Taking the Motorcycle Basic Riding Course on Monday

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I have been in 3 wrecks on my bike. It took a while to realize that you have to assume every car on the highway is trying to kill you. Ride in packs. Buy loud pipes. Buy extra lights.

I went over the handle bars at 45 mph in the mountains. Rolled 119 feet 3 inches. I was with a pack of riders. It can happen anywhere at anytime.

The good news is the rider behind me gave me a perfect 10 on my handstand on the handlebars and the landing.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's Tuesday and no update from threat :ugh:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Two full f'ing days and we rode for maybe 30 minutes. Granted we spent several hours on the bikes but most of that time was listening to instructions and sitting in line. If my odometer clicked a mile I'd be shocked. But I AM now an expert at getting on and off the bike. If there's an Olympic event for mounting and dismounting I could go for Gold.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Two full f'ing days and we rode for maybe 30 minutes. Granted we spent several hours on the bikes but most of that time was listening to instructions and sitting in line. If my odometer clicked a mile I'd be shocked. But I AM now an expert at getting on and off the bike. If there's an Olympic event for mounting and dismounting I could go for Gold.

Get a dirt bike. Ride only off road....unless you have a death wish.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Get a dirt bike. Ride only off road....unless you have a death wish.

Getting away from the cars filled with oblivious drivers is certainly an improvement, but there’s still some risk. I know a guy who’s spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair following a dirt bike accident. He was wearing all the appropriate safety gear, but I suspect beers were involved.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but too many kids out there think they’re invincible, until they’re not.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Getting away from the cars filled with oblivious drivers is certainly an improvement, but there’s still some risk. I know a guy who’s spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair following a dirt bike accident. He was wearing all the appropriate safety gear, but I suspect beers were involved.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but too many kids out there think they’re invincible, until they’re not.
The nice thing about not being a kid is I know how much it hurts to break something. Not to mention the pain of recovery. Dirt bike may yet be my thing. I enjoyed the hell out of it when I was a kid and I don't trust drivers on the road.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
The nice thing about not being a kid is I know how much it hurts to break something. Not to mention the pain of recovery. Dirt bike may yet be my thing. I enjoyed the hell out of it when I was a kid and I don't trust drivers on the road.

I said “kid,” but he was about 30 when it happened.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Loved my bike, looking to restore an airhead if anyone has a line on it. I have been t-boned and side swiped. The only thing I would say is dont skimp on gear, and for god sakes wear it. Always assume the worst when approaching intersections and turn areas. Never get comfortable on the bike, it will kill you. It actually has made me a better driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator