Talent level for next year: Grade it

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
10 plus kids may be pushed out.

Let's see as of today:

1. UF has 90 players who either signed in the early period or have eligibility to return next fall.

2. UF has only signed 9 players in the early signing period and if UF does not want a oompletely empty class the unbalances the roster going forward UF is likely to sign 5+ players in the late period.

3. The scholarship limit is 85.

So yes 10 plus kids will leave of their own accord or be pushed out the door to get to 85. The rest of it was just noise.

Losers of unimportant bowl games always here stories of lax practices and partying players. (Some such stories might even be true.) Many for some reason unknown to me like to classlessly piss on the staff going out the door. None of those alledged behaviors caused UF players to slip all over the place in the game, but perhaps in another mixed wrist play sheets type fiasco UF was playing in the wrong cleats. (UCF did not seem to slip and give up or miss big plays.) None of those alledged behaviors caused UF DBs to once again dive at ankles completely missing tackles at the line of scrimmage leading to 50 yard runs. None of those behaviors led to UF passing more than running when averaging more yards per play running.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see as of today:

1. UF has 90 players who either signed in the early period or have eligibility to return next fall.

2. UF has only signed 9 players in the early signing period and if UF does not want a oompletely empty class the unbalances the roster going forward UF is likely to sign 5+ players in the late period.

So yes 10 plus kids will leave of their own accord or be pushed out the door to get to 85. The rest of it was just noise.

Losers of unimportant bowl games always here stories of lax practices and partying players. (Some such stories might even be true.) Many for some reason unknown to me like to classlessly piss on the staff going out the door. None of those alledged behaviors caused UF players to slip all over the place in the game, but perhaps in another mixed wrist play sheets type fiasco UF was playing in the wrong cleats. (UCF did not seem to slip and give up or miss big plays.) None of those alledged behaviors caused UF DBs to once again dive at ankles completely missing tackles at the line of scrimmage leading to 50 yard runs. None of those behaviors led to UF passing more than running when averaging more yards per play running.

I just saw a scholarship chart by De La Torre. 76 kids on scholarship right now for next year.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I just saw a scholarship chart by De La Torre. 76 kids on scholarship right now for next year.

As I said, UF currently has 90 players who have eligibility who COULD return next year. The beat writers are all following UF's lead and pretending some of these players do not exist. (This is pretty much how every program played the NCAA's stupid free covid year. and beat writers always play along.)

Some of these players with remaining eligiblity won't come back potentially even some that would want to. That is what guys being pushed out of the program means. Others will come back. For example all the beat writers pretended Miller could not come back, but now he is according to him.

But heck you guys follow the beat writers the scribes of the gospels if you want.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You are welcome to follow me if you want. BTW, my track record is more like 100%, but then you know that.
Like when you asserted the UAA was pressuring me to make the board more optimistic? That’s right up there with believing the moon landing was fake.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I said, UF currently has 90 players who have eligibility who COULD return next year. The beat writers are all following UF's lead and pretending some of these players do not exist. (This is pretty much how every program played the NCAA's stupid free covid year. and beat writers always play along.)

Some of these players with remaining eligiblity won't come back potentially even some that would want to. That is what guys being pushed out of the program means. Others will come back. For example all the beat writers pretended Miller could not come back, but now he is according to him.

But heck you guys follow the beat writers the scribes of the gospels if you want.

here’s his chart. Tell me the 15 scholarship players missing.

upload_2021-12-28_5-13-19.png

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
here’s his chart. Tell me the 15 scholarship players missing.

Because of the free covid year the following players could come back and play at least one more season for UF:

RB: Davis, Pierce
WR: J. Pouncey
TE: Gamble
DE: Carter
LB: Brunson, Burney, Miller (He now has Miller because Miller announced he is coming back. He nor any of the beat writers did previously.)
DB: Dean

That is 9 guys, or 8 if you want to pretend Miller is different than the other 8.

He has also removed from his list guys who have said they are in the transfer portal. Most years I would have removed them too at this point unless UF were actively trying to get them to stay. They can stay until they enroll at other school. There is nothing binding about saying they are in the portal or naming a school and I doubt anyone has yet attended class at another school. So those players he is missing are:

WR: Copeland
OL: Mincey
DL: Bogle, Summerall, Zander
LB: Diabate

So that is 15 players. He has Miller who he previously pretended could not come back and have eligibility next fall. So 76 + the 14 he is ignoring is the 90 guys currently who could play for UF this fall making 90.

BTW, I ignored Blades who claims he is in the portal but who I think has no eligibility left. Maybe I am wrong about that and he was able to redshirt fall 2021 or something.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Let's see as of today:

185865.jpg

Defense played good first half. Worn out the second half due to no depth and offense sucked. 4 practices. It was a clusterfuchs. Read the room.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Defense played good first half. Worn out the second half due to no depth and offense sucked. 4 practices. It was a clusterfuchs. Read the room.

Blah, blah, blah, sure excuse making loser. Practicing your loser excuses for next fall might help you through it.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Because of the free covid year the following players could come back and play at least one more season for UF:

RB: Davis, Pierce
WR: J. Pouncey
TE: Gamble
DE: Carter
LB: Brunson, Burney, Miller (He now has Miller because Miller announced he is coming back. He nor any of the beat writers did previously.)
DB: Dean

... << snip snip >>

So the Nick de la Torre count was 74 scholarship players after all announced intent-to-transfers, except E.J. for some reason. I think EJ is going, so 73. I'm not sure if V-Miller's happy return counts as 5th year or is a COVID bonus, but we'll leave it as counting as NdlT has it. If anybody else on the Davis, Pierce ...to Dean list returns they'd be COVID freebies vs the limits, per my understanding. So 85 scholarships less 73 committed leaves 12 available.

If the annual number of counters is 28 ... not sure on that ... and we've signed 9 with ESD, we have 19 (or so) available to spend. But only 12 scholarships, so the extra available counters are un-spendable and irrelevant.

Thus it appears that CBN & his army can add 12 more players through H.S. signings and/or the portal this year, if they chose (and are able) to fill all the possible seats this year. (And nobody else leaves.)

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding any of this.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So the Nick de la Torre count was 74 scholarship players after all announced intent-to-transfers, except E.J. for some reason. I think EJ is going, so 73. I'm not sure if V-Miller's happy return counts as 5th year or is a COVID bonus, but we'll leave it as counting as NdlT has it. If anybody else on the Davis, Pierce ...to Dean list returns they'd be COVID freebies vs the limits, per my understanding. So 85 scholarships less 73 committed leaves 12 available.

If the annual number of counters is 28 ... not sure on that ... and we've signed 9 with ESD, we have 19 (or so) available to spend. But only 12 scholarships, so the extra available counters are un-spendable and irrelevant.

Thus it appears that CBN & his army can add 12 more players through H.S. signings and/or the portal this year, if they chose (and are able) to fill all the possible seats this year. (And nobody else leaves.)

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding any of this.

Here is what I know and think:

1. The scholarship total limit is still 85 scholarshp players.

2. You are right that for the 2021 season the NCAA exempted players playing their 5th season did not count against the 85 limit.

3. I am not sure whether or not the the exemption from the 85 limit last year only was for guys staying from your own program, ie Wells or if transfers also had that exemption, ie Valentino. I believe it was only players staying in the program, ie Wells.

4. I have not yet heard that there will be such an exemption this year, but you are right if there is such an exemption V. Miller will not count against the 85 limit. I have read the NCAA said they were not going to grant such an exemption and it was up to the schools to work this out. We shall see what happens now that the pressure is on.

5. So if no other player other than V. Miller comes back for a 5th year or the 5th year guys who do come back get a blanket exemption from the 85 limit and everyone who says he is in the transfer portal leaves, then UF can currently take 11 or 12 more high school guys and 4 more transfers. But more guys will leave. One guy that everyone still has on the roster is Elam. That is probably pretty unlikely to be true in the fall of 2022, but until he says he is going there is no reason to assume he is. (This is the off season and their will be lots of roster changes, no reason take people off and then have to add them back in or vice versa. I saw a tweet from an ex-players with a picture of Shorter saying the guy next to him, Elam, should do the same thing. We shall see, I still see Elam listed in the first round of mock drafts, but who knows how good such mocks are.)

6. Enough guys will probably volutarily leave or UF can force some guys out so that UF can probably sign another 16 high school guys if they could get 16 they like to come. I do not expect either the 25 player limit nor the 85 player limit to be binding on UF this year. (I did not have Jack Miller on my list yet because a transfer is not bound to a school until he attends class. Jack Miller certainly sounds like he is coming, but you never know. Still he would count on the 85 limit too.)

7. I know that you can not take less than 5 transfers and take those opennings for signees over the 25 initial scholarship limit. I have not seen it written anyplace whether if you take under 25 high school signees you can take more transfers up to the 30 total limt. Plus there is some counting back one can do in various years.

So you were basically correct except that the number UF can sign late today is not likely to be the final number available on national signing day.

Last edited:

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
This. Between Dexter, Watson, Princely, Sapp, Lee and several others, our front 4(as an example) is littered with 4-5* players that everyone wanted.

Same with the secondary, and that’s not even counting incoming kids. Torrence was great this year and will thrive with better coaching. Marshall as well.

Not breaking down the whole roster, but those are two areas we looked awful at times this season, and it isn’t about the bodies themselves.

Thin I’m some spots, undersized in others. But this roster isn’t incapable of being fine under the right direction.

This. Our DL next year should be the best we've fielded in years. McElwain didn't recruit DL well, and Mullen didn't recruit it well his first year with Sunseri as DL coach. However, the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes after that have for the most part repaired the damage from consecutive years of whiffing badly at DL recruiting. It also looks like Napier has made the DL a priority this transition class, so we shouldn't have a massive hole there in the future.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Ah, the lengths that people will go on chatter to prove they are right without a shadow of doubt! That's why I love this place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb