Suggestions for a carry weapon

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If you guys ever need to price check something, I am an FFL so I would be glad to help. Not looking to sell anything.

Florida Gun Exchange is offering these deals, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Colt's Manufacturing, Expanse, Semi-automatic Rifle, 556NATO, 16.1" Barrel, 1:7 Twist, A2 Fixed Front Sight, Black Finish, 30Rd, Includes Forward Assist and Dust Cover

$749 on their website, sale price of $639 with a free Colt Expanse kit including truglo red dot sight and a 30 round magpul pmag.

Sig Sauer 516 Patrol Gen 2 Semi-Auto 223 Rem 16" 30+1 Adj Stk Blk

$1,604.62 on their website, sale price of $1,499.00.

Alex.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Florida Gun Exchange is offering these deals, I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Colt's Manufacturing, Expanse, Semi-automatic Rifle, 556NATO, 16.1" Barrel, 1:7 Twist, A2 Fixed Front Sight, Black Finish, 30Rd, Includes Forward Assist and Dust Cover

$749 on their website, sale price of $639 with a free Colt Expanse kit including truglo red dot sight and a 30 round magpul pmag.

Alex.
They're two very different (even though it doesn't seem like it) rifles. What's your primary purpose?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
$549 for S&W .40 M&P M2.0? Also opinion on it for a dual purpose weapon...

My cost on this gun is $445.00 and retail is around $589.00. The larger gun stores with high overhead try to stay near retail. These are good guns and are being carried by law enforcement in alot of places. Hope this helps.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014

Alex.

The Sig first. My cost normally $1359.00 on sale now for $1259.00 my cost. Retail is right around $1600.00

The Colt. Last year colt decided to require dealers to become "stocking dealers" in order to buy and sell their product which I refuse to do because they insist on me buying x amount of their product. That being said, my cost on that gun is $624.00 without the red dot. Good deal on that gun.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
My cost on this gun is $445.00 and retail is around $589.00. The larger gun stores with high overhead try to stay near retail. These are good guns and are being carried by law enforcement in alot of places. Hope this helps.
Thanks, any thoughts on this as a carry weapon? Would I be better off buying 2 separate guns? My stepson currently has a Glock 9mm and AR but will probably be moving out of the house soon so I need something for both situations.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yes, I would carry this gun in a heartbeat. I like this gun better than a glock.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
In case you guys arent familiar with slickguns, I would check their listings for best prices. They dont sell anything but they list prices for many gun stores and sometimes you can find good deals. For example they showed ARs for $399.00 complete this week.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
The Sig first. My cost normally $1359.00 on sale now for $1259.00 my cost. Retail is right around $1600.00

The Colt. Last year colt decided to require dealers to become "stocking dealers" in order to buy and sell their product which I refuse to do because they insist on me buying x amount of their product. That being said, my cost on that gun is $624.00 without the red dot. Good deal on that gun.
Just one note for ADG, the Sig is piston while the Colt is direct impingement. Now I'm one of those old school idiots who actually likes to clean my weapons, but once you fire and clean a piston driven AR, you will NEVER want to go back to the standard direct impingement cleaning... ever.... ever... EVER!!!!! ;) The last AR I bought from Spike's Tactical was piston and I shoot a LOT, and that's the one I run the most because of heat while drilling and cleaning afterward.

Also, the Sig Gen2 grip is a little funky compared to "normal," but you'd get over it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Sorry, responded to the wrong post.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
They're two very different (even though it doesn't seem like it) rifles. What's your primary purpose?
I owned a SIG SWAT 556 in the past. I liked the reliability and dependability of the piston system and that it accepted standard A/R magazines. I shot pretty cheap PMC ammunition through it with no problems.

I no longer own that rifle :weep: and I'd like to replace it. I'm not seeing 556s for sale. Seems everybody is on the 516 bandwagon.

Of course, SIGs are damn expensive and the ad for the Colt just caught my eye.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Thanks!

Alex.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I owned a SIG SWAT 556 in the past. I liked the reliability and dependability of the piston system and that it accepted standard A/R magazines. I shot pretty cheap PMC ammunition through it with no problems.

I no longer own that rifle :weep: and I'd like to replace it. I'm not seeing 556s for sale. Seems everybody is on the 516 bandwagon.

Of course, SIGs are damn expensive and the ad for the Colt just caught my eye.

Alex.
Yeah, see my other comment about piston vs. direct impingement, but obviously you are already familiar with the distinction... oh, and in case I wasn't clear, soooooooo easy to clean piston vs DI!!!!! ;)

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just one note for ADG, the Sig is piston while the Colt is direct impingement. Now I'm one of those old school idiots who actually likes to clean my weapons, but once you fire and clean a piston driven AR, you will NEVER want to go back to the standard direct impingement cleaning... ever.... ever... EVER!!!!! ;) The last AR I bought from Spike's Tactical was piston and I shoot a LOT, and that's the one I run the most because of heat while drilling and cleaning afterward.

Also, the Sig Gen2 grip is a little funky compared to "normal," but you'd get over it.

And you can shoot 100 rounds in a rapid succession without having to worry about having a bolt carrier hot enough to cook burgers on. :cool:

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Alex.

I've read that a 1:9 twist for when using a heavier grain is a better setup. I would like one you more knowledgeable fellows to comment on this.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I've read that a 1:9 twist for when using a heavier grain is a better setup. I would like one you more knowledgeable fellows to comment on this.
You have it backwards. For 16" barrels, 1:7 is a fast twist rate and will stabilize heavier bullets, 62g through 77 to 80g. Slower twist rates, like 1:9 or more, will not stabilize heavier bullets. Easiest way to see this is on a paper target: pencil hole = stabilized, while a tear = unstable/tumbling.
Update: here's a good summation. People get twist rates/barrel length issues mixed up all the time, much like 5.56 vs .223 Remington chamber issues.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You have it backwards. For 16" barrels, 1:7 is a fast twist rate and will stabilize heavier bullets, 62g through 77 to 80g. Slower twist rates, like 1:9 or more, will not stabilize heavier bullets. Easiest way to see this is on a paper target: pencil hole = stabilized, while a tear = unstable/tumbling.
Update: here's a good summation. People get twist rates/barrel length issues mixed up all the time, much like 5.56 vs .223 Remington chamber issues.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/pair-barrel-twist-rates-ammo/
thanks, when I retire back to Florida soon, I will be purchasing various items and will probably be asking you guys some questions at that time

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And if you ever feel like your barrel has too much twist for your ammo, just shorten it up a bit, less than 10" is a popular length :grin:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
IMG_4246.JPG
Alot of people are going with the 1:8 twist to be able to shoot both.
I agree... in general, 1:7 will stabilize 55-85g while 1:8 will stabilize 50-80g. And like you said, for 99% of the civilian market, 1:8 does the job because wayyyyy less than 1% are going to shoot anything heavier than 77g and very few shoot 77g anyway. I have two bandoliers sitting here, one says "Fun" (69g) and one says "77" (but should say "Fight").

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.