Test Drive

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My 19-year-old son and I both love cars. It's a mutual addiction. Our best times together are spent out kicking around dealerships on weekend afternoons, looking at cars, shooting the shyt with the salesmen and occasionally taking one of them out for a test drive.

So we stopped in at Maserati of St. Petersburg yesterday afternoon. They had a low-miles 2012 GranTurismo S of casual interest, white with black wheels and lots of carbon fiber. 443 hp, 376 lbs of torque, nicely appointed, a gorgeous rig begging a test drive.

I hadn't even put the car in reverse when the sales associate was warning me to avoid scraping the curb while I backed out. There was a center island in the road leaving the dealer lot. He warned me of that, too. The guy was getting on my nerves. So I decided to take matters into hand. :lol:

We got on a long, desolate stretch of road behind the dealership and I jumped the pedal. Plenty of giddyup. We were at 130 and climbing when the guy started begging me to back off the pedal. My son was in the backseat going, "He usually likes to take it up to 170." I finally let off at 145. I had to scrape his limp body off the headliner.

No complaints the rest of the way back to the lot. :lol:

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My 19-year-old son and I both love cars. It's a mutual addiction. Our best times together are spent out kicking around dealerships on weekend afternoons, looking at cars, shooting the shyt with the salesmen and occasionally taking one of them out for a test drive.

So we stopped in at Maserati of St. Petersburg yesterday afternoon. They had a low-miles 2012 GranTurismo S of casual interest, white with black wheels and lots of carbon fiber. 443 hp, 376 lbs of torque, nicely appointed, a gorgeous rig begging a test drive.

I hadn't even put the car in reverse when the sales associate was warning me to avoid scraping the curb while I backed out. There was a center island in the road leaving the dealer lot. He warned me of that, too. The guy was getting on my nerves. So I decided to take matters into hand. :lol:

We got on a long, desolate stretch of road behind the dealership and I jumped the pedal. Plenty of giddyup. We were at 130 and climbing when the guy started begging me to back off the pedal. My son was in the backseat going, "He usually likes to take it up to 170." I finally let off at 145. I had to scrape his limp body off the headliner.

:bwahaha:

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015

Great way to teach a 19 year old responsibility - not.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What was the price point?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
72k out of warranty. Not worth the risk. I was more curious about the car than anything.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't go for it. I heard they let customers drive the cars illegally and improperly.
I'm sure you have never exceeded the speed limit or rolled a stop sign in your life.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
I'm sure you have never exceeded the speed limit or rolled a stop sign in your life.

Sure -- but I've never done 140+ on a city street.

I've gone 118 on the Autobahn but, since I only had an Opel, that was right lane speed and I couldn't go any faster. That's not that fast for the Autobahn but, even at that speed, you have to be looking way ahead.

The best places to clean the carbon off your plugs locally are airport runways. Pick an airport without a tower and get to know the airport manager.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I've gone 118 on the Autobahn but, since I only had an Opel, that was right lane speed and I couldn't go any faster. That's not that fast for the Autobahn but, even at that speed, you have to be looking way ahead.

The best places to clean the carbon off your plugs locally are airport runways. Pick an airport without a tower and get to know the airport manager.

118 on the Autobahn is only 73 mph.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here you go, PIF, the source of the crime. You can drive it 45 mph in the city all day.

BTW, might need to disable your ad blocker.

zam45kla3c0060664-1.jpg

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

It was a TEST DRIVE for crying out loud. Was he supposed to ask permission to go race it at the track too?

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
It was a TEST DRIVE for crying out loud. Was he supposed to ask permission to go race it at the track too?

Stopping distance at 145 mph including reaction time is 1,193 feet. Do you think a child crossing the street is going to be looking close to 1/4 mile to check for oncoming traffic.

Do you think the driver can see that far ahead to see if there is anything that might be a problem?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Oh great. PIF now has me going 145 through a residential neighborhood with kids, baby strollers and lemonade stands lining the street. :lol: Dude, where did I intimate in the OP that I was driving anywhere near children? There was an empty field on the right and a few industrial warehouses on the left, well off the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.