Thank you Veterans!

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The University Athletic Association will honor members of the armed forces, veterans and local first responders as part of Florida's annual Saluting Those Who Serve game, presented by Vystar Credit Union. The Gators will host Samford at the Swamp, and kickoff is scheduled for noon.

The celebration will be kicked off by the All Veteran Group, which is comprised by both active duty members and veterans, parachuting into Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Fans will also enjoy a flyover conducted by Patrol Squadron Thirty and the Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Weapons School, flying a P-8A "Poseidon" stationed at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida.

The honorary "Mr. Two Bits" ceremony for Saturday's game against Samford will play into the "Saluting Those Who Serve" theme, with a trio of ROTC cadets leading the cheer.
upload_2021-11-11_11-33-55.png

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The University Athletic Association will honor members of the armed forces, veterans and local first responders as part of Florida's annual Saluting Those Who Serve game, presented by Vystar Credit Union. The Gators will host Samford at the Swamp, and kickoff is scheduled for noon.

The celebration will be kicked off by the All Veteran Group, which is comprised by both active duty members and veterans, parachuting into Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

Fans will also enjoy a flyover conducted by Patrol Squadron Thirty and the Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Weapons School, flying a P-8A "Poseidon" stationed at Naval Air Station Jacksonville, Florida.

The honorary "Mr. Two Bits" ceremony for Saturday's game against Samford will play into the "Saluting Those Who Serve" theme, with a trio of ROTC cadets leading the cheer.
Le'ts go Brandon! And Josh and Eric!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
To all our vets and active service members (and those everywhere), Happy Veterans Day! We are a far better country than we'd be otherwise thanks to your service.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Sometimes when it comes up in conversation with someone I don't know, and the person says, "thank you for your service," I look off into the distance with a wistful stare and say, "You don't have to thank me...it was truly my pleasure."

I like to let them think I'm recalling all the jihadis I smoked as I stand there reminiscing about banging freaky German chicks. :scratchchin:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Le'ts go Brandon! And Josh and Eric!
Hahaha, good catch!

Fuchs is behind this. Obviously he has a scolding speech he's been dying to deliver about our deplorable fans chanting "Let's go, Brandon," at football games, but they haven't actually done it in Gainesville yet, so he didn't want to leave anything to chance.

There is no way in hell that Midshipman Brandon Roberts gets introduced as an honorary Mister Two Bits and the crowd does not let it rip.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Never was shot at.....Never was in danger of PTSD....
In some areas where the **** could have hit the fan but never did.
Didn't serve during a war.....Had quite a few interactions with Russians....Saw a lot of stuff...Had a lot of tense and stressful times.....BUT, Was proud to serve, proud to do my part, proud to put the uniform on and stand my watch.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Wonderful! I wish my dad was still around to thank.
A great big Thanks to your dad! WWII?
Korea & Vietnam. He was a couple of years too young for WII. His older brother served under Patton.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
5e1e277de7990.image.jpg

My Uncle. This man was as solid as they come.

Hamet Lee served his country honorably and nobly during World War II in the United States Army with the 157th Combat Engineer Battalion, where he earned several medals including three Battle Stars and the Purple Heart. He served in the Army in the Normandy, Northern France and Rhineland Campaigns and was captured in Germany on January 1, 1945 during the Battle of the Bulge. Corporal Piercy remained a POW until April 23, 1945 when Russian forces, attacking and advancing near Dresden, Germany liberated Stalag 4-B. Held for some days by the Russians under very fluid and confusing circumstances, Corporal Piercy and his men decided to “escape” from the Russian unit that was holding them and seek out a US unit to complete their re-patriotization. He and his men were welcomed with great surprise by the unit that found them, and they were transported back to a US Army Field Hospital. After being released from the US Army medical system after his recuperation from captivity, Corporal Piercy and his men returned to the United States as bonafide war heroes and took their rightful part of America’s Greatest Generation.

Hamet Lee returned to his family farm after being released from the Army in 1945 and raised both tobacco and cattle until retirement. He enjoyed gardening, looking after his neighbors and family. He loved baseball and was an avid New York Yankees fan. He was a member of the American Legion Post 79, the VFW and the American Ex-Prisoners of War. He was also a life-long member of Tabernacle Baptist Church.

In 2010, Hamet Lee was honored with the French Legion of Honor medal in Washington. In June 2019, he was one of more than 100 WWII veterans honored during the 75th Anniversary commemoration of D-Day, at the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, Virginia with his family.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Never was shot at.....Never was in danger of PTSD....
In some areas where the **** could have hit the fan but never did.
Didn't serve during a war.....Had quite a few interactions with Russians....Saw a lot of stuff...Had a lot of tense and stressful times.....BUT, Was proud to serve, proud to do my part, proud to put the uniform on and stand my watch.

Same. I don’t have any stories that will wow anyone. 29 years, 3 months. This is my first Veterans Day as a retired vet. It was my honor to serve and there’s plenty of outstanding people who sacrificed way more than I did.

All gave some, some gave all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator