Test Drive

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Oh great. PIF now has me going 145 through a residential neighborhood with kids, baby strollers and lemonade stands lining the street. :lol: Dude, where did I intimate in the OP that I was driving anywhere near children? There was an empty field on the right and a few industrial warehouses on the left, well off the road.

Why are you responding to him? His ridiculosity is endless.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why are you responding to him? His ridiculosity is endless.

I like PIF. He amuses me. Every once in awhile, he's even hilarious.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
FOD (foreign object debris) is a big concern at airports and runways will be closed until it can be cleared if a pilot reports seeing it. It doesn't take a big object to cause immediate tire damage at high speed.

But no need to belabor this -- I suspect I'm a bit older than some of you folks and either have a lower testosterone level and/or less desire to take on risky endeavors.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get it. I had a motorcycle as a student at UF. I used to take it out on two-lane rural roads after class to blow off steam. I remember several times having the thing up over 100 mph. All it would have taken is a deer running out in front of me to change my life trajectory. You wouldn't catch me doing that now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good set of roads to open it up on '78..... Sometimes cut down there after work, just to give the car and Italian Tune-up. I'm sure it was a blast.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
I love motorcycles but gave up riding about 2 years ago. There are just too many people who "pop out" from a side road without looking at all. It is bad enough when you're in a car but if you're riding and have nowhere to go or no time to react, you become a statistic.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I did 180 on my bike, on a road i'd never ridden before thru the Ocala Forrest, nothing happened but I didn't think about doing a test run on it first, pretty scary. it was straight but the yellow dashed line turned solid about 150, the trees off the road were a greenish blur. Those things do 0-70 in first gear, under 2 seconds, and it was a 600. Sorry to hijack the thread. I like going fast too.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I did 180 on my bike, on a road i'd never ridden before thru the Ocala Forrest, nothing happened but I didn't think about doing a test run on it first, pretty scary. it was straight but the yellow dashed line turned solid about 150, the trees off the road were a greenish blur. Those things do 0-70 in first gear, under 2 seconds, and it was a 600. Sorry to hijack the thread. I like going fast too.
Crazy stuff Heavy....funny how speed draws you in. Suddenly you just say f vck it and keep rolling the throttle, or pressing it if you're in a car. As I get older I just don't have the balls for higher speed stuff....however give me an a somewhat empty non residential road with no one else at a stop sign and it's hard to resist a good hard 1st thru 4th pull.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

You must've been on a crotch rocket. I was on a Honda 500. I don't think that thing could go above 110 or 120, but that seemed like flying. I can't imagine 180 on a flipping bike.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
180 in a well tuned sports car is pretty hair raising on your typical highway. Can't imagine doing it on a bike.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I did 165 on my Yamaha Fazer on the way to Daytona from Gainesville one year with somebody's daughter riding bitch. At night. I don't ride anymore...too many crazies out there.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
yeah, suzuki gsxr 600, i regretted settling for the 600 within a week, I really wanted a 1000, just absolutely CRAZY pull on those things. i was young and dumb. we'd routinely run from Gainesville up to the oasis in st. Augustine in 30-40 minutes. 120-150 was nothing out of the ordinary on 206 and 207. speed is more addicting than any drug. I only had one close call (besides my last close call), pizza delivery guy pulled out right in front of me and a buddy riding next to me. luckily we were both on the same page, ducked in to the other lane. pulled up next to the kid at a redlight and slammed the universal #1 against his window. looked like he saw a ghost.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
yeah, suzuki gsxr 600, i regretted settling for the 600 within a week, I really wanted a 1000, just absolutely CRAZY pull on those things. i was young and dumb. we'd routinely run from Gainesville up to the oasis in st. Augustine in 30-40 minutes. 120-150 was nothing out of the ordinary on 206 and 207. speed is more addicting than any drug. I only had one close call (besides my last close call), pizza delivery guy pulled out right in front of me and a buddy riding next to me. luckily we were both on the same page, ducked in to the other lane. pulled up next to the kid at a redlight and slammed the universal #1 against his window. looked like he saw a ghost.
Well, if it wasn't for people like you there would be fewer organ donors, so I guess we have that to thank you for.

I think bikes are damn cool. Just not worth the risk. They also inspire a kind of dumbassery in young men that is mind-blowing. Ever wanted to open your door when some asshat 20-year old on a crotch rocket, who feels invincible in his own mind, tries to blow by you between cars? Yeah, we all have.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
thanks mom.

I never split cars like that. I did during traffic at times, and if a prick ever did open his door on me, he'd be paying for a new window on every one of his doors after my helmet went thru them.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
thanks mom.

I never split cars like that. I did during traffic at times, and if a prick ever did open his door on me, he'd be paying for a new window on every one of his doors after my helmet went thru them.
:burn: :owned:

So you never split cars, and then you did? :crazy: It's extraordinarily obnoxious whether it's at 100 MPH or 5. You call someone who would open their door in that situation a "prick", but isn't that what you're being by spitting cars in the first place?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ox has a point, though. You never see a guy riding a Harley splitting lanes or darting in and out of traffic. It's always some under-25 kid who's in a major hurry to get 30 seconds ahead. I think of what the kid's parents would think if they could see him in the act.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
that's not completely true 78. I rode with a few older "vested" fellas if you catch my drift, that I've known since I was a little kid. they did some crazy stuff that I didn't have the sack for on their HD's. and to be clear when I said traffic, I meant stand still traffic.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
A crotch rocket and an under-25 male is an extremely dangerous thing, both for him and everyone else on the road. It's a miracle any of them survive. I agree that speed is addictive.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
that's not completely true 78. I rode with a few older "vested" fellas if you catch my drift, that I've known since I was a little kid. they did some crazy stuff that I didn't have the sack for on their HD's. and to be clear when I said traffic, I meant stand still traffic.

I'm sure it happens, though it's the exception rather than the rule. The percent of idiotic things you see on a crotch rocket far exceeds that of a Harley, and mainly because of age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb