Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Understand Im not talking about Mullinz getting in the playoffs. That is still well beyond a pipedream.

I just mean the Conference(s) keeping the NCAA from running a playoff, siphoning off the money and destroying CFB all at the same time.

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Watch for a movement to "Break UP The SEC" if this materializes.
Such a call foreshadowed the breakup of the Bell Telephone system.
There was also a demand to break up the New York Yankees, but then
the draft was implemented, or so I seem to recall. Anyway, there is bound
to be some backlash against all of this.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Understand Im not talking about Mullinz getting in the playoffs. That is still well beyond a pipedream.

I just mean the Conference(s) keeping the NCAA from running a playoff, siphoning off the money and destroying CFB all at the same time.

According to the Knight Commission the NCAA gets zip from football.
“Separating the sport of FBS football from the NCAA would end Division I’s financially dysfunctional system of governance, in which the NCAA absorbs all national expenses for FBS football, without receiving any financial benefits from the sport or its College Football Playoff.”

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Interesting. Maybe the PAC and Big 12 fold.

Ive always thought we really NEED four suoerconferences though.

But I guess even two could work.

Two mega conferences of about 20 is perfect. Once you get past the 40th program it starts getting ridiculous.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I also think that this will create a domino effect where resource strapped schools start dropping programs. I would not be surprised in five years that there is at least half as many schools with football programs. Lets face it the participation numbers are down at the youth level. Plus w/o football helps the Title IX issue

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Those UCF ass hats have been very very quiet, makes me wonder, have they been behind this whole thing and will be announcing their move to the Big 12?

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Are we clear on a timeline yet?
OU and Texas must still have existing unfulfilled obligations both to the Big12 and to the Longhorn network...(or does the Longhorn network just re-brand a little?)
are they talking 2022?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014

it’s official
Welcome aboard.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Those UCF ass hats have been very very quiet, makes me wonder, have they been behind this whole thing and will be announcing their move to the Big 12?
Lol... you know the rest of the Big 12 is leaving too, right.

They are quiet because they realized once the Superconferences realignments are done, they are stuck in CUSA 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 forever.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

No I knew that. But my thought is when OU and UT join, with Cousin Eddie I think I will subscribe to Jim Mora's views when he says at the end "I just hope we can win a game"

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
I think we are moving toward 4 superconferences with most of the playoff within the conference.

No way could there be four mega-conferences when roughly half of the relevant teams are already in the SEC, no matter how you define "relevant".

Big XII has nothing left (maybe Okie St if you squint), Pac 10 has maybe two (including USC only due to LA market), Big 10 may have four, ACC has Clemson and maybe some day Miami. Throw in ND and that's about 10 top 20-type teams outside the SEC. No way to compose three additional conferences out of that schlock.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
They would except it sounds like the Big 12 is done. I actually think if they had calmer heads they would take their lumps and face the fact that they are now significantly watered down but not dead. They still have Baylor who just coasted to a BB Chip and has built some FB cache. You still have Baylor, TCU, Ok St, Iowa St, Kansas St and West VA all who have had their level of success in Football. Having 10 teams never made sense anyway so this would be their chance to get back to 12 and be a viable if somewhat lesser conference.

They could get to 12 by adding UCF, Boise St, Houston and Maybe Memphis to get 3 new states of viewers and adding a second major Texas region.

Obviously this wouldn't make up for losing their 2 Gold Standard teams, but it would be viable BCS sports conference and give them a base to build on, and at least one team in the expanded 12 team playoff each year.

But unfortunately for the have-nots, some of the teams are already looking to bail so it looks like it's too late to salvage it unless some complete reversal happens and either or TX or OK change their mind.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No way could there be four mega-conferences when roughly half of the relevant teams are already in the SEC, no matter how you define "relevant".
Well Id say relevent at the moment includes only Bammer, Clemson and OSU. Ugly, Okie maybe (only bc easy schedule), and LSU have the talent to win it, but not the coach.

When you look at teams Like Texas, Fla, down to Arky, Indiana etc are money, obviously in varying amounts but no threat to win a trophy.

Basically there will be plenty of Ukes, Vandies, Indianas and Oregon States who arent "relevant" in the sense of wont ever win a trophy but are still the schedule fluff neeeded by the elite teams.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
Lol... you know the rest of the Big 12 is leaving too, right.

They are quiet because they realized once the Superconferences realignments are done, they are stuck in CUSA 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 forever.

Y’all I hate to break this to you, but UCF is gonna be one of the prettiest girls at the bar come 2 AM. ACC makes sense and the BIG12 may need to do something extreme to try to stay relevant

Thought Criminal

Lifetime Member
Jul 31, 2018
saw a long and meandering article over the weekend that talked about relegation like the Euros do... winner of the UCF/ND State/CMU battle royale displaces the crappiest team in D1 for some period of time. That gives them something to play for.

Since it's our new landscape and the old ways are gone, two mega-conferences would be cool with six total playoff spots. Winner of each conference gets a bye, teams 2 and 3 get play-in games. Winner of those play-in games face the opposite conference winner on the road, one champion. G5 gets their own championship with winner elevated to conference losing the champ game, worst team in that conference is toast until they earn their way back.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
saw a long and meandering article over the weekend that talked about relegation like the Euros do... winner of the UCF/ND State/CMU battle royale displaces the crappiest team in D1 for some period of time. That gives them something to play for.

Since it's our new landscape and the old ways are gone, two mega-conferences would be cool with six total playoff spots. Winner of each conference gets a bye, teams 2 and 3 get play-in games. Winner of those play-in games face the opposite conference winner on the road, one champion. G5 gets their own championship with winner elevated to conference losing the champ game, worst team in that conference is toast until they earn their way back.
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.