Not open for further replies.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meanwhile:
Mark Stoops has signed a contract extension that adds $2 million per year in salary and goes through 2031. He will make $8.6 million a year

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Meanwhile:
Mark Stoops has signed a contract extension that adds $2 million per year in salary and goes through 2031. He will make $8.6 million a year
You know it seems almost unimaginable that excluding Vandy, a program in the SEC pays a coach 8.6 M per year and it is NOT the most cared about sport at that University. That might be the best gig going in the SEC in a twisted sort of way.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Gundy loses AGAIN
Kiffin loses
Jimbo is awful
South Car BEAT Toothless

So where are all these proven P5 coaches?

Am I the only Napier fan left?

NOLA, I already gave 2 examples earlier in this thread. You’re a good guy but comments like the one you just posted show you’ve got your head buried in the sand.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The eternal question. Just when you think he's turned the corner, he goes backwards.

At the very least, we should have run the ball a lot more, especially after two receivers went out hurt early.
the donk thinks they are simply running plays, not options. I question not only the mesh-style handoff, which would be unnecessary and counterproductive in a simple zone blocking run, but also the fact that AR does actually keep the ball from time to time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What made yesterday even more disappointing was the progress we seemed to have made the prior 2 weeks just vanished. There is never an excuse for us to lose to Vandy.
They've kinda done that all year though....played great against Utah and then like sh!t the next 2 games.....good for a half or whole game here and then suck the next one or 2....The team has no identity and lacks leadership. Passive playcalling offensively and other than 1.5 games, the same defensively. At most times it's as if the coaches are waiting for the players to win the games on their own and were NOWHERE talented enough to do that.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I still think he deserves 3 years, including this one, to get his players, culture and scheme in place. But the more I see, the less I think it will matter.

Can anyone here imagine Billy calling three time outs at the end of a blowout game against any of our hated rivals? Can anyone here imagine him running up the score on any of our rivals just because no one had scored that many on them at home before?

I can't.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the donk thinks they are simply running plays, not options. I question not only the mesh-style handoff, which would be unnecessary and counterproductive in a simple zone blocking run, but also the fact that AR does actually keep the ball from time to time.

I've seen coffee klatches finish quicker than mesh-style handoffs.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I still think he deserves 3 years, including this one, to get his players, culture and scheme in place. But the more I see, the less I think it will matter.

Can anyone here imagine Billy calling three time outs at the end of a blowout game against any of our hated rivals? Can anyone here imagine him running up the score on any of our rivals just because no one had scored that many on them at home before?

I can't.
We don't have enough plays in the playbook to run up the score on anybody

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I can't.

Let's at least give him 2 years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I can't.

He’ll get next year. That’s a given. But I think we’ll definitively know everything we need to know by the close of that season. Between the portal and a second year in the system, you don’t need 3-5 years to build things anymore. That’s why guys like Butch Jones get fired, and guys like Smart, Saban, Meyer, even Huepel to an extent, show what they can do in year 2. We don’t have to win a Title or even the SEC. But we will know what we have.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
He’ll get next year. That’s a given. But I think we’ll definitively know everything we need to know by the close of that season. Between the portal and a second year in the system, you don’t need 3-5 years to build things anymore. That’s why guys like Butch Jones get fired, and guys like Smart, Saban, Meyer, even Huepel to an extent, show what they can do in year 2. We don’t have to win a Title or even the SEC. But we will know what we have.
Agreed.
That's fair. I think contracts should be written like that. And bonuses over guaranteed buy outs.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

That's exactly where I stand. I only hope he hires a good OC and leave the play calling alone. I really don't see that getting better in year 2, or ever.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I see folks still talking about how they like “the culture Billy is building “. The only culture I see from Billy is one of losing . An accountable loser is still a loser . There are a number of things that could be done to improve the team. Can Bateman and move Mike to linebackers . Let Sean S coach the whole DL and bring Brian Johnson back to call plays and coach the QB. It is no coincidence that our QB play he been poor since he left. While seeing Hurts improve significantly to one of the best in the game .
It won’t happen but it is clear as day Billy can’t stay the play caller. Special teams is such a disaster it’s an embarrassment and a big part in the pitiful loss yesterday.

Brian Johnson is going to be an NFL HC in the next two years. The chatter has already started with what he’s done with Hurts.

If we wanted to keep Johnson we should have canned Mullen when he basically quit caring the last half of 2020 after the GA game and got himself put on probation and given him an interim year to show he was up to the task.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That's exactly where I stand. I only hope he hires a good OC and leave the play calling alone. I really don't see that getting better in year 2, or ever.

I have no hope he’ll do that. My hope hinges on AR’s limitations and he’s being forced to play all this way. We knew he was going to do this coming in, and we’re basically the same as last year. So there’s less than 1% chance that Stricklin or anyone else will be able to convince him it’s totally not working after the season.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016

I can't.
He'll most definitely do those things if the analysts put it on his decision matrix. No chance he'll do it if they don't. What's actually transpiring during any particular game won't be considered in the least.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

I fear the opposite. I fear a top 10 finish in recruiting obscuring failures in game management and player development, to the point where either side of the argument, in support or against, work together to create an unhappy and elongated status quo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb