THANK YOU, Veterans!

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Didn't see this posted already, please merge if I missed it...

THANKS to everyone who served or is still serving this great country! There's plenty to be frustrated about, but I've seen first-hand that we continue to bring outstanding patriots into our armed services to eventually replace old farts like me. Im so humbled to witness the dedication of so many who wear our nation's colors and put others before self.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

USCG, 28 years! Holy crap, where did the time go?

P.S. I don't care if I went all caps in the title. This deserves an exception. Any mods or owner changing my title will be dealt with swiftly and painfully.

Ox, now that I've threatened you, please sticky this.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The first time he went in the navy he was just a swabbie !!! an enlisted guy, lying about his age. Said he was 18 but was only 17 when he went in. Apparently lied about his flat feet and that he was a sleep walker too but managed to get in and survive it all.

Married his wife and kept that a secret too, because he was not supposed to be married.

He was on the USS Honalulu at Pearl Harbor, docked right across the water from the Arizona. He was a LT Commander / when he retired from the Navy after 23 years. He was a Navigator by avocation.

4FFCCCEB-0688-4E88-B2AF-06844CA23801.jpeg

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The first time he went in the navy he was just a swabbie !!! an enlisted guy, lying about his age. Said he was 18 but was only 17 when he went in. Apparently lied about his flat feet and that he was a sleep walker too but managed to get in and survive it all.

Married his wife and kept that a secret too, because he was not supposed to be married.

He was on the USS Honalulu at Pearl Harbor, docked right across the water from the Arizona. He was a LT Commander / when he retired from the Navy after 23 years. He was a Navigator by avocation.

Who is this NV?

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
upload_2020-11-11_17-56-59.png

upload_2020-11-11_18-2-6.png
Van D Howell Sr. WWII Army Air Corps in England B-26 gunner and radio operator
5 bombing missions on D Day and 69 bombing missions total during deployment

Born in Nocona Texas, grew up in Ada OK.
Stationed at Drane Field in Lakeland where he met and married my mother before shipping out

He is the one holding the puppy

Much love, respect and appreciation to all who serve

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-11_17-57-26.png
    upload_2020-11-11_17-57-26.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 146

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I ran across this earlier today... very cool article:

The Boy Who Became a World War II Veteran at 13 Years Old
In 1942, Seaman Calvin Graham was decorated for valor in battle. Then his mother learned where he’d been and revealed his secret to the Navy.

The Boy Who Became a World War II Veteran at 13 Years Old | History | Smithsonian Magazine

what an amazing kid. Absolutely embarrassing that we threw him in the brig, stripped his Medals and yanked his disability.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't see this thread. Posted this in the Pf but it should go here too.....

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Very proud of my Marine fight pilot dad. We'd go to air shows and whenever he'd see one of his planes he'd get a smile and a glint in his eye and say, "Imagine being a 20 year old kid flying one of those babies."

F4U-photo.jpg

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Thank all veterans for their service. Especially R A Fort (father in law) who was a pilot, went through D-Day and fought in Patton's Army all the way through to the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.