Gator Baseball Take me out to the ball game!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Softball off to a nice 6-0 start too heading to ranked Lousiana-Lafayette for a DH today and single game tomorrow.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Another win against Siena today. The same Siena that comes up here for a 4 game set at G-W starting Thursday.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Good start, all things considered. Was and should have been an easy sweep as Siena had one decent pitcher and a couple of decent hitters and were way out of their league. Was hoping to see more of the young pitchers this weekend but Sully let the starters go about 90 pitches, which was about 10-15 more than I figured. maybe b/c we are on the road at scrotUM next weekend. Glad we have a decent test on road so early on. With FAU and BCC at the Mac this week, I expect to see 4 or more pitchers each game with all being the young and seldomly used guys. Would like to find some guys who can help on the weekend.

Couple of noticeable things from this series. This new kid Dalton has some pop and is strong. Bell got off to nice start which we need, albeit against poor pitching, but that is what we should have done. The one noticeable slow start was by Langworthy. Seemed to try and work the count a lot as leadoff hitter and let a lot of good pitches go by. Too many K's and pop ups. But in his last at bat he laced a double on the 1st pitch. Perhaps he decided to go after the fat one.

All 3 starters were good, but I have seen them all much better, but it was just just the first start. Dyson was a little wild, but he ended so amazing in the supers and in Omaha I thought he might keep going, but he will be fine.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Gator baseball is starting tonight woo! WOO!! WOOooo!! WOOooo!!!

I'll try to grab some drinks at The Social this afternoon and head over there early to see some of the hoopla with the national championship banner unveiling etc.!

Yes, yes I know, it's not football... but It's awfully fun winning every once and a while. Of course, that's what I said about this coming basketball season and now I'm about ready to completely give up on that. So, here I am ready to bandwagon on the baseball team again.

I think the season will ride on whether J.J. can get his magic back or not. I'm hoping we can see a few more hits and homers from the team this year. We will probably need them to get back to Omaha.

Any thoughts from the 2 or 3 other gator baseball fans out there? Anyone else going? I believe it's going to be streamed on WatchESPN app/espn3 by the way.
I went down last week to see the girls home opener. After spending some quality time at Swamp Head Brewery. God I love that place. Barnhill was amazing and one batter away from a perfect game, but I must say that I jinxed her because I talked about the perfect game. Won't do it again. Tough loss today, wish Kelly would have been throwing, but no biggie.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
Oh yeah, chose Gator baseball over Gator basketball the other night because I figured White was going to White. I hated being correct but I just couldn't deal with the frustration of them following the same script. Again.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
All our big guys are pitchers. Couldn't we get some big swat muscle-guys?

Sully has stated that if given the choice, he’ll take a stud pitcher over a slugger any day. I like to see offense, but I understand his thinking. I’ve heard and witnessed the importance of proficient small ball in the CWS because HRs are hard to come by. That plus stellar pitching is what typically wins the hardware.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sully has stated that if given the choice, he’ll take a stud pitcher over a slugger any day. I like to see offense, but I understand his thinking. I’ve heard and witnessed the importance of proficient small ball in the CWS because HRs are hard to come by. That plus stellar pitching is what typically wins the hardware.
Unfortunately, Sully's one of the worst small ball managers in college baseball.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Unfortunately, Sully's one of the worst small ball managers in college baseball.

Yeah, I don’t know baseball that well, but it seems we need a better swing coach and/or better small ball strategy. I’m thrilled with the trophy, but I wonder if Sully might’ve won 2 or 3 by now with smarter offense in Omaha.

No matter what, UF is partying with the hardware while the nole$ are outside with their sorry faces pressed against the window.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am tickled with our supersized pitchers, I just don't see that eliminating us bringing in OFs & 1Bs that can be power hitters (as well as hit for average = contact hitters). JJ, our power, hit only 12 HRs last year, batting only .259. (He's lost ground as a power hitter and RBI-man. Do we have the right swing-coach?)

Now, I'm not fussingly displeased; I'm actually just begging ... for us to be monstrous in hitting like we are in pitching. Recruit so we can build a dynasty - very difficult in baseball. ? :cool:

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We win the NC and open by demolishing a team (admittedly a weak sister) three times. But some of us are already bitching. I'd rather throw barbs at some other coaches at this point in the baseball season.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I mention hitting lack and we go out and score 19 runs. IDK??
It was Sienna. Guess we'll face a valid threat when we play Miami soon?

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I am tickled with our supersized pitchers, I just don't see that eliminating us bringing in OFs & 1Bs that can be power hitters (as well as hit for average = contact hitters). JJ, our power, hit only 12 HRs last year, batting only .259. (He's lost ground as a power hitter and RBI-man. Do we have the right swing-coach?)

Now, I'm not fussingly displeased; I'm actually just begging ... for us to be monstrous in hitting like we are in pitching. Recruit so we can build a dynasty - very difficult in baseball. ? :cool:

Unfortunately, college ball must contend with the MLB draft. Your better hitters are going to be drafted higher and fast tracked to the bigs... Gettin' paid is what's on most of these guys minds..

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gators had a bad night only scratching out a 6-1 win tonight. Down from 19-2 on their last outing.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I don’t know baseball that well, but it seems we need a better swing coach and/or better small ball strategy. I’m thrilled with the trophy, but I wonder if Sully might’ve won 2 or 3 by now with smarter offense in Omaha.

No matter what, UF is partying with the hardware while the nole$ are outside with their sorry faces pressed against the window.
They’re window lickers anyway, so...

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Beat a decent FAU team and got to see 3 young pitchers. Leftwich was really good, Baker looked improved as he actually was able to throw strikes. Mace showed good velocity. Hope the young guys can pitch as well tomorrow against BCC.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Haters and Complainers are gonna hate and complain. Gotta be used to it by now. Even when we win, they find something to complain about instead of enjoying the wins. Oy Vey Por Favor...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Beat a decent FAU team and got to see 3 young pitchers. Leftwich was really good, Baker looked improved as he actually was able to throw strikes. Mace showed good velocity. Hope the young guys can pitch as well tomorrow against BCC.

The GS article only says Leftwich pitched 4.1 innings. How many did the others get in? All freshman? That's impressive. Starting another freshman tonight vs. BCC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.