Tebow's "promise" speech turns 10 today

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Time flies when you're having fun. All I know is our Gators reeled off 22 straight wins by an average score of 41-11 after he made this speech.

Discuss.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I had a good feeling about this game. On our walk to the stadium we passed Lake Alice and saw gator rise out of the water. I thought that's a good sign.

Then ole Piss scores to take the lead in the 4th quarter and my wife says can we go. I said no, we'll win. The Gators then score to seemingly tie it. Then Gators miss the extra point. She said can we go. I said no we will win. Gators get the ball back and Tebow is stuffed on that infamous 4th down. She said, told you. So my wife jinxed the Gators, but I guess without that we'd never would have had the famous promise and national championship to follow. :lol:

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow should still be here. He missed classes during that Heisman hoopla stretch. Then there was that concussion that he could not have studied or learned anything. UF has to run an honorable program and the sound of the name Tebow has that ring of honor.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure how this ever got labeled a speech. It wasn't at all prepared. It came pouring from his heart. It was all about accountability, something that Tebow was very good at naturally.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My brother had one weekend off before his redeployment to Iraq, so his wedding was that day. Got to watch the first half, and had to run to the venue with the future Mrs Dougie in tow. I have one cousin who went to Ole Miss her and her husband were with us in the elevator (in Gainesville) as we were heading to help the wedding parties when we were informed Ole Miss was leading. We found out after the ceremony that we lost. Saw the promise from the hotel bar at the reception, as my table was making "drink runs" to catch up on all the information we could.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The 12:00, Jefferson Pilot kickoff had all the earmarks of a bad afternoon.

Watched the game at my new in-laws, and while I was a surprised at how we lost, it just had a bad feel from the start. I can still hear Dave Neal(sp?) on the final call. Brutal. Don't think I caught the Tebow speech until the next day. I had no idea the impact it would have on that season. We need more of that mentality.

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
I witnessed Promise II...around 25k bodies in the stadium generated 100k revelry. Goosebump Priceless Moment 'twas...

TimTebowComeBack.gif

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Oh boy, the memories that this brings are priceless!
I didn't watch that game. Some friends and I were participating in a local basketball tournament. While coming home from the tournament, I caught the very tail end of the game on radio. I was riding with a Nole and a Cane. And they were giving me the business because I had been bragging about how this team wouldn't lose a game. Once I got home I saw the post game declaration. The first thought that came to my mind was, "Easy for him to say." The national media reacted like he had said something prophetic, but I saw it differently. When you look at how much talent was on that team, I think it's easy to say what Timmy said. That team, along with(I believe) the '00 Hurricanes are easily the most talented teams I've ever seen. Tim knew no one else could beat this team. They went on to win every remaining game by double digits. The closest of which, was a 10 point differential in the National Championship game. I was more surprised that they lost, than I was that Tebow made that declaration. That was the easy part.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Oh boy, the memories that this brings are priceless!
I didn't watch that game. Some friends and I were participating in a local basketball tournament. While coming home from the tournament, I caught the very tail end of the game on radio. I was riding with a Nole and a Cane. And they were giving me the business because I had been bragging about how this team wouldn't lose a game. Once I got home I saw the post game declaration. The first thought that came to my mind was, "Easy for him to say." The national media reacted like he had said something prophetic, but I saw it differently. When you look at how much talent was on that team, I think it's easy to say what Timmy said. That team, along with(I believe) the '00 Hurricanes are easily the most talented teams I've ever seen. Tim knew no one else could beat this team. They went on to win every remaining game by double digits. The closest of which, was a 10 point differential in the National Championship game. I was more surprised that they lost, than I was that Tebow made that declaration. That was the easy part.

Yep, winning the national title was the easy part.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
The 12:00, Jefferson Pilot kickoff had all the earmarks of a bad afternoon.

Watched the game at my new in-laws, and while I was a surprised at how we lost, it just had a bad feel from the start. I can still hear Dave Neal(sp?) on the final call. Brutal. Don't think I caught the Tebow speech until the next day. I had no idea the impact it would have on that season. We need more of that mentality.

Yes, I too had a bad feeling about that game even before it started. Just one of those weird days. I remember we had just moved into our new house and were waiting for a delivery of furniture all day. It arrived just as the 4th down play was happening when Tebow was stuffed at the line of scrimmage. To make it worse, the delivery guys were both Gator haters. :gah:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Never has a loss been so beneficial to the team and to Gator history. Perhaps as Tim usually believes it was all part of the "plan" for his life. He has a new book, and is going to continue his baseball career. I saw him on TV the other day. If he ever wants to coach football I hope a spot will be his with the Gators.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The point of Tim's speech = Tim's point, was in reference to Ole Miss sneaking a win from us. Tim was promising UF fans that he & his teammates are not going to be taking a win as "in the bag" ever again. Also, he apologized for losing our undefeated season = UF's first ever. There were teams yet to face who could sneak out a win over Florida just like Ole Miss did. Tim always thinks different from the typical.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Time flies when you're having fun. All I know is our Gators reeled off 22 straight wins by an average score of 41-11 after he made this speech.

Discuss.

I figured Franks would've delivered a similar post-game inspirational speech after the Kentucky game. LOL

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Discuss.

No one can deny the dominance of that team, every win was 10 points or higher, and we practically handed Ole Miss the one point loss. That '08 team is definitely in the argument of one of the best all-time college teams.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yes, I too had a bad feeling about that game even before it started. Just one of those weird days. I remember we had just moved into our new house and were waiting for a delivery of furniture all day. It arrived just as the 4th down play was happening when Tebow was stuffed at the line of scrimmage. To make it worse, the delivery guys were both Gator haters. :gah:

I would've refused delivery and sent the furniture back. You don't need that in your life.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I took a ration of sh*t from a lot of friends over the Ole Miss loss that year. Bet a couple of them various amounts of money after the LSU game saying we wouldn't lose another game the rest of the year. Collecting that money was the best. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.