Gator Basketball Tell us what you like about Mike White

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
I prefer a deeper run over an arbitrary win number. I also like Elite 8 but a Sweet 16 keeps us moving in the right direction.

I would add to this with "passing the eye test". While it doesn't have to mean playing faster (though I suspect that it will, given more depth and more scorers), it does mean executing better, passing the the ball more, not missing so many layups, more cuts to the basket, and hopefully a few more transition baskets. Basically, at a minimum, taking what the defense is giving us, and imposing our preferred style of play offensively whenever possible.

And to continue to play strong defense, which I'd like to think is a given.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I would add to this with "passing the eye test". While it doesn't have to mean playing faster (though I suspect that it will, given more depth and more scorers), it does mean executing better, passing the the ball more, not missing so many layups, more cuts to the basket, and hopefully a few more transition baskets. Basically, at a minimum, taking what the defense is giving us, and imposing our preferred style of play offensively whenever possible.

And to continue to play strong defense, which I'd like to think is a given.

Well stated.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I prefer a deeper run over an arbitrary win number. I also like Elite 8 but a Sweet 16 keeps us moving in the right direction.
Yeah. There's zero chance he gets fired after a sweet 16. Zero.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
And drastically limiting the number of times during the game where you run the shot clock down so far you have to jack up a bad shot at the buzzer. Just as bad as a turnover.

I wonder if anyone tracks that percentage?

Even as I understand the need for this team to control tempo my perception was that we run the clock down to 5 seconds or more far more than we do.

Against Michigan which was a very slow game in general it felt like at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the 63 possessions. I charted it though and it was just 9 possessions or 1/7th. We shot before 10 seconds 42 times or 2/3rd. 12 times between 6-9 seconds.

My perception was far different from reality.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Good analysis, but incomplete. We lost a player to concussions, another to bad knees, and a third to injury. I hope the style of play changed because of the talents and abilities of the players. I seem to remember full court press being effective, can't remember much this year. And two seniors regressing early in the year and late as well. Those two should have been improving their shooting, etc. without any coaching.

Billy had some of the same types of issues, perhaps after the NBA season he could come home and do some consulting.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
It's interesting to compare the 1st 4 years of Mike White & Billy Donovan at Florida. Donovan was 78-49 (.614), White 89-53 (.627). Donovan had losing records his 1st 2 years (13-17 & 14-15), but then went 22-9 and got his team to the Sweet 16, followed by 29-8 and was National Runner-Up his 4th year. White won over 20 games each of his 1st 4 years, making the NIT quarterfinals his 1st year, the Elite 8 his 2nd year and the NCAA Round of 32 his 3rd and 4th years. Fairly similar, and it will be interesting to see how White does from year 5 on and whether or not he can build the level of sustained success that Donovan did.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but it looks like a pretty fair analysis.

Why it's not time to give up on Gators head coach Mike White just yet - Read and Reaction

I thought White did a very good job developing Chiozza and Hill, but I’m not a basketball guy.

Really good analysis, Theo -- thanks. Contains more pluses than minuses for White. As of now, flips me to "glad we have him". But he still requires a critical eye applied to these worrisome areas =
1) lack of big men in #s and in development {that relies on the results of his assistant coach.]
2) balanced offense with "should-be" excellent youths
3) need speedier attack, ball movement to cause opposing defenses to lag-chase.
4) faster dribblers, speedier passing
5) more in-game reminder shouts from sideline-Mike { youngsters need reminders to assure them]
6) focus on & useful time-outs to preserve lead-score gaps
7) few turnovers, more rebounds
8) Of course = everybody is healed from prior injury and no new injuries.

^^^ -- All this can only be achieved through practicing 1) thru 7) - pounding those styles home. Maybe White's 2019 youngsters can infuse White with more pep-participation.? We will again be facing teams taller than us. Here's hoping for play excitingly fun to watch. Go Gators. Go White.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Really good analysis, Theo -- thanks. Contains more pluses than minuses for White. As of now, flips me to "glad we have him". But he still requires a critical eye applied to these worrisome areas =
1) lack of big men in #s and in development {that relies on the results of his assistant coach.]
2) balanced offense with "should-be" excellent youths
3) need speedier attack, ball movement to cause opposing defenses to lag-chase.
4) faster dribblers, speedier passing
5) more in-game reminder shouts from sideline-Mike { youngsters need reminders to assure them]
6) focus on & useful time-outs to preserve lead-score gaps
7) few turnovers, more rebounds
8) Of course = everybody is healed from prior injury and no new injuries.

^^^ -- All this can only be achieved through practicing 1) thru 7) - pounding those styles home. Maybe White's 2019 youngsters can infuse White with more pep-participation.? We will again be facing teams taller than us. Here's hoping for play excitingly fun to watch. Go Gators. Go White.

From my limited view, one fundamental even I know is that a big man must not pull the ball down to his waist to gather himself for a layup or dunk. Our bigs do that all the time and it gives the defenders a split second to get in position for a block and smaller guys can get at the ball when it’s low.

I’m taking in your critique. I wonder if the pace was slowed because these guys weren’t good at finishing. How many layups did we miss this year? Early in the season he was surprised by their offensive ineptitude, so try to get them to do what they do well and win that way?

I do like White’s demeanor, work ethic and so forth. He hits the right notes with me as a professional and leader, so I’m inclined to expect he can and will improve himself and his team.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure if this has been posted yet, but it looks like a pretty fair analysis.

Why it's not time to give up on Gators head coach Mike White just yet - Read and Reaction

I thought White did a very good job developing Chiozza and Hill, but I’m not a basketball guy.
The writer thinks it's apples to apples when it's really apples to pineapples.

Lon Kruger deserves a medal for even taking the job let alone making the 1994 FF with a ragtag team barely more talented than the one that just got pasted by Michigan in the Round of 32. Andrew DeClercq and Da Meat Hook as your big men? Are you kidding me?

Donovan is Donovan. The program no sooner got traction than it dumped again. Enter Donovan starting from scratch. We were in the FF in his fourth season.

No, we're not an elite basketball school, never will be, but you can't tell me that Kruger or Donovan were in better positions to succeed than White when he took the reins in 2015 with Florida having enjoyed three FF appearances and a pair of titles in the previous nine. That's some cred.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So right, Theo. That pull-it-down Big-man stupidity was even on display with 7'6" Taco Fall.
I'd like our inside rebounders to have daily sessions wearing those video goggles watching a closed looped film of a guy bringing the rebound or high-pass down and it getting taken or tied up, then a huge white X flashing over the screen. Hypno-relax watching that over & over & over. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.