Swamp bar and restaurant being torn down for apartments

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
The crowds were too much for me on game day so I can't say I'll miss it.
The once or twice we ate there I remember it as being ok.
The the thing I will miss most is it was part of the game day atmosphere. I liked driving by there and seeing Gators everywhere full of excitement and happy to be going to a Gator game.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
College Inn is gone. Alan's Cubana is gone. Sonny's has more than one location (a long drive toward the airport). Used to be a restaurant downtown call the Rose something or other. Place had olive oil and red vinegar in crystal pitchers on the table-where a college kid could learn manners. Good gracious, how are Florida men supposed to make it now.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chains over charm. That's the Gainesville restaurant scene now. It is what it is.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
UF was such an awesome place to go to school in the ealry-mid 90’s , sad how generic and commercialized it has become . Breaks my heart

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UF was such an awesome place to go to school in the ealry-mid 90’s , sad how generic and commercialized it has become . Breaks my heart
I hear ya. It was pretty damn good when I was in school. It's a function of money. That can never be too bad. Besides, Celebration Pointe is chockfull of charm.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
This thread is depressing :(... So many memories.
I guess everything has to change.
It's too bad though; nothing like Gainesville back in the day. I wish there was a way we could keep it alive.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
We probably did.

I was in law school at the time. Porpoise had 3 in 1s on Wednesdays. You'd order a rum and coke and get a clear drink (maybe a shade lighter than ginger ale). Wednesdays were always the Porpoise/Swamp combo nights. I think Swamp gave you something like 5 free wings.

We'd go to Porpoise first to get banded so we wouldn't have to wait in line later. Then to Swamp for beer and the free wings and Ken and Andrew (had to get there early to get a seat at the outside tables). Then back to the Porpoise for serious drinking and associated skulduggery.

Damn those were good times. I only wish I could remember them.

Alex.
We'd pop our heads out of the Porpoise and walk down a little ways toward The Swamp to see if Ken and Andrew's red van was out front getting unloaded. If we saw the red van we knew it was going to be a good night.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

UF was such an awesome place to go to school in the ealry-mid 70s , sad how generic and commercialized it has become . Breaks my heart
FIFY
. It's a function of money. That can never be too bad. Besides, Celebration Pointe is chockfull of charm.
:lmao:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
For the old salts on here, what other old restaurants are still around? I loved swamp (atmosphere) and Leonardo’s (all three were cool in their own right). Burritos Bros was good too. I spent a lot of time at Ballyhoos and that oyster place too.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is Foley mayor of Gainesville now? Only explanation for the rapid decline in everything that made it such a great college town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb