Super Bowl rosters - rankings as recruits

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
These threads usually end badly. The anti-star people try to say that because there are 2 and 3 stars playing that stars dont matter. I wonder which "stars don't matter" yokel will lob the first grenade boomerang.

Lurker

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The 2014 Gators team was not good at all. Especially the offensive line. But since the players had the measurables that the NFL covets, 4 offensive linemen were drafted that year. I don’t know how to find it. But imagine those players were highly recruited out of high school. Because their play on the field left a lot to desire a good portion of the time in college.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
These threads usually end badly. The anti-star people try to say that because there are 2 and 3 stars playing that stars dont matter. I wonder which "stars don't matter" yokel will lob the first grenade boomerang.
This yokel will at least observe that the chart provided is dumber than grits. Btw did you learn how to attempt to bully weaklings out of posting by reading libs on the politics forum?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This yokel will at least observe that the chart provided is dumber than grits. Btw did you learn how to attempt to bully weaklings out of posting by reading libs on the politics forum?
What the hell are you talking about?
Press 1 for English.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I remember when Spurrier said "Stars don't matter",,,, fun times.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Percentage of New England Offensive Players That People Would Mistake For Lowe’s Assistant Managers
new-pie-chart.png

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to see the chart if it included the 3 stars just below 4 star status - the 5.7 ones in Rivals as a bunch of good linemen (especially O linemen) come from that group.

A chart excluding the Offensive line positions would look a lot different I think.

Last edited:

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
For this chart to have any context you would have to account for how many actual recruits each ranking consisted of. If there is a much smaller total number of 4 and 5 stars every year than 3 or less then the percentages would greatly favor the 4 and 5 stars on a per capita basis even if they make up just less than 50% of that chart.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stars are only an indication of college production, not of production on the NFL level. We can all agree that the human body, the male body in particular develops a lot between 18-22 which means the same athlete at 17/18 could be a much different athlete at 22.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Stars are only an indication of college production, not of production on the NFL level. We can all agree that the human body, the male body in particular develops a lot between 18-22 which means the same athlete at 17/18 could be a much different athlete at 22.

This. Two separate games, often requiring different type athletes, and played at different times in their lives. And that's not even getting into the numerical element of things and the fact that there are many more 3*s and under than 4*s and over, so probability is completely skewed.

It's interesting to see how things change at that level, but has no bearing on the "stars matter(don't)" discussion.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Now, do the same for the Bama - Clemson rosters...

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I really don't understand the point of this. NFL doesn't use stars ... they use college performance and combine performance. It is apples and oranges. Stars do matter, but, it might be the system that awards stars that is a bit skewed. With that said, any system awarding stars on a curve will always be skewed. Class rankings are what I think kinda don't matter too much because it gets too dang murky once you get out of the top 5 to say one team did a better job recruiting than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb