Taking your car to the Dealer for service?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This video is a little long but if you're bored you might find it a little entertaining to say the least....The Hood Rat who worked at the Dealership actually picked people up and let them drive the car....and he took it out 5 or 6 times for joyrides in the half day it was there.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
WOW, I don't trust the dealer to do good work at a reasonable price. Fortunately around here we have independent folks who do that.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had that happen 20 years ago with a Porsche 911 that I dropped off at a private shop on an extended July 4th weekend to replace a power steering pump. I determined that it happened through multiple sources.

When I went to pick up the car at the shop the following business day, it had rock chips on the front end that were new. I walked up to the owner, stuck a hand held recorder in his face and proceeded to interrogate the dude. I all but read the idiot the riot act.

I got my car and the keys without paying the bill.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Dude went to the local news and social media...Jalobnik. He wants the dealer to replace his clutch and brakes....Dealer said they fired the tech and refunded his money for the alignment…. Basically telling him to go pound sand.
I don't know about everyone else reading this but I'm 6'3" 250# and look half bat sh!t crazy to begin with.....I'm also very good at striking up conversations with random people(customers) while walking through someone's showroom or service waiting area.....and I also refuse to leave until I get what I want......

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Being in the biz since 1981 when you sign a RO you basically give them carte blanche to do with car as they please and they're not responsible for any damage.... Read the fine print. Most states including Florida have requirements on what has to be stated on a RO to get and renew a motor vehicle repair shop permit .

That said, Unless the owner of car is a known problem customer or a total douche, The dealer should've made the car right. Some dealers I've worked at would fire you for simply playing with the radio, The service writer would turn them off in service lane, Unless the radio was the reason it was there.

Also note that the vast majority of techs will disconnect or cover any dashcam

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Being in the biz since 1981 when you sign a RO you basically give them carte blanche to do with car as they please and they're not responsible for any damage.... Read the fine print. Most states including Florida have requirements on what has to be stated on a RO to get and renew a motor vehicle repair shop permit .

That said, Unless the owner of car is a known problem customer or a total douche, The dealer should've made the car right. Some dealers I've worked at would fire you for simply playing with the radio, The service writer would turn them off in service lane, Unless the radio was the reason it was there.

Also note that the vast majority of techs will disconnect or cover any dashcam
You realize the Tech, who is now fired btw and his "guest" were doing between 75-79MPH on GPS in a residential neighborhood with posted 25MPH speed limits multiple times....between parked cars with pedestrians in plain view? I would OWN that dealership if that had been my Mustang or worse yet my Shelby....I would have also waited until closing time and offered to take the Tech out "clubbing"...You Tubers have been arrested for being in videos that weren't as bad as that.
If anyone EVER turns my camera off they will wish they hadn't and are told so on check in. These clowns and dealers in general are why I only take my cars to dealers if it's a warranty issue....

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Yes I do realize what the idiot did, Was just pointing out the "Fine print" nobody ever reads on a repair order. I probably should've rephrased it but basically if they wreck it you signed a release for them to drive it, Can a decent lawyer beat it, Sure but at what cost? A reputable shop would make it right, Or at least try to. That's what they pay insurance premiums for. Same goes for theft of vehicle or contents.

I watched the guy across the aisle from me do a full shop burnout after putting a brand new transmission in a Camaro many moons ago, pretty much drifted it out of his bay and out the door.... Also watched him load his tools that same day.

The techs who disconnect the dash cams will simply refuse to work on your car... Nothing personal just fact. I myself won't disconnect them, To the contrary if I see one I like I note the brand and model to check out later.

Last time my Jeep went to dealer was for a recall, And even then they didn't flip the hood latches closed.... It's not like you can't see them from the driver's seat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.