The 2017 state of the board discussion thread

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
So LBoy asks to be banned so he isn't tempted to post. Ridiculous.

Sonoma was one of our best recruiting guys and in the span of 24 hours goes completely insane. PDS was well... PDS.

And all of the others that have been banned (that I recall) have been spammers or trolls.

As for temporary bans - there have been a lot handed out. Hell I think Law was banned a few days just a couple months back.

Well I am just being honest in acknowledging that board posting, like other forms of social media, can be compulsive behavior, and in my case it was the only way to force a hard break, which I needed.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well I am just being honest in acknowledging that board posting, like other forms of social media, can be compulsive behavior, and in my case it was the only way to force a hard break, which I needed.

I'm glad you're back. And I'll tweet out support for your son's middle school. My point on the entire matter is saying to delete your account is a little dramatic. You could've just taken time off. People do it all the time on the board. In fact a lot of members completely disappear from about the end of orange and blue until the beginning of the season.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
And links like on Drudge where when some get there fill of this place they can just click to one of the other sites. Like changing channels back and forth.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Plus there's only about a half dozen of us liberals on the board.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I'm glad you're back. And I'll tweet out support for your son's middle school. My point on the entire matter is saying to delete your account is a little dramatic. You could've just taken time off. People do it all the time on the board. In fact a lot of members completely disappear from about the end of orange and blue until the beginning of the season.

I did that a couple of times before, but I let myself get sucked back in. it is a self control issue. I enjoy posting while posting, but at the end of the day I am not happy that I have wasted so much time, and often go away angry because my view, whether in sports or politics, is often in the minority.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I did that a couple of times before, but I let myself get sucked back in. it is a self control issue. I enjoy posting while posting, but at the end of the day I am not happy that I have wasted so much time, and often go away angry because my view, whether in sports or politics, is often in the minority.

There's a reason why I don't frequent the political forum. It's infuriating.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Plus there's only about a half dozen of us liberals on the board.

After the election I had to take a break. The PF is now an echo chamber, and I'm on the wrong side. 90% of the threads are things I don't want to talk about, and I feel like I'm on a different planet. Just easier to walk away.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Whoa! Welcome back L!

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I wanted to respond to this. For some people, a pumper-only board is what they would like to be a part of, and there's nothing wrong with that. There are other boards that suppress negativism of the program. While I hate to lose anyone, I would encourage them to try those boards. The entire point of these boards is to enjoy yourself, and if you hate the tone here there's no reason to visit.

Saying that, Gatorchatter will never be like that. The GSMB wasn't like that either. I am not offended in the least by someone who decides it's just not their cup of tea.

You are kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'll focus on the sports part. The politics side is a completely different beast.

I have never posted in the sports forum a lot. Occasionally, but not much. The reasons:

I am not a pumper, but at the same time the negativity is overwhelming. I get as frustrated when things go bad for the Gators as the next guy, but at this point in my life I have become more fair weathered about it. Too many things to let this overwhelm me. For 15 years these types of forums are mostly about how the coach sucks, how the starting QB sucks, and the AD sucks. I was in these forums when fans said Spurrier was washed up, couldn't recruit anymore, and we needed new blood. Many of these fans were initially quite excited at Zook and his recruiting prowess. I started posting when things got bad with Zook, but the posts were so negative while I didn't stick up for him per se, I found myself often taking the contrarian point of view. Many were critical of Meyer in his last couple of years, including Tebow's last year when we won every game except SEC championship. Many times people were piling on Billy Donovan, and now the new guy.

its a catch 22. You really can't filter out people's comments. They should be reasonably free, within reason, to post what they want. But coming to a forum and hearing how bad the gators are isn't conducive to following them as a fan.

One reason I don't post much in the sports forum is by nature I tend to like to debate - which is why I gravitated to politics. Debating about the Gators finds me not liking very many of the fans online, when in real life I'm sure I'd have no issue with.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Please stay. You'll be happy you did.

We will see how it goes. I was working in Jan and Feb a lot - but now that is dropped off a lot as RadioShack (I do contract work for them) went bankrupt again

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I don't see leaving because of the negativity, but I can definitely tell you that it is getting old.

It isn't so much the negative comments when there is something bad that happens. It is more that even when something good happens there are people who automatically spin the thread into a Mac sucks discussion. It seems that is all some people want to talk about... how bad Mac is.

I don't mind a good discussion around negative items or debating strategy, but it gets very annoying when every thread on here turns into the same discussion over and over again with the same people hitting you over the head with their opinions that are stated as fact.

That said... I'm not sure what to do about it to be honest... it is a message board and unless you want to get super crazy and ban people then the board culture is created by us the members. I think the best thing is that those of us who are not "bashers" need to continue to create a positive message on the board and back each other up. Be honest... when things are bad... say they are bad, but celebrate the good stuff and don't allow the "bashers" to take over a thread.

