Test Drive

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I was 24 and a few years out of UF. Couldn't find work in my field, so I was gophering at Brumos Porsche in Jax. I'd wash cars and run dealer trades and occasionally go downtown to work on Peter Gregg's 935 race car in the warehouse. The pay was jack shyt, but who cared? You were always behind the wheel of a brand new Porsche.

They had me drive an Audi down to Pompano Beach and pick up a 911 for Reeves Porsche in Tampa, whereupon I was to pick up another 911 and head back to Jax. I spent the first night in a hotel in Pompano.

I decided to cross the state to Tampa rather than take the turnpike. I was on two-lane SR 710 outside Indiantown tooling along at around 130 when I came upon a tractor trailer. No biggie, I thought, there's no oncoming traffic and I'll just sling shot past him.

For whatever reason, the truck veered into the center lane as I was committing to pass. Too late. I was too far in. I ran off onto the shoulder on the other side. All the weight is in the rear of a 911 because it's rear engine. The car was fish tailing like crazy and it was all happening so fast. I remembered what one of the guys at Brumos had told me. When the back end gets loose, never hit the brakes or you're dead. Bang the gas.

I hit the gas and sailed past the truck. At that point, my heart was lodged in my small intestine.

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Splitting lanes on a bike is completely legal out here in Kalifornia and very commonplace.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Very weird . :eek3:

"California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator