Best Posts in Thread: Stumpy Harris - RIP

1. daytonacane

Oxbucks:
    $1,346
    Ratings:
    +1,711 / -43
    I just received some sad news that Stumpy Harris passed away. I graduated from high school @ Robert E. Lee in Jax w/Stumpy and this year we had tentatively planned our 65th high school reunion. He was a devoted Gator fan & we always teased him about wearing Gator gear to any and ALL functions. He had gator glasses, cuff links, ties, shirts, pants, shoes and fleet of Gator vehicles and even let this Cane fan try on one of his NC Gator rings. In addition, he was a great guy, great attorney, loving husband and father. My heart goes out to his Wife, Ruthie & children. Gator Nation has sadly lost one of their biggest fans. May he rest in peace.

• gator1946

gator1946 Senior Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $2,422
      Ratings:
      +4,118 / -161
      We went to a game without tickets. We stayed in a nice hotel and I tried everything I could to score tickets. No luck. As we were driving trying to figure out what to do next , Ellen said I I've got this. I would never tell her she couldn't do something because then she would do it. So I told her she had no chance. She spotted another upscale hotel and said pull over. I'll be back in ten minutes. Out she comes with three tickets. Of course, as always, she has a new best friend in tow. She continues to chat with him. He asks how often we go to the games. I answer, all the time.

Then I make my big mistake and say this is the first time for my son. (He was twelve). Ellen's new best friend was Stumpy. Stumpy says, twelve and he's never been to a game? He looks at me like I'm Darth Vader and shakes his head. I did not make a good first impression. Thank God for Ellen. Stumpy wouldn't take a dime for the tickets. I spent hours failing she spent ten minutes.

• Theologator

Theologator Enchanter
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $7,939
        Ratings:
        +9,064 / -123
        Sad news indeed. I remember at my very first Gator game, Stumpy had a big sedan with big speakers mounted on the roof and he would drive around the stadium and parking areas blasting recordings of the Gator Band playing the fight song etc.

He was part of a core group of young lawyers that laid the foundations of Holland & Knight in Bartow back in the 60’s and lived catty-corner across the street from us. Our families lost touch over the years, but Stumpy and his ex-wife Dottie were godparents to my little sister. God bless and keep him.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $10,389
          Ratings:
          +19,613 / -96
          I said “that DIDN’T involve alcohol”.

We used to rate ugly chicks by how many beers you’d have to drink before banging her.

A 6 pack was ugly. A 12 pack was really ugly. A case was disgusting. A keg was the worst.

Except for Donk’s wife.

She was an entire fcuking brewery.

We actually debated if there was another level uglier than a brewery and some postulated there might exist a “Germany” as in you’d have to drink all the beer in Germany (which I understand is a LOT of beer) but that’s a purely theoretical Medusa-level of ugliness that may not even exist in real life.

Alex.

• alcoholica

alcoholica I'm what Willis was talking about
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $7,724
            Ratings:
            +15,834 / -697
            Let's leave Donk's wife out of this.

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $10,389
              Ratings:
              +19,613 / -96
              You're thinking of Huntley Johnson, not Stumpy Harris.

Huntley was the criminal defense attorney that represented all of Urban's wayward boys. Haven't hear his name in a long time.

Stumpy didn't do criminal work. He did a lot of eminent domain stuff but his biggest asset was his "rolodex" (I put that in quotes because nobody actually has a rolodex anymore). Stumpy knew everybody. Often times, legal work is more about relationships than anything else and Stumpy was a master at the relationship business.

Alex.

• BNAG8R

BNAG8R Pronouns: them, they, their

Oxbucks:
                $5,118
                Ratings:
                +8,995 / -179
                I’m truly sorry I never met Ellen. I can tell I would have immediately liked her.

You? Jury’s still out... ;)

• Like Like x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • List

The Box

Help

You don't have the necessary permissions to use the chat.

1. There are currently no users chatting.
                    • About Us

Our community sprung up when the Gatorsports message board was shut down in the summer of 2014. We pride ourselves on offering Gator-biased, yet critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is the best Gator message board you will find.
                    • Like us on Facebook

• Buy us a Zima!

The management works very hard to make sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a non-alcoholic Zima? We'd really appreciate it! Just click the "Donate" tab at the top of the page.