Well said. I actually sent Ox a PM a few months ago with the same sentiments....that I was leaving due to incessant negativity. Upon visiting the various alternatives I decided to return because it's clear that Gatorchatter is a better site that allows far more give and take on all issues.

As others have said, it's not the negative comments or the differing opinions....it's the repetitive nature of the comments and their insertion into any and every discussion. At the end of the day I don't know that there's a reasonable way to police opinions so I choose to enjoy the site while acknowledging both its good and bad qualities.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I dislike a few of you most of the time. I like a few of you some of the time. I like most of you most of the time. And this is as posters, mind you. As people I'd probably like all of you..most of the time.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Like whore :shakehead:

One of you mods deleted all the poolside bikini pictures. Don't know why. None were risque. These aren't "models". They're real Gator girls wearing what they wear on Spring Break.

Not a "like" whore. When threads get a little testy, I like to toss in some humor or T&A to lighten the mood. Every now and then we need to be reminded what we have in common. We're ALL Gators. We ALL love the Gators. We're not 'Noles or Vols or 'Dwags. We're Orange & Blue, through and through. Gator born and Gator bred and when we die we'll be Gator dead.

And we ALL love Gator hotties (even Queenie, despite her idea of hotties being very different than mine).

If you want my serious input on this thread for a moment, I'll keep it short (for a change). I like that we don't censor ourselves. I don't like that every single thread has to devolve into Mac sucks and Foley sucks. If the thread is about recruiting, somebody will have an opinion (a correct one) that Mac isn't a good recruiter so far and Foley let our facilities fall behind which hurts. That's reasonable. You expect that in that thread. If the thread is about O'Dome renovations or your all-time favorite left guard, then there's no need to hijack that thread into Mac sucks and Foley sucks. It's the hijacking that's sometimes a problem.

And I (for one) like having both pumpers and dumpers. It's nice to get different perspectives.

Oh, and Erin Andrews just because I can.

erin-andrews-hot.jpg

Alex.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
One of you mods deleted all the poolside bikini pictures. Don't know why. None were risque. These aren't "models". They're real Gator girls wearing what they wear on Spring Break.

Not a "like" whore. When threads get a little testy, I like to toss in some humor or T&A to lighten the mood. Every now and then we need to be reminded what we have in common. We're ALL Gators. We ALL love the Gators. We're not 'Noles or Vols or 'Dwags. We're Orange & Blue, through and through. Gator born and Gator bred and when we die we'll be Gator dead.

And we ALL love Gator hotties (even Queenie, despite her idea of hotties being very different than mine).

If you want my serious input on this thread for a moment, I'll keep it short (for a change). I like that we don't censor ourselves. I don't like that every single thread has to devolve into Mac sucks and Foley sucks. If the thread is about recruiting, somebody will have an opinion (a correct one) that Mac isn't a good recruiter so far and Foley let our facilities fall behind which hurts. That's reasonable. You expect that in that thread. If the thread is about O'Dome renovations or your all-time favorite left guard, then there's no need to hijack that thread into Mac sucks and Foley sucks. It's the hijacking that's sometimes a problem.

And I (for one) like having both pumpers and dumpers. It's nice to get different perspectives.

Oh, and Erin Andrews just because I can.

erin-andrews-hot.jpg

Alex.
Boo mods!
tumblr_ls7u70SHtM1qa54sa.gif

SC Gator

Sorta Kinda
Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Well as you know my world view is all flowers and gumdrops and kumbaya so it might not surprise you that the negativity does keep me away for bits at a time. (not the PF, that is expected) I like message boards because I get news about UF and can "watch" a game with fellow Gators and joke around. So I come here to cheer on the Gators with fellow fans. But clearly some come to complain because, well, let's face it, the Football program is not up to par with what we had 8-20 years ago. Not sure what you can do about it. Free market will dictate. If people hate all the negativity and becomes a place for that, then that is what it will become. I certainly have vented a few times.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
this thread is amusing, but its existence is emblematic with what is wrong with our country and how it has changed for the worse over the past 30 years.
People crying about others being mean to them or being offended by differences in how opinions are presented would have been met with the appropriate ribbing and scorn and rightfully so. We have become a watered down PC society and that's the genesis of where we are and why millenials are the way they are.

This is part of the problem here. A thread was started by the Forum owner to elicit different opinions, which many have been given. But then you always have posts like this, which basically trying to simplify things by saying there is something inherently wrong with the people who give different opinions. They lack some sort of moral character, blah blah blah, because they don't think like and aren't like me!!

Sure, one has to be thick skinned, but after a while it grows old. This is ultimately a form of entertainment, and not shockingly some people don't want to hang out at place with people like this. Life is too short.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I did that a couple of times before, but I let myself get sucked back in. it is a self control issue. I enjoy posting while posting, but at the end of the day I am not happy that I have wasted so much time...
stuart-smalley.jpg

I think we all feel the same way.... except Ox. He is glad we waste time here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb