Stricklin talks to the Sentinel about Facilities, UF future

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Stricklin said. “We think the fact they have an opportunity to get an education from a top-10 public university should be a huge factor in the decision."
:facepalm:
Yeah he f'ng said that. Ho-le-fuk he's out of touch.
Hate to admit it, but that lends credence to the canard that the admin is more interested in academics than football.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Hate to admit it, but that lends credence to the canard that the admin is more interested in academics than football.

It’s fine for the University admins to hold this view, but the UAA is supposed to be independent. The UAA finances are not relying on the university, it is the other way around. The University just need to provide the land that adds to students experiences at UF.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
UF has never had a few large enough, vocally upset boosters when it comes to pressing the AD. The people with power were the ones running the “Foley is the greatest” campaign.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this statement. When Zook was coach, there was a group to include BHG III, Fred Levin, etc. who absolutely tore Foley and Machen a new one every chance they could regarding the Zook hire. I think these guys are all older now and not as involved but, they certainly did rip Foley and Machen.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
This is not surprising to me. Same crap I dealt with at UF all the time. Its really the current culture more than anything. Mostly arrogance that UF brand sells anything.

Academics rarely matters with football recruits, otherwise the Vandys and Stanfords of the football world would have been crushing Alabama every year in recruiting....

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The UAA does not seem to be particularly committed to Football winning a championship. Second place in the East is fine. The All Sports trophy and Baseball is where it's at. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I guess we need to recruit nothing but Engineering football players. It will take some years to get the residual Foley stank off this program.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
When these big recruits are considering what colleges to go to, I think academics comes in absolutely last on their list. Some of them probably don't think about it at all. The academic part is nothing but a necessary evil.
I fear you may be out of touch. I think that a lot of recruits think about academics-- they hope that the academics won't be too tough and they can stay eligible for three years.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
This photo from the article looks like it's from 1978.

J5B25I52TBHVNJKQW5532KIOYY.jpg

Why the wide ties, guys?

Stricklin looks like a science teacher from the early 80's and Dan looks like a Pastor about to give grief counseling (Dan has some really meek body language, at times). This photo, along with that pic of Dan wearing pants that are 7 sizes too big for him, kinda paints a picture of why we might be struggling to land some of the top recruits. Now, I'm not saying fashion is what matters most to kids, but consider these two things:

1. a first impression goes a long way, and it's very hard to erase.
2. schools are constantly screwing around with the design of their football uniforms as a way to attract recruits.

Everything about our program is being compared in the eyes of 17-18 yr old kids. They're shallow. You can't expect them to just go to UF because of US News' college rankings, or because grandpa really liked Coach Spurrier back in the day. So much of what our recruits see from UF is outdated. It's time for Stricklin and everyone in the program to step up their game to truly compete for the top recruits.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like what I see, way past time to step it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.