Sunbelt Billy stinks it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I am fine with Sling Blade being process oriented and caring about attention to detail. I have said he talks like a HC, but it is apparent that this stage is way too big for Karl to be the CEO type and also try to call plays on game day. I have thought the offensive game management has been suspect even in games we have won and/or played well. The special teams outside of the actual kicking of the ball (for the most part) have been awful. I would say Karl should understand the magnitude of this undertaking and if he wants to have a process, he should cede to the many who have said he needs to hire a full time OC. You want to be process and detail oriented, that means all parts, and trying to call plays and not being that good at it should be a sign.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
You take what the D gives you, today they gave us the pass and Richerson had 400 yds, should have been 500 if not for the drops.
Penalties and turnovers cost us the game today not play calling.
Calm down and give this guy a chance to get his people in place.
The best thing for this team going Forward is for Number 15 to go pro. He just cant be counted on in the clutch.
The guy has shown us who he is and it isn't good enough.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
From what I can tell, Billy really doesn't care if he wins or loses any particular game, as long as he's following whatever process he believes he should follow. He thinks the wins will come as long as the process is followed. He's not wired like Spurrier or Meyer or Saban who hated losing above all else and would change whatever they needed to change to avoid losing. To Billy, losing is just part of the process. So is getting fired in 3 years if the wins don't come.
Yep. That's the difference between process oriented people and results oriented people.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I am fine with Sling Blade being process oriented and caring about attention to detail. I have said he talks like a HC, but it is apparent that this stage is way too big for Karl to be the CEO type and also try to call plays on game day. I have thought the offensive game management has been suspect even in games we have won and/or played well. The special teams outside of the actual kicking of the ball (for the most part) have been awful. I would say Karl should understand the magnitude of this undertaking and if he wants to have a process, he should cede to the many who have said he needs to hire a full time OC. You want to be process and detail oriented, that means all parts, and trying to call plays and not being that good at it should be a sign.

The people of A&M are trying to force their HC into hiring an OC after 5 years of evidence and over 50 million wasted. You really think the UF brass and Napier himself will have the self awareness that this needs to take place after one .500 season? Zero chance. This is what it looks like for 2.5 years.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The people of A&M are trying to force their HC into hiring an OC after 5 years of evidence and over 50 million wasted. You really think the UF brass and Napier himself will have the self awareness that this needs to take place after one .500 season? Zero chance. This is what it looks like for 2.5 years.
In fairness I would not even bring the UF "brass" into the equation. at best they are plastic. There is a reason why we have 20 years of football incompetence, sans 4 or 5 years of Leyer. And as time has gone on many of the sports programs have eroded at UF, and it all goes back to the freight train that Fooley allowed to derail. So as I have said for a very very long time, we have the absolute worst administration in the SEC when it comes to the business or knowledge of sports.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I'm not sure what will be worse....
Losing to FSU then they go on to win their bowl game finish 10-3 and probably in the top 15-18....in which case they probably steal several of our best recruits which they always do when they beat us.....we on the other hand will likely lose to them, play UCF again and finish 6-7 again and the 3rd best team in the state.....and then UCF steals some more of our recruits.....I hope you guys realize this is a strong possibility.
I'd just rather us decline the bowl invite then, even worse would be if Scum gets eligible for a bowl and we get matched up with them.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
A truly well balanced and confident offensive team RARELY goes for it on 4th down....This is some loser Mike Leach philosophy but without the wide open passing game....normally offenses try to avoid 4th downs all together, we seem to be attracted to them like a magnet
3rd down is the money down. 4th down is the credit down.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I'd just rather us decline the bowl invite then, even worse would be if Scum gets eligible for a bowl and we get matched up with them.
But that would defeat the purpose of all that extra practice time that is so valuable for the following year. And given that a good portion of the fanbase laments how many frosh and sophs and 4th and 7th graders we are playing, then hardly anyone would opt out and those practices would clearly vault us into the top 5 to begin next season.:thug:

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
I'm still on the train, only because of Recruiting. Well that, and I don't want to see Florida pull the plug on a guy after one damn season.
I'm still on the fence about the next two years, and a Harsin situation here though. It could happen, if Napier doesn't do some self reflection in the off season. The fans and boosters just aren't going to accept another season anything close to this one.

I think we will know the answer before next season. If Napier makes significant adjustments, like coaching changes and getting an OC, it at least shows he recognizes the problems.

At Louisiana he had the "time" to do both. As head coach at UF he has many more secondary obligations (promotions, endorsements, Gator clubs, boosters, etc.) taking his time. If he does not learn to delegate even more, and quickly, he won't make it. His process may work but he has to relinquish more of the hands-on and be much more the CEO.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

On one of the past episodes of that Gator Nation podcast, they said Billy was a very average pass play caller, his plays weren't that well designed. They said his run play calls on the other hand were typically fantastic with very well designed play calls on those. So maybe he gets like a passing game coordinator in here to help with the passing game? Of course he has to admit to himself that he's not getting it done, not sure how stubborn he's gonna be.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First time in my lifetime! Uggghhhh!!!!!

Me too.

I thought Nashville, an overmatched opponent and a team with momentum, what could possibly go wrong?
We win the game and then we all party on Broadway until midnight. What a fool I am.

Are there any dubious accomplishments or records left for this program to achieve?
It seems to me that every possible bad thing that could happen to this program has happened in the last 6-8 years.
Nowhere to go but up, I guess

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Me too.

I thought Nashville, an overmatched opponent and a team with momentum, what could possibly go wrong?
We win the game and then we all party on Broadway until midnight. What a fool I am.

Are there any dubious accomplishments or records left for this program to achieve?
It seems to me that every possible bad thing that could happen to this program has happened in the last 6-8 years.
Nowhere to go but up, I guess
Try almost 15 that we have been :waiting:
:waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting: :waiting:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
But that would defeat the purpose of all that extra practice time that is so valuable for the following year. And given that a good portion of the fanbase laments how many frosh and sophs and 4th and 7th graders we are playing, then hardly anyone would opt out and those practices would clearly vault us into the top 5 to begin next season.:thug:

I've already chalked up a loss in the bowl game, no doubt we'll be down to like 50 scholarship players by then with all the attrition and opting out of the bowl game anyways. They'll match us up with some small school that will treat it like their Super Bowl like last year, and we'll get embarrassed again. Just rather not go and Billy can try and mold these guy starting in the spring.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Saban’s first year at Bama he went 6-6 and lost to Vandy.
Luckly for him and Bama the negative-nellys opinion didn’t matter a damn.
Yes we get it. We have heard it. The extrapolation is perfect, so therefore, i.e. ergo Sling Blade will deliver a handful of NC rings and Sling Blade will make everyone forget about Satan just like Satan made everyone forget about Bear. Yes we all know Satan was 6-6 but let's not compare anything. Every situation is independent of any past situation at any other school. As mentioned 3 of the top 10 in the playoff rankings have 1st year HC's and all 3 of them are coming off SHYT years in 2021. So why can't you compare Karl to those examples. Same time period so seems fair? But it is not. Stop the comparisons or analogies. All situations are completely different.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I've already chalked up a loss in the bowl game, no doubt we'll be down to like 50 scholarship players by then with all the attrition and opting out of the bowl game anyways. They'll match us up with some small school that will treat it like their Super Bowl like last year, and we'll get embarrassed again. Just rather not go and Billy can try and mold these guy starting in the spring.
I would be all for not going to a bowl for only one reason. When we get A$$ Raped by UConn or Lake Superior State, we won;t have to listen to the litany of fan's excuses about it being the other team's super bowl and we had guys quit or opt out or go thru the motions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator