t excel in the NFL in an offense he’s already comfortable running.

1. His awful head coach.
2. One of the worst front offices in all of football.
3. One of the worst o-lines in recent memory and the dumbazz front office didn't make much of an attempt at addressing it.
4. The nfl won't allow him to run the offense he ran at Texas Tech. For one, they slow it down in a big way. If his failure head coach runs that same offense, he'll be fired after year one.
5. He has little in the way of skill players at the moment. Maybe the rookies help, but I doubt it.

Do I need to go on? I can.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There’s no reason? You probably thought Doug Flutie would dominate the NFL, too.

Flutie had quite the cannon. :lol:

In all seriousness, Murray is legit. Oklahoma has been blessed with great QB talent the past few years. I thought Mayfield would surprise critics as well and he did. Murray moves like a slot receiver when he runs, but is dominant in the pocket and has tremendous accuracy. Reminds me of Mahomes slightly in that they both look like MLB shortstops when they escape the pocket and make off schedule passes on the run. I think their strong baseball backgrounds are actually why they excel on the football field.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
1. His awful head coach.
2. One of the worst front offices in all of football.
3. One of the worst o-lines in recent memory and the dumbazz front office didn't make much of an attempt at addressing it.
4. The nfl won't allow him to run the offense he ran at Texas Tech. For one, they slow it down in a big way. If his failure head coach runs that same offense, he'll be fired after year one.
5. He has little in the way of skill players at the moment. Maybe the rookies help, but I doubt it.

Do I need to go on? I can.

You didn’t watch much of the NFL last year, huh? NFL teams are operating out of the shotgun and running more college style offenses than they ever have before. Look at how the Ravens used Lamar Jackson or how the Chiefs used Mahomes. Good coaches build their offenses around the skill sets of their personnel. You’re correct about the other shortcomings of the Cardinals, but their offense won’t be their issue in the next few years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Slev must be related. It's the only excuse.

If I had a #1 pick and I couldn't come up with anything better than that, I'd trade the pick for a backup guard or something.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
You didn’t watch much of the NFL last year, huh?

You didn't watch much Texas Tech or Oklahoma, huh?

1. Kingbury's offense will be much, much slower. The nfl won't allow that kind of speed. Compare the red raiders plays per game versus what KC or the Rams ran. Huge difference.
2. One of the gimmicks of the Oklahoma offense is how far back he'd take the shotgun. By the time he dropped back, Murray was often 9-10 yards behind the LOS. That won't fly in the nfl.
3. Kingsbury's teams are well known for how soft they are. That won't change in the nfl.
4. Kingsbury's offenses are always incredibly unbalanced. That is death for a QB at the next level.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Slev must be related. It's the only excuse.

If I had a #1 pick and I couldn't come up with anything better than that, I'd trade the pick for a backup guard or something.

Backup guard? LOLOLOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator