Tesla Cybertruck

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And that heft will absolutely NEGATIVELY affect range.

However, for price point, ground clearance and 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, it is VERY impressive.
Remind me the last time Tesla didn't over promise and under perform?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You would think that with a truck, they could fit way more battery, thus battery life in those things, just because of basic design...A truck should be able to run circles around the cars.
the catch 22 is more battery equals more weight.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the catch 22 is more battery equals more weight.
Yes, but we should be at a technological point where the added power/life should overcome the weight...and of course there are other ways to save weight.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yes, but we should be at a technological point where the added power/life should overcome the weight...and of course there are other ways to save weight.
Yes, that is the sane idea but rocket man went the other way and put 10,000 lbs of cold rolled stainless steel, as an exoskeleton, on the outside so that sledgehammer wielding hordes are impervious to your daily 200 mile commute.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, that is the sane idea but rocket man went the other way and put 10,000 lbs of cold rolled stainless steel, as an exoskeleton, on the outside so that sledgehammer wielding hordes are impervious to your daily 200 mile commute.
Well, with those Antifa douchebags roaming around these days, one cannot be too safe :grin:

:lol:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I really haven't paid any attention to this stupidity. does that thing really weigh 10000 pounds?

is it meant to be more like a tractor trailer? I guess very short trip tractor trailer?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I really haven't paid any attention to this stupidity. does that thing really weigh 10000 pounds?

is it meant to be more like a tractor trailer? I guess very short trip tractor trailer?
He hasn't released those figures but my guestimation is probably very close.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It looks like a future car rendering from 1971.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So much over thought without regards to functionality.....Let me drive around looking for a place to recharge and God forbid I should want to tow my 25ft. Center console offshore boat from Orlando to Port Canaveral without worrying about leaving both on the side of the road somewhere in between.

Donkey nailed it when he said they should have built a small diesel with electric torque assist/hybrid....

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The more I see this thing, the uglier it gets.
It's just like t-gators mom
:lol:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
So much over thought without regards to functionality.....Let me drive around looking for a place to recharge and God forbid I should want to tow my 25ft. Center console offshore boat from Orlando to Port Canaveral without worrying about leaving both on the side of the road somewhere in between.

Donkey nailed it when he said they should have built a small diesel with electric torque assist/hybrid....
That’s what Dr. Porsche’s original design was for the Tiger I tank... in WW II.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's absolutely hideous. I agree that it's a missed opportunity.

They simply still aren't practical. Even if you are able to get as many miles on a charge as a full tank of gas (which they can't yet), the difference is in a gas truck you can fill up in less than 10 minutes at a gas station and off you go for another 500+ miles. You are looking at hours of charging to get back to full capacity on an electric vehicle once the battery is depleted.

As of now, hybrids are a much more practical solution that make sense. We are still many years away from plug-in vehicles making sense on a mass scale.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I passed 4 Tesla’s on I-10 yesterday in my Raptor... and I drove right on past the Busy Bee with 170 “miles to empty”

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Load that ecoboost with a 10K trailer and that 22 mpg goes to about 7. Couple of friends have them. But yes they do run well.
My 8.1 gets 9-12 empty or full.
TFL truck did the "Ike Challenge" with the Tesla SUV (not pickup)... It's on youtube.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Don't know if weight matters if performance is there. I read it's 1000lbs heavier than a F-150.
I'm no EV fan. But I've driven a friend's Model 3. Having no transmission, it is weird to not feel any shifting. Which is a good thing. Acceleration is... ludicrous. And charging is less of an issue than you'd think. It's not hours to charge - 20 minutes for a full charge. After 4-5 hours of cross country driving, a 20 minute pit stop isn't that inconvenient.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Tesla's are equipped with charging stations identified in the mapping system. There's no searching for a charging station

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't know if weight matters if performance is there. I read it's 1000lbs heavier than a F-150.
I'm no EV fan. But I've driven a friend's Model 3. Having no transmission, it is weird to not feel any shifting. Which is a good thing. Acceleration is... ludicrous. And charging is less of an issue than you'd think. It's not hours to charge - 20 minutes for a full charge. After 4-5 hours of cross country driving, a 20 minute pit stop isn't that inconvenient.
That assumes you hit the right charging stations though. They aren't all that fast

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